Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Redcine feature request
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    I would really love the ability to start from a statically placed 4k image and create moving 2k images in post. Case in point: to take a shot of a house and zoom in towards the window while staying in 2k the whole time, or to take a shot and pan across a 4k image while outputting a 2k image.

Because...fx matte shots are so much easier if you can lock the image down on a tripod but the shots are so boring that way. I've seen people do digital zooms in post but you can only go a tiny bit before the SD or even HD image falls apart, but if we could do all fx on a 4k and then zoom in to a final 2k image then that would work great.

Or...am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is this something easily done in an existing software that can handle 4k->2k dynamic digital zooms?
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

2. Collapse Details
    Existing software will probably do the trick. I've used adobe after effects to create fake movement in static frames (ie: fake handheld wobble in locked shots), but have always hated that I couldn't push things very far without losing too much rez...

What do you know, there's yet another reason to want a Red!
    RED ONE #362
    RED ZOOM #267

3. Collapse Details
    yeah - there's plenty of software out there to do a nice job - even FCP does a pretty good job if given a decently sized source frame to work from. Redcine really just needs to generate the footage in the format/s you need and handle the Red Pull List stuff - lets get that all shipping and working right before grafting additional capabilities onto it, shall we? Any 1.0 software has it's kinks to be worked out, I'm sure Redcine will be no different.

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah, leave that to a dedicated compositing app.
    "I've heard that this project is impossible... hehe" ~ Jim Jannard
    The Pursuit of Happyness

5. Collapse Details
    Mike makes a good point about getting the basics right first, however at one point in the process, maybe a month or two ago, Graeme indicated that cropping would be supported by RedCine. Since RedCine is designed by the estimable Mr. Nattress and built to handle 4k image data in its original format it would likely be the best (read fastest) place to do your cropping. If the 1.0 version needs to ship without the cropping feature I harbor no ill will toward Graeme or anyone on the Red Team just because it was mentioned in some post, I will however humbly ask that it be a very high priority for version 2.0.

Blair S. Paulsen
    RedOne #19

6. Collapse Details
    Cropping, positioning & resizing is in REDCINE.
    www.red.com - RED - 4k Digital Cinema Camera

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Rob, Graeme, Stuart and the whole Red Team - this is a tremendous feature. I hate to bring this up but at some point the community will need to be advised on the ownership, licensing, fair use, "whatever" limitations of the RedCine software and the RedCode codec. Is it true that RedCode will be available at least as a reader in the next iteration of QuickTime?

I understand that the response may still be that such issues remain to be worked out, that's OK - Rome wasn't built in a day. It is however, hard not to ponder the implications to Red users of the way that the intellectual property rights are managed. No disrespect to the accomplishment of making the camera itself but the software/codec bundle Graeme and the Red Team are building is huge deal all by itself.

Blair S. Paulsen
    RedOne #19

8. Collapse Details
    We are not building a camera that you can't use the images from. Hence the development of the codec, REDCINE and so on. Obviously we are looking at the business side as well, but as with everything else we want to empower the user. Not limit her or him. More details to follow next year!

That's the best I can do at the moment.

9. Collapse Details
    Good answer Rob. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Graeme
    www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

10. Collapse Details
    I want REAL color control in RedCine,,not some basic NLE color correct... We want node based, color suppression, curves, color wheels, all tools should be node based like DIgital Fusion and work in float point it's a great work flow and is very powerful for color control. I assume you will have stuff like format conversion and all that so my biggest thing would be color correct AND RENDER speed! make it work with networked CPU power please!! ;)

I like the new workflow that Adobe LightRoom BETA has, select, correct, crop scale etc, output....

Oh ya, I almost forgot...please make it an easy workflow inside the program, so your not mindlessly clicking buttons all day to get what you need done that should take 10clicks not 50...what about keyboard shortcuts? love em!

I hope this input helps!

Presets! make presets for EVERYTHING so you can build your own. ALso automation would be nice so you can load footage and hit "automate" and it will crop, format, color correct etc from a preset!
    Last edited by obin; 12-30-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast