Thread: Red vs D20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Red vs D20
    You can now download from ARRI website http://www.arri.com/prod/cam/d_20/d_20_images.htm, 3 pictures from the D20
    They are TIFF and represent the full resolution from the camera.
    also they have been graded.

Well guess what ?
    They are about 10x more noisy than images from the RED, not to forget that full resolution on the D20 is "only" 2k.
    There is only the Dynamic Range that seems really good.

Just wanted to share

2. Collapse Details
    Looks really good, but definitely noisier than the RED pics we've seen. I'd be really interested in seeing a comparison between the two (real world footage, not resolution charts), with the D20 at 2K and RED at 2K scaled from 4K. Should yield interesting results.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I've seen those. I've got mixed messages about the D20, but this thread pointed to the same thing :http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ighlight=noise

I agree that there needs to be the same parameters for the test, and with repeatable results involved, for there to be any true comparison. The noise issue can be overblow sometimes, but on the big screen it's a definite variable - one which we take into real consideration when choosing film stocks, for example.

Those stills were rated 400 ISO, so they may have been pushed and graded for that.

I hope we can get a shootout with the competing cams - Viper/Genesis/D 20/Cinealta etc.. after the
    camera starts shipping, but to be honest I don't know if some of them would want to put their ponys next to RED (considering the price)...

Vive la resolution

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by D_and_G
    Those stills were rated 400 ISO, so they may have been pushed and graded for that.

I hope we can get a shootout with the competing cams - Viper/Genesis/D 20/Cinealta etc.. after the
    camera starts shipping, but to be honest I don't know if some of them would want to put their ponys next to RED (considering the price)...

Vive la resolution
    Hi,

Noise has been an issue with the D20, however the viewfinder is very good!

I think Geoff Boyle is planning a Back to Back of all avaliable digital cameras V 35mm & 16mm in January/ February. Hopefully Red will be there, I guess Genesis will be busy that week!

Stephen

5. Collapse Details
    Andreas Berkl from Arri Munich told me that the D20 is capable of shooting 4K. Who says it's only 2K?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Andreas Berkl from Arri Munich told me that the D20 is capable of shooting 4K. Who says it's only 2K?
    Hi,

I¨think you are correct, there was just no way for them to record the data!

Stephen

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Well the stills you can download are marked "in full resolution" and they actually are 1920x1080.
    If the D20 was shooting 4k (wich I've never heard of) I'm certain this information would be hard to miss on their website don't ya think

8. Collapse Details
    Jims girls are hotter.

9. Collapse Details
    I think the D20 is trying to mimic film. I like the RED image much better.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Coleman
    I think the D20 is trying to mimic film. .
    Hi Paul,

That is Arri's goal.

Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast