1. Collapse Details
    Running on RedRails
    I have asked this question a few times before but not really had an answer. Jims superb new renders made me think it was about time to bring it up again.

RedRails seem to be pretty much an essential component of the camera now, both the battery and the drive appear to require RedRails in order to mount with the camera. Will RedRails exist at camera launch? if not then what is the likely timescale? I know at this stage of development some will be likely to think "lets just let the team concentrate on getting the camera out" but I can't imagine quite how I am going to be able to use the camera without some mounting solution, so I think it is a fair question to be asking now.

The other aspect is cost, but I appreciate that this is a difficult one to answer because of all possible permutations so I am happy to make some assumptions on that.

By the way, love the way everything is looking with the new renders

Martin

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah, It's hard to imagine using this camera without some sort of rails system attached. Though, one could always just get a regular set of rails if the RED-RAILS are too expensive or are not available at time of launch, right?

Here's one option that might work:

http://store.zacuto.com/home.php?cat=27

Of course, I'd rather get the one specifically desinged by the RED team for use with the camera, but other rails may be worth checking out, too.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    Considering they are doing all that onboard compression and frequent design modification stuff, I'd be very, VERY surprised if they couldn't manufacture some carbon fiber rods and metal bits with no electronics in them in fairly short order.

Personally, I'm not worried about it. Price? Given the price of everything else, I'm not expecting it to be too painful.

4. Collapse Details
    Certain people may already have a base plate/rods setup from previous cameras. Most of the buyers, however, will probably spring for the RED-RAIL/CAGE/whatever it is now [they seem to have become one... unless the cage name simply represents the four "arm" pieces now]. Knowing the way that RED has been pricing their toys... well, color me excited for the final price figures.
    "I've heard that this project is impossible... hehe" ~ Jim Jannard
    The Pursuit of Happyness

5. Collapse Details
    Are the Red Rails 15mm or 19mm? On some prototype renders it looked like the camera had both sized spacing.
    I hope the unit will have 15mm Rods/Rails as most video matteboxes will fit...things get larger, more expensive and heavier with the 19mm variant.
    Cheers,

Brian Broz
    Vancouver Groover

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Broz
    Are the Red Rails 15mm or 19mm? On some prototype renders it looked like the camera had both sized spacing.
    I hope the unit will have 15mm Rods/Rails as most video matteboxes will fit...things get larger, more expensive and heavier with the 19mm variant.
    Cheers,

Brian Broz
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...6&postcount=32

7. Collapse Details
    Some people will just use their existing Redrock acessories...

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCurtis
    Considering they are doing all that onboard compression and frequent design modification stuff, I'd be very, VERY surprised if they couldn't manufacture some carbon fiber rods and metal bits with no electronics in them in fairly short order.
    Yup, it doesn't seem to be a huge task in comparison with everything else that needs to happen. I am just a bit suprised that the question hasn't been answered and the subject put to bed. All I can assume is there must be a reason, maybe they are still deciding how RedRails fits in with the overall strategy; maybe it is still much more a work-in-progress and they don't feel it necessary to paint themselves into a corner by definining timescales etc; maybe RedRails will turn out to be the suprise gift for all reservation holders (hey it's Christmas... I can dream). It just seems there is some indication of timescale for all the every other elements, but nothing about RedRails/RedCage.

As mentioned, there are a number of other rail mounting systems and it wouldn't be that big a deal to knock up a bespoke solution for just mounting the drive and battery, but RedRails is looking very good on the new renders. It seems to be pretty well conceived and is definitely going to be the most painless way to go.

As I mentioned, I am happy to make assumptions about pricing. Red have already established a track record for very agressive price points so I am not worried about that.

Martin