Thread: HD literature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tmca28
    does anyone know of any books from 2006 that are cutting edge and deal with 2K or even 4K HD film making? Thanks in advance
    The problem with a lot of this stuff is that by the time a book comes out on 2K/4K, it is already partially obsolete! The best sources for information are print and online forums and periodicals.

Some of my favorite books, just for pure reference:

File Interchange Handbook for Images, Audio, and Metadata
    Brad Gilmer

A Technical Introduction to Digital Video
    Charles Poynton
    This book is a bit outdated in some areas, but is still a great introduction to very fundamental concepts in color space, signal format, etc.

Digital Intermediates for Film and Video
    Jack James

The Quantel Digital Fact Book and Digital Film Supplement
    Various
    Parts of these documents have (obviously) a very Quantel-centric slant, but are still overall extremely good texts on many basic concepts in digital imagery. There are available for free on the Quantel website.

Lucas

2. Collapse Details
    Jarred ought to make a blog that users could publish articles such as how to's etc in, maybe we could get an almanac published each year with the best bits in. Royalties paid to each user who has an article published in it perhaps? - Would inspire more people to write something decent.

As a designer I'd be more than happy to put together a publication, can do the website to if people feel there is a need for something like this.

Admittedly it's pretty much the same as a forum, but I meant something a little more definitive, that people can publish an article and gather others comments and then edit accordingly at the end of the year before publication.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersapien
    Jarred ought to make a blog that users could publish articles such as how to's etc in, maybe we could get an almanac published each year with the best bits in. Royalties paid to each user who has an article published in it perhaps? - Would inspire more people to write something decent.

As a designer I'd be more than happy to put together a publication, can do the website to if people feel there is a need for something like this.

Admittedly it's pretty much the same as a forum, but I meant something a little more definitive, that people can publish an article and gather others comments and then edit accordingly at the end of the year before publication.
    Good idea... Maybe instead of a forum it should be more of a Wikipedia type of setup, where the articles can be updated frequently by anyone (subject to verification) and can have multiple subdivisions (REDCODE setup, RAW workflow, Aspect Ratios, etc.) that get more full as users post their expertise.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah I would second that - it's a great idea...

5. Collapse Details
    Homer et al,
    I reckon you have a huge idea here.
    Guess the biggie here is 'table of contents' and approach to how you'll present this information. Maybe it could also be RED centric.

Dave Farland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12