1. Collapse Details
    How to Install Previous Version of Internet Explorer
    There wasn't a forum topic that seem to fit my question, so I stuck it here.

Can anyone tell me the best way (maybe only way) to install an earlier version of Internet Explorer on a PC running XP Pro. I updated to 7 and it's been a mess since. My mistake for not doing some prior research as there's lots out there talking about it's incompatibility.

I've tried downloading 6 from Microsoft but it won't allow me to do so as I "already have a newer version".

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I can tell you exactly how to fix IE, download FireFox! I mean, IE is so out of date and buggy. FireFox, the fastest growing browser at present.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

3. Collapse Details
    Unless FireFox decides it doesn't want to work on your PC. Tried to load a new version on my wife's PC, and it kept popping open Google Searchbar preferences, and not working in general. That machine is still running IE, and still full of viruses.

4. Collapse Details
    Hey, I downloaded Firefox and really like it. Thanks for the idea.
    BTW- I did figure out how to uninstall IE 7.0. Pretty simple, this particular version allows you to remove it via "Add or Remove Programs" control panel. It will restore you back to 6.x version (or previously loaded version).

Thx,
    Joe
    Joe

5. Collapse Details
    Well, I used Firefox for a while and like it, except-- I can't access my ftp site. If anyone knows of a way, please let me know.

Thx,
    Joe
    Joe

6. Collapse Details
    Use AceFTP. It's free, and works great.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quirk
    Use AceFTP. It's free, and works great.
    That would be good if it were for just me, but I have clients that I pass off files to using my ftp site. I need it to be accessible via a browser.
    Joe

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Hicks
    Hey, I downloaded Firefox and really like it. Thanks for the idea.
    BTW- I did figure out how to uninstall IE 7.0. Pretty simple, this particular version allows you to remove it via "Add or Remove Programs" control panel. It will restore you back to 6.x version (or previously loaded version).

Thx,
    Joe
    Joe, I dont know if you know this but even after you uninstall IE7 on a computer it will continue to try to upgrade it back via critical updates. If you do an express install it will automatically reinstall it. if you do a custom install you can choose to have windows update not show this update again. this will prevent you from seeing it again unless you choose to install it. If you have automatic update enabled (as most people do) you must ignore it in the automatic update window via custom install. to do this you may have to change your automatic update preferences. email or PM me if you want more details.

As an IT administrator this program has been giving me fits everyday since it was sent out by MS. My recommendation for everyone I talk to is to use firefox, it is much more stable than either version of IE.
    Tim Harry
    Bandwagon Media
    Odessa, TX
    www.bandwagonhd.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Harry
    Joe, I dont know if you know this but even after you uninstall IE7 on a computer it will continue to try to upgrade it back via critical updates. If you do an express install it will automatically reinstall it. if you do a custom install you can choose to have windows update not show this update again. this will prevent you from seeing it again unless you choose to install it. If you have automatic update enabled (as most people do) you must ignore it in the automatic update window via custom install. to do this you may have to change your automatic update preferences. email or PM me if you want more details.

As an IT administrator this program has been giving me fits everyday since it was sent out by MS. My recommendation for everyone I talk to is to use firefox, it is much more stable than either version of IE.
    Thanks for the info. I manually update my computer weekly (I, too, was an IT guy once upon a time). Anyway, I reserve Friday's as my "computer health" day. I run MS update manually, then Spybot, then Adaware, then delete all footage not needed and archive finished stuff, then finally defrag all six drives.

Yes, I have chosen to "not show" the IE7 update anymore, as well, I did the same for Windows Media Player 11. Haven't tried the new version, but lately all latest and greatest from MS isn't so great and causes a lot of problems. I'll stick with what I know works.

Yeah, I've tried Firefox and like it, but... can't access ftp sites with it-- and that's big for my work style.

Thx,
    Joe
    Joe