1. Collapse Details
    RED Drive failure
    With the RED Drives now being a two drive RAID 0 config, the chances of drive failure goes up considerably. Yes, random drive failure is always slim, but if I can't tell my clients it CAN'T fail, it makes them nervous.

Is there any chance the RED Drives will have a self monitoring system like Apple's S.M.A.R.T. Status of there drives? If a RED Drive was 'nearing failure' it would be nice if it could let us know...

-John
    RED #613
    www.myspace.com/ShootRED

If only this thing came out when I was in filmschool...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 70mmDV
    With the RED Drives now being a two drive RAID 0 config, the chances of drive failure goes up considerably. Yes, random drive failure is always slim, but if I can't tell my clients it CAN'T fail, it makes them nervous.

Is there any chance the RED Drives will have a self monitoring system like Apple's S.M.A.R.T. Status of there drives? If a RED Drive was 'nearing failure' it would be nice if it could let us know...

-John
    RED #613
    www.myspace.com/ShootRED

If only this thing came out when I was in filmschool...
    I actually think that RAID 1 is an option for the reddrives. no worries.

3. Collapse Details
    I have used RAID 1 drives with the HVX and experienced what happens when you have a drive failure. The units go into a rebuild mode. I had two 250 gig drives. The rebuild mode duplicates the entire surface of the drive whether there is stored data or not. Nearly two hours to rebuild. Believe me, RAID 1 has no place on a shoot, an edit bay MAYBE.

4. Collapse Details
    Given what's at stake, I can't imagine not having completely redundant drives one one of these shoots. Even on my piddly shoots I am running to my Firestore, first backup to tape, and emergency backup to S-VHS (or DVCam if I feel like dragging the VTR along).

I guess you guys are worknig in an environment where a re-take or a re-shoot is possible. I am usually running live with an audience.