Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Specs changes...
    Here we go. We are in the process of simplifying the record options in camera. With the development of REDCODE and REDCINE, it seems evident that the number of format options can shrink without consequence. We will be posting the new Format Options page shortly. Anything you want will still be available either in camera or with REDCINE.

As a side note... anyone who doesn't record REDCODE is making a mistake (IMHO).

Jim

2. Collapse Details
    true enough Jim.. once people learn the benifits of shooting REDCODE and the incredible quality and post processing options it delivers, shooting Non-Redcode doesn't make much sense.

Its important to note that this is just the camera recording format.. When you take the footage into REDCINE, you will be able to export almost any resolution/format you want.

3. Collapse Details
    Doesn't seem like a bad thing. If anything, this almost leverages the benefits of the camera by "forcing" people to use higher quality formats [considering that the data rate of these high-end formats is so low compared to previous formats]. It allows for a user to output their deliverables to whatever they need and "future-proofs" the footage by leaving a 2K or 4K [or whatever other formats remain] master behind. I'd hate to see somebody come off of the set with a drive full of 720p only to wish they'd shot 2K.

It could also "force" RAW data into the hands of those looking to shoot at a lower quality format. Maybe they'll see the light when they get to manipulate that RAW data so freely before conforming to their finishing resolution.

It might piss off some ENG/docu guys who shoot 20 hours of footage a day... but I'm assuming at least one smaller format [smaller meaning 720 or 1080] will remain?

Fewer potentially confusing options on the camera is fine by me, but I'm a narrative cine guy.
    "I've heard that this project is impossible... hehe" ~ Jim Jannard
    The Pursuit of Happyness

4. Collapse Details
    Brook... I've always liked you. You are exactly correct on all fronts. The new Format Page is up on www.red.com.

Jim

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the update, Jim. Look forward to seeing the new options.

I would have to agree that Redcode is the best way to go - as long as storage prices are reasonable. With the 320GB Red drive under $1000, I'd say that's pretty reasonable. Hopefully the Red cine process won't bog down the computers too much. I'm sure Graeme won't let us down.

6. Collapse Details
    Well you just made my night. I've always liked you too.
    Here is the link. I'm liking the 720p@120fps in-camera. I'll still dream about S35mm/2540p in REDCODE, though. Maybe someday.

I could've seen this post ruffling a lot of feathers before the mini-RAID announcement. Considering the recording options now, though... I can't imagine this causing much of a stir.

Every RED owner will do tests on their own. Even if all they do is take the camera to their back yard and shoot all of the different options, there is not a RED that will ship that won't shoot 4K REDCODE within about 10 minutes of being unpacked. Then I bet they'll see what you guys clearly already have. Put that up against HD formats and... well... the story tells itself.
    Last edited by Brook Willard; 12-18-2006 at 11:45 PM.
    "I've heard that this project is impossible... hehe" ~ Jim Jannard
    The Pursuit of Happyness

7. Collapse Details
    The simplicity of the options makes a lot more sense. And there is always 720P and 1080P RGB for those that want to shoot it in camera. My bet is that most will shoot 4k REDCODE or 2k REDCODE and REDCINE to whatever they need... maintaining a digital negative for the future.

Jim

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumfun
    Thanks for the update, Jim. Look forward to seeing the new options.

I would have to agree that Redcode is the best way to go - as long as storage prices are reasonable. .
    thats the beauty of it.. REDCODE takes less space than RGB, 2k REDCODE RAW records almost 2x as much time as 1080p RGB.

9. Collapse Details
    The Reverend imgentertainment@mac's Avatar
    i really belive this is what makes this camera revolustionary. Not the price point. not that it can shoot 4K, It is how it shoots it and how it lets us actualy use that kind of deta. We are talking about putting footage in a post production pipeline that would have taken a full post production house to do and putting in on our personal desktops. That words can't discribe.
    "Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy"
    Benjamin Franklin

10. Collapse Details
    The simplified recording options make a lot of sense given the aparant quality of redcode. Can I have mine for Christmas please ?
    Aloha
    -A
    RED # 086 #1031, ZOOM#38

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast