Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What you can get out of Red footage in post - 'look' example
    Some time ago I downloaded the 4k milk example screenshot and found it fascinating as a basis for post production. So I took my time and developed a fully adjustable look with just the onboard tools of photoshop.
    So you can finetune the grain (in the low/mid/highlights), the white diffusion, sharpness and so on virtually.

Here is an example, what you can do with that kind of clean neutral original footage. I hope some of you who are not experts in image manipultion find these inspiring.

Original

digital graded

2. Collapse Details
    I think you can go way further when working directly with the RAW files...

- Not that there is anything wrong with yours!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Freezer, but if you do a search on the threads here you'll find a few topics with lots of colour corrected Red 4K footage already done.

You can do it in photoshop but as thats not for moving images I think people use anything from AE, FCP, Combustion - and some lucky people have access to Lustre Im sure.

So far I've only CC'd with DV footage so have been pretty limited with what I've been able to achieve. I think you'll be able to push the curves so much more than has been pervious possible with compressed footage. Secondary colour correction should be a lot more viable too.

I'm excited, and I've had quite good results with graded DV. This should be amazing.
    Last edited by Darkline; 12-14-2006 at 01:05 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Darkline, the nice thing is, that all of the corrections I did with photoshop can be easily replicated with After Effects or any other compositing software. It doesn't require any kind of masking / tracking. Of course you can do much more sophisticated corrections in e.g. Lustre.
    I was just very impressed how hard I can push even this 8-bit (per channel) JPG.

5. Collapse Details
    correction causes sharpness loss ... i like color correction you have done, but i still prefer 1st image sharpness

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by boyadjy
    correction causes sharpness loss ...
    how's that?

7. Collapse Details
    In an 8-bit, chroma-subsampled world where output is recompressed as a lossy jpeg and posted in a thread... yes, color correction causes 'sharpness' loss. When we're working with 12-bit RAW 4K+ imagery... well.
    "I've heard that this project is impossible... hehe" ~ Jim Jannard
    The Pursuit of Happyness

8. Collapse Details
    Yes you 're right i was talking about the jpeg image, i am sure this would not be the case with original raw image ...

9. Collapse Details
    it also looks like some kind of Promist has been applied making it a little soft and glow-y. Perhaps this is what is meant.

10. Collapse Details
    I just used several layer instances of the original and layer math to get this look - it can be adjusted to any look I like and it would take a lot of sharpening if necessary.

What was meant is that you just can shoot neutral without any optical filter and get any look you want later in post. That couldn't be done with normal SD footage before - and only with Highend HD atm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast