Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Iomega RAID 0 640 GB ultra max for $350.00 - if its for the office/studio, love this piece, matches my G5.

2. Collapse Details
    I am using a couple of Maxtor one touch III, 500 gig and one 1000gig(in raid 0, but i have a back up of the files of course...)

I am very happy with them so far, will try the FW800 with my new edit-pc soon...so far i used normal FW(USB2 only.

Dont know how the situation is in the US, but i didnt have to pay an arm and leg to get FW800, most of the big ones got it now.
    They are a bit more expensive then some others, but the recent test i have seen about them semms to justify that..!(it was aboutt the 500gig without raid with FW400/800/usb2)

3. Collapse Details
    How can you know since they are only available in 2007 according to your link !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ullanta
    Glyph drives are the best, fastest, quietest, and by far most reliable.

www.glyphtech.com

4. Collapse Details
    Pardon?

I think that's only for the products pictured there. Glyph has been around a long time, starting I think with SCSI drives for the audio production industry. Cees, you must've read my raves before... I've been using Glyphs for years!
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

5. Collapse Details
    I think he just got confused on the FW800 which will be introduced in 2007
    "When my HVX grows up it wants to be a VariCam."

6. Collapse Details
    You are right I made a mistake the release date is for the FW800 version. When I look at the specs it sound familiar to the G-Raid2 (1 or 1.5 TB). What is in your opinion better ? I read good reviews about the stuff G-technology makes.

Pardon?

I think that's only for the products pictured there. Glyph has been around a long time, starting I think with SCSI drives for the audio production industry. Cees, you must've read my raves before... I've been using Glyphs for years!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduc
    Jason, I'm not sure if you aware of the fact that there is only one firewire bus in the computer. The 800 and 400 port share the same bus. Also when you chain stuff together it slows everything down to the slowest link in the chain. i.e. FW400.
    Really? That blows. So if I'm using a drive in the 800 and something in the 400 everything moves at 400 speed? I can live without using my FW sound, but the Pyro sure comes in handy.
    Laying down the ad wisdom as @leeclowsbeard.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, any FW400 device on the computer drops everything to FW400... unless you add an additional FW PCI card (they're cheap...)
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

9. Collapse Details
    I'm tellin ya, the Glyph is the way to go. After reading about Coffee's sad drive problem, I peeked at the web site and saw that Glyph now in addition offers 2 years of free data recovery. Not repair, not replacement - DATA RECOVERY! There is noone out there who stands behind their products the way Glyph does. Free overnight replacement of drives for three years. Free data recovery. How could they afford this if their drives weren't bulletproof?

Not to mention that they're wicked fast, ultra-quiet, and highly compatible.

Ah, you must all come to the light!

Also, they've been selling the quad interface drives ("Gt050Q", "Gt060BR", etc.) with FW800 for a while, too... I think the 2007 date is for the removable "GT Key" units with FW800.
    Last edited by ullanta; 12-11-2006 at 01:18 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, any FW400 device on the computer drops everything to FW400... unless you add an additional FW PCI card (they're cheap...)
    I'm on a MacBook Pro. I did find that the ports share the same controller that resides on the PCI bus. What I couldn't find is a defininitive answer as to whether that slows down the 800 port to 400 speed. One person claimed the actual FW ports can act independently and, since the PCI bus has a 133 MB/sec max and the total theoretical throughput of the 800 and 400 ports combined is 100 MB/sec, all would be peachy. There seems to be quite an argument over this. Doesn't really matter at this point. I didn't pay much more for the 800 version and it's nice to not have so many devices going through my 400 hub.

Still, it'd seem fairly stupid to put on an 800 port that you can truly only use at 800 speeds when not using the 400 port. But stupider things have happened.

Fox
    Laying down the ad wisdom as @leeclowsbeard.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast