Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    External Hard Drive ( HDD ) thread
    Thumbs up
    I recently bought a new core 2 duo macbook pro, with a 100 gig 7200 RPM internal hard drive. I intend to use the internal drive for all the application installs, i.e. Final Cut, etc.

So now I'm looking for an external hard drive to keep all my media on. I'm not looking for any sort of hefty raid setup at this stage - I can progress to that later if needed -

Looking for a range of robust, fast, macbook-friendly hard drives 300gigs+

All suggestions much appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    g-tech mini
    wiebetech.com
    macsales.com

3. Collapse Details
    Go for a G-tech G-Raid. They are not hefty but they're a bit bigger than a single drive enclosure, (about the size of a house brick). It will show up on the desk top as 1 drive but will give you a lot better performance than a single drive. It is raid 0, so there is no redundancy just more speed.

4. Collapse Details
    G-Drive, by G-Technology. I prefer the 250gig. I have about 6 of them, and dont think you need any bigger.
    "When my HVX grows up it wants to be a VariCam."

5. Collapse Details
    Just got a 500GB Mercury Elite-AL Pro RAID from MacSales last week. I, too, just got a MBP Core 2 and needed an external drive. I got one with FW800 so I wouldn't have worry about my audio interface or ADS Pryo slowing everything down on the FW400 bus. So far, it's stupid fast. I got the 500 because the price difference between it and a 320 wasn't enough to go for the savings. I ended up repartitioning it so I can backup my MBP onto it, too.
    Laying down the ad wisdom as @leeclowsbeard.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonFox
    I got one with FW800 so I wouldn't have worry about my audio interface or ADS Pryo slowing everything down on the FW400 bus.
    Jason, I'm not sure if you aware of the fact that there is only one firewire bus in the computer. The 800 and 400 port share the same bus. Also when you chain stuff together it slows everything down to the slowest link in the chain. i.e. FW400.

7. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduc
    It is raid 0, so there is no redundancy just more speed.
    I have a difficult time recommending RAID 0 for anything that isn't expendable and where throughput isn't the only concern -- not only do you not get the redundancy benefits of RAID 1, but you are increasing the likelyhood of data loss because there are now more potential points of failure. The loss of either drive will mean that you lose everything on both drives. IMHO, RAID 0 is a really bad choice especially with external drives that get moved around and are subject to vibration, shock etc.

8. Collapse Details
    I use the maxtor ONE Touch III, 300 gig firewire 400/usb drives from staples.
    I got them for $129 on sale a few months back.

Now they are on sale again but for $139.
    They have a rubber cover, making them rugged, and the ability to use usb or firewire is a plus.

They work for me, at a price to buy multiple units.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left...

9. Collapse Details
    Problem with the maxtors is you want to pay an arm and leg to get a FW800. ALSO I must note that Maxotr uses A/B drives (Who knows which you get) BUT G-Technology uses on A+ drives have FW800, and also available are Quad interfaces. But after using FW800, I will never use FW400 again. It is like shooting in SD again I have 2 Maxotrs 250s. and have had for 4 years, and no problems yet, but I back them up regularly. JUST IN CASE
    "When my HVX grows up it wants to be a VariCam."

10. Collapse Details
    Glyph drives are the best, fastest, quietest, and by far most reliable.

www.glyphtech.com
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast