Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    I use several Lacie Rugged drives for my projects in combination with the MacBook and they work great!!

2. Collapse Details
    I read through this forum but looks like everyone is talking about external drives for computers/editing so far.
    Is anyone recording from an HPX170 direct to SSD via SDI?
    If so, is there an appreciable difference in recorded image quality over and above recording to P2?,
    i.e. is it worth it the effort?
    In theory, there should be since you are bypassing the internal codec but I would like to hear from someone who has or is actually doing this. Also interested in what external drive are you using, Samurai, Pix240, Blackmagic or what?
    Thanks,
    g
    Last edited by gco; 03-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Since the topic has kind of meandered here and there, and there haven't been too many posts recently, I thought I'd ask (and so newcomers can find their answer quicker)

What options exist in 2012 to record directly from an HVX-200 to an external source, either HDD, or laptop (if you have answers for both, great!)

Thanks all!
    Aza

--I actually have a shoot coming up in July where I'm trying to find the cheapest way to record on 3 cameras at 8 hours straight of footage for each!
    My work can be seen at www.ruesterprod.com I am always looking to collaborate, or find more work - so anyone in the L.A. area who needs another hand - look me up!

4. Collapse Details
    Oops.. re "I prefer the 250gig. I have about 6 of them, and dont think you need any bigger."

My experience has been different - I have 3 external drives x 3 TB each which I bought for about $175 each, all full, and no more usb ports on my computer (I think hardware for PCs is less that for Macs)

I do archives for around 3 x 2-hour stage/music events per month, make training videos on an ongoing basis, and take on any corporate interviews/documentary work I can get.

I suppose I could have gone for something like
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Drobo_5D.html at $1,700 (much faster).

The specs say you can add any 3.5 drive so I am wondering if this means the enclosure comes with trays (i.e. remove the drives from their current mounts and put one in each tray?)

Surely in a year from now we will see 10Tb drives at lower prices and next we are likely to see SSDs at affordable prices? So, I have been holding out.

Suggestions?

While on the topic of storage, does it make sense to archive to blu-ray discs (25GB)?

I find the blu-ray blanks expensive and have yet to find a source that packages these in quantities of 100. I get blank 4.7 Gb ordinary DVDs for around 22 cents each which is sort of OK. but you need several of these to hold one project.

Last edited by kwkeirstead; 07-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    I originally bought a Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter to dump CF cards through.

But I then found a need to get some external storage. Now, since Thunderbolt is here, I'm not going to go out and waste money on USB 2 and FW800 drives, so I was a bit at a loss until Caldigit comes out with their Thunderbolt raids.

So what to do... well, at first I wanted a real enclosure. But then I thought... why bother? They are all so damn expensive and I never use any of the software that comes with them.
    What I chose to do is buying cheap WD Green 2.5" internal drives. 2TB costs so little... and then you can just shelf them when not needed.

6. Collapse Details
    Has anyone had any bad or good luck with this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._External.html

I don't need a huge hard drive right now, but it seems like it would be capable of editing. I need a fast hard drive, the one I have now is so old I can barely edit off it. I can't spend a lot, so buying a 400-600 dollar external hard drive is not what I need right now.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, I have a WD MyBook 3Tb. It works fine. I have two other externals (Seagate, Verbatim), same size, can't say I have ever noticed any performance difference between the three. The B&H price is about right.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910