Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The HVX200 and the HVR-V1U
    After reading many threads and after much talk, I am going to ask the inevitable question. Which seems to be the better camera, the Panasonic HVX200 or the new Sony HVR-V1U, or maybe it is simply to early to tell. I have heard people going back and forth about this issue. I am here to see which camera is better without hearing any bias opinions. And now the whole "It appeals to different consumer" issue is gone because both cameras are dedicated to enhancing their film-like picture by utilizing 24p. Now the HVR-V1U is said to have more pixels but after a lot of reading I have learned that this is not all the case when comparing both cameras and their picture qualities because there are many more aspects that go into it when comparing image quality. Which is better?

2. Collapse Details
    Look at as much footage from both cams and then decide wich one brings the images you like the most.

Other than that its basicly the DVCPROHD VS HDV discussion. Cheap storage media vs variable frame rates etc.

Myself thinks the HVX produces the nicest quality not maybe the higest res image but its 720P mode gives more filmlikes image than a 1080P mode on the V1. Buts thats only my opinion. You should decide for yourself.

But the motorcross slowmo footage from the HVX sold me on this cam.

3. Collapse Details
    CMOS vs. CCD or 1/4" vs. 1/3"
    Remember also, that the V1U boasts CMOS chips. A big plus in my mind! Oops, but those chips are only 1/4" a major drawback for me. I want SHALLOW depth of field, not greater depth of field.
    Clark Cooper
    Abbey HD Rentals

4. Collapse Details
    I am leaning toward the V1U for the following reasons: portability (it's smaller & lighter than competitors), cheap storage (tape), HDMI-out, and the optional factory-designed hard drive storage.

For me the decision is between the V1U and the Canon A1. My only hesitation about the V1 from its specs is the 1/4-inch chips. But the upsides of the V1 may outweigh the drawbacks.

5. Collapse Details
    It's way too early to tell. The V1U isn't even on the market yet, is it?

Even so, consider that the V1U only does 1080/24, 1080/30, and 1080/60i with compressed audio and the HDV format. The HVX does many more things with more channels of audio and more formats and more frame rates, all to a tapeless media. So they're different, and I believe they'll likely appeal to different customers.

6. Collapse Details
    Went to the launch in Singapore and looked at it (V1U) and although I did not get much time with it I can tell you that this camera is really not going to cut it for the more serious indie film guys because of the 1/4 inch chip.
    Even the guy Sony brought in to demo the footage etc was like...." umm I really dunno why they didn't slap a bigger chip in?!!!....... but anyway it is their newest camera so you should buy it!!"
    I was not impressed with the fact that all the special features like variable frame rates are in lower resolution.
    Basically Sony have moved the CMOS chip 45 degrees to get extra pixels in-between each diagonal intersection which enhance quality. The hard drive is very costly and mounts clumsily on top like an afterthought rather than being thought out and intergrated for better balance.
    HDV seems to be an interim product when you see all the better codecs coming out with better bit-rates so I just gotta wonder if it is worth forking out for this baby when you can hold out and see what we land in 2007 NAB.
    Not trying to slur what is effectively nifty technology, but really - once again Sony who could wipe the floor with the tech they have - would rather just smudge a camera idea off the drawing board and give us what amounts to a "pacifier" for all the milking sony infants that cannot ween themselves off "So(n)y Milk"
    "BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDrick !!!!"

7. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Canon is gonna win BIGTIME.

Panasonic needs an AVCHD 1080P Camera BAD.

I would Greedily take a nice High dynamic range, light sensitive, Latest greatest technology 1CHIP 1/2" or 2/3" Fixed lens camera. 108024p 72024p 1080i. Thats allllllllllllll i need.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

8. Collapse Details
    I think that the 1/3" sensors with the 960x540 photosites would have much more sensetivity than 1/4" sensors at 960x1080. If you think the low light performance on the HVX200 is bad, wait until you see the V1U footage in low light.

Also, for the HVX200's variable framerates, it's not native. For example, 24p is 60p with 36 frames chopped out. If you want variable frame rates on the V1U, shoot 24p 30p or even 60i (then deinterlace of course) then chop out how many frames you want to in post.
    Last edited by AuditoryVisuals; 12-03-2006 at 07:20 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AuditoryVisuals

Also, for the HVX200's variable framerates, it's not native. For example, 24p is 60p with 36 frames chopped out. If you want variable frame rates on the V1U, shoot 24p 30p or even 60i (then deinterlace of course) then chop out how many frames you want to in post.

no its real 24p. the 24 frames however are RECORDED in the 60p steam. so its recorded that way. but its actually at a perfect 24 htz clokc rate.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I'm nost sure what AuditoryVisuals is getting at. Record 720/24pN, only 24 frames get recorded, there are no frames to "chop out" or whatever.

The Sony doesn't record as 24fps, it records as 60i with the 24fps signal embedded in the 60i transport stream (same as HVX in "1080/24p" mode). But it doesn't have the option to do 24pA, so extracting pulldown will require the NLE editors to update themselves.

As for low light etc., Adam Wilt's initial test finds the V1 about two stops slower than the HVX (meaning needing 4x as much light to achieve comparable brightness). Don't know about noise performance yet though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast