View Poll Results: Should Red Digital Cinema open up to global distribution and resellers ASAP or not?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worldwide domintation!

23 47.92%
  • Keep it down.

19 39.58%
  • Who cares?!

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Red Distribution
    Hi All,

Is anyone aware of how Red Digital Cinema plans to distribute, sell, support and/or resell the Red Camera and extra's overseas?

There are many foreign film industries where the Red Camera would clearly take off, for budget reasons and just because it a hot camera, obviously. Surely business deals to take this movement global would not go amiss.

Also there is the issue of supply and demand.

Peace and Light.
    Optica
    Last edited by optica; 11-29-2006 at 08:23 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by optica
    Hi All,

Is anyone aware of how Red Digital Cinema plans to distribute, sell, support and/or resell the Red Camera and extra's overseas?

There are many foreign film industries where the Red Camera would clearly take off, for budget reasons and just because it a hot camera, obviously. Surely business deals to take this movement global would not go amiss.

Also there is the issue of supply and demand.

Peace and Light.
    Optica
    Hi,

Bear in mind that not having dealers or a big distribution network keeps costs far lower. That benefit it passed on in Red's pricing.

Stephen

3. Collapse Details
    Hi,

Bear in mind that not having dealers or a big distribution network keeps costs far lower. That benefit it passed on in Red's pricing.

Stephen
    I am not that bothered about dealers or distribution.

I am bothered big time, if i have to send my camera to USA if it goes faulty or needs an update etc.

Michael

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mike the beginner
    I am bothered big time, if i have to send my camera to USA if it goes faulty or needs an update etc.

Michael
    Spot on, agreed!
    RED ONE & RED ZOOM reservation holder

5. Collapse Details
    Yes Mike. I'm with you too. I'm not a fan of closed, sewn-up, local distribution deals, but one does pay the price when it comes to support. There probably isn't an easy answer, particularly at this stage in Reds development. I suppose there will be lots of fingers being crossed when purchase days comes amongst all of us overseas reservation holders.

Martin

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mike the beginner
    Michael
    Hi Mike,

Having used US made motion control systems & Cameras whilst living in the UK & Europe, over the last 20+ years I can tell you that is something you will have to get used to!

I have also jumped on a plane from Heathrow - LAX Sunday afternoon, Leaving LAX Monday Afternoon with fixed equipment!

Stephen

7. Collapse Details
    I would really like RED to eventually open up to global distribution, but always follow a "everyone knows the price" model similar to the way Apple does things.

One thing I really hate about high end gear is that you really feel like you are getting constantly screwed on price, or that someone is getting a better deal. "Who are you? what do you need it for? how much can you afford? Okay, here is the price (here is what I think I can screw you for). With Apple, and now Red, it is "here is the price and where did you want it shipped?"

It makes a huge difference in the consumer's mind and the advertised, reasonable, "price" of RED instead of an inflated MSRP, I think had a lot to do with the explosive acceptance and enthusiasm for the camera.

If they open it up, you choose your distributor based on relationship, location, support--not based on price as it is always the same.

If they keep it direct sales only--I'm okay with that too because I am just an hour or so north of the factory!
    Thom Steinhoff
    Red One #516, Red Zoom #171

8. Collapse Details
    You could consider buying from a reseller. But since everybody is buying wholesale, there'll be a markup from Red's price.

Not to mention our friend the rental house for mission critical applications.... or buy an extra.
    - Gavin Greenwalt
    im.thatoneguy[remove]@gmail.com

9. Collapse Details
    Hi Mike,
    Having used US made motion control systems & Cameras whilst living in the UK & Europe, over the last 20+ years I can tell you that is something you will have to get used to!

I have also jumped on a plane from Heathrow - LAX Sunday afternoon, Leaving LAX Monday Afternoon with fixed equipment!

Stephen
    I get your point Stephen but.....You are at one end of the scale and i am at the farthest away end. I would like to see a UK based TRUSTED dealer who will only charge you for what is needed and the proper time spent servicing/repairing your camera at a fair price.

One point worth noting is that those who are from overseas and decide to fly over to collect their camera might like to think this through...carefully.

If at any time you do need to send your camera back to red you better have all your receipts, your import duty paid and your receipt for VAT all photo copied. If anyone decides to er......forget to pay their import duty and VAT on entering your country back home you might well get a shock when you get asked to show such proof when you send red one off for repair

There are few free lunches these days i suppose.

Michael

10. Collapse Details
    I would prefer RED to keep total control of their product and become a model for every other tech company with regard to service to their customer base. Given the way they have started, I would be disappointed by anything less.
    Aloha
    -A
    RED # 086 #1031, ZOOM#38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast