Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by evinsky
    I'm guessing here.

Camera body only.
    2.35mm $135K (for an Arricam ST since you can't buy a Panavision)
    Hi,

A Konvas for $700, a Mitchell from $2000. Arri II from $1500, Arri III from $8000 Arri BL from $8000.Film cameras are just a box that houses and moves the film.

Stephen

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams
    Hi,

A Konvas for $700, a Mitchell from $2000. Arri II from $1500, Arri III from $8000 Arri BL from $8000.Film cameras are just a box that houses and moves the film.

Stephen
    i have to agree completly with stephen here.
    i am certainly not biased anti-digital. however, i was always -highy sceptical- of using HDV, DV instead of 35mm. we have 2 * ARRI II here an they shoot excellent images. we donīt use them often, as the stock is what makes 35mm costy, and we have cinealta in house. 35mm was used here mainly when we needed shallow DOF and couldnīt shoot it wide open from distance with the 2/3 cinealta.

if you use a old 35mm camera however, be aware that they are really noisy. so blimping (or even camera booting) them is a must for sound.

if someone is interested, we will probably sell one or two Arri 35 IIB (with mags etc) when red ships for >~1500$.

3. Collapse Details
    homersapien yes
    116 & 263.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersapien
    I actually think the whole thing is very sad. Jim and the rest of the people who are working on Red have been very supportive of other cameras yet there is still an obvious distain for the project and perhaps most sadly of all many of these people are professionals within this industry. Jeff Kreines was not treated with the same distain when creating the Kinetta so I just don't get it - even though his camera appears to have been shelved at least for the foreseeable future.

The only thing I can understand they dislike is the manner in which the camera has been marketed and the typical user that will be adopting it. Many of the people here at DVXUser are referred to as "Cheerleaders" (That one straight out of Jeff Kreines own head) and I don't believe we are seen to represent any significant part of the movie making chain.
    I would make a guess here and say that Jeff Kreines is a little bitter because he probably already spent a bunch of his own money on creating the Kinetta camera. Now he is realizing that he can't compete with Red since he was going to sell the Kinetta for $65k (almost 4 times as much), and all the money he spent on R&D is wasted.
    RED ONE #561
    RED Zoom #121
    http://www.solarsystemstudio.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jahlion
    I would make a guess here and say that Jeff Kreines is a little bitter because he probably already spent a bunch of his own money on creating the Kinetta camera. Now he is realizing that he can't compete with Red since he was going to sell the Kinetta for $65k (almost 4 times as much), and all the money he spent on R&D is wasted.
    I - for one - feel very gratefull towards mr Kreines and SI. Red is not so much a revolution as a natural evolution of digital cameras where Panasonic, Dalsa, Sony, Apple, Cineform, Canon, Kinetta & SI (to mention some) have put down the main concepts for Red to build on. (This is said with no disrespect to the tremendous work done by the Red team).

The basics concepts - even in form factor to some extent - from the Kinetta can be recognized in the Red.

Think: RAW images and an IT based recording/post solution. Giving a relatively cheap workflow from set to finished post.

None of these concepts are Red "firsts", but it seems SI & Red are the ones that have come the longest in figuring out a solution for the total equation.

One of the problems is that you'll need a strong economical backbone to survive R&D, but even with the best product, you'll fall short without economical muscle and solutions for marketing.

My bet on Red is basically based on my assumption that mr Jannard is good at hiring people, knows a lot on how to market a product and create buzz, and the fact that he - or someone around him - are capable of budgetting. He has a record of making money, and that is actually pretty comforting, because that implys to me that Red can become a stayer in the game.

BUT I see no reason to spite Kreines for the effort and to warming up people to new concepts. I saw a quote from David Stump (I think) on the CML list (From my head):

It's easy to spot the settlers, it's the ones with arrows in their backs.

No wonder people get a bit grumpy.

Gunleik
    htttp://quine.no

Download Qi for free here: http://www.quine.no/qi-download/

6. Collapse Details
    HKSC, you need to start posting a few more thoughts at a time. Your hogging the thread.
    Always beg forgiveness, not permission! http://www.evingrant.com http://www.evingrantdp.com http://www.evingrantphoto.com
    RED #199
    HVX #69

7. Collapse Details
    Removed as off topic
    Last edited by Homersapien; 11-15-2006 at 10:43 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, it's getting hard to read. Thanks HKSC.

9. Collapse Details
    Removed as off topic
    Last edited by Homersapien; 11-15-2006 at 10:42 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    anytime you have a profession that uses expensive tools ( which become elite) and only few can get their hands on it to use/learn, that when a new product that is good becomes available at a price that persons in/out of that profession can buy -those in that profession do not take kindly.
    one goes to work - uses a 150k camera or down the road a RED - they worked their way up the ladder over many years as AC/operator/DP - drives home and see the kid next door in his/her garage with a new RED ...

until RED ships the nay-sayers will continue to feed the market that RED isn't going to happen ... until RED ships we'll have to hear their talk and we all know we ain't going to be walking their walk !! IMO their ( naysayers) days are numbered ..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast