1. Collapse Details
    H.264 not in v4.1
    Is it me, or is the h.264 compression missing? I have seen h.261 and h.263, but I can no longer find h.264.

Thanks,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

2. Collapse Details
    Cant check this right now,

but this should work through the ProCoder output...check canopus.com forum please, i am short in time right now, but remember that someone wrote about this over there.....!

3. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    If you are talking about H.264 in QuickTime (that's what most people are using), then you must have QuickTime 7 Pro. The free version does not support encoding to H.264. Edius V4.1 still supports H.264 if QT 7 Pro is installed, I use it every day.

Not only does it still support it, but it improves on Edius V4.0x by allowing you to use multi-pass H.264 encoding, which previously had to be done from within QuickTime Player.

When you use multi-pass encoding, the progress display in Edius is based on 100 assumed passes, so the completion estimates are always way off. Unfortunately there is no way for Edius to tell beforehand how many passes QuickTime will make. In most cases it's about eight for the videos I've encoded, and the processing gets faster for each pass.

4. Collapse Details
    Hmm. I was able to do a h.264 compression/output in EDIUS 4.02 before. I don't even see it in 4.1. So, I guess I need to get Quicktime Pro then, huh?

Thanks,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

5. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Yeah, without paying for the Pro version, there's no H.264 love -- QuickTime 7 non-Pro has never been able to encode to H.264. With the free version, H.264 doesn't show up as an option, regardless of whether you use Edius or something else. However, the free version can decode H.264.

Open up the QuickTime player, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Register, and see whether the QuickTime Pro Registration section is filled in.

6. Collapse Details
    I got quicktime pro now. I am still not seeing h.264 in EDIUS anymore as an output option. Am I blind?

Just to be clear. I am saying that when I was on 4.02 I was able to output an h.264 .mov in edius using the wizard. Now, with v4.1 I no longer see h.264 as an option. I now installed qt pro, but still don't see it.

Tell me I'm retarded and what I am doing wrong, and I will feel better

Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

7. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    Alright, here is how I do it:

1. Press F11 or use File -> Print -> Print To File and then choose Procoder Express:

2. Select a previously used setting from the list, or choose "Generic Target":

3. Select "Quicktime Export File":

4. Choose an output file name:

5. Select "QuickTime Movie" as the Exporter, and then click on the button with the elipses to configure the details:

6. When QuickTime's configuration dialog comes up, click on Settings for the Video group:

7. If you have QuickTime 7 Pro installed, you should now have the option of selecting the H.264 format:

Please note that Multi-pass was not available prior to the release of Edius V4.10. Also make sure that you don't use uncompressed audio (the default) or your files wind up being unnecessarily large.

If you experience a crash when opening the QuickTime video settings dialog, open up QuickTime Player, go to Edit -> Preferences -> QuickTime Preferences -> Advanced and select the "Safe Mode (GDI only)" option.
    Last edited by THoff; 07-25-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added a note regarding QuickTime crashes in the video settings dialog

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks very much for that Thoff. I wasn't using the quicktime export. Just regular quicktime. I'd swear that's what I was doing before. Just choose regular quicktime, and then choose h.264. Ah well.

Some good info there. Thanks very much for that, Thoff.

Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    and...

9. Collapse Details
    After diong a fair bit of encoding with Edius Pro 4.61 and 6.06 , found the best result is encoding out at 3000kbits .