Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - make them now, I want, I want, I want

121 87.68%
  • No - don't make them I'm going to use Still Lenses or other Cine Lenses

17 12.32%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You could always invest in a typical workhorse Prime and then rent the other ones on a need for need basis. Obviously this means you are gonna have to plan alot in advance but this is something you can tie into your or your productions shooting script.

2. Collapse Details
    I'd much prefer to own a old set of Zeiss than have to comprimise with have one expensive new lens.

But hey thats just me :-)

I do think that the Cinema market is growing like mad and its just a matter of time before new makers of PL Mount Cine lenses hit the market or Cooke & Zeiss have a more affordable range.

3. Collapse Details
    The problem here is a big problem. For 35mm digital cinematography we have the option of the ultra expensive cooke and arri zeiss and... and.... and absolutely nothing else. And that is the problem.

The markets usually have 3 or 4 steps in quality. Think about car market. You have chevrolet and you have Aston martin. In cinema lenses, there is only one option: the best. Ferrari. And many people cannot afford that.

www.blackmilk.eu

Macgregor is a trademark of Miguel de Olaso

4. Collapse Details
    who needs 1.3 when we have a super 35mm sensor!?

5. Collapse Details
    RED has stated in the past that at some point they will post something ( still or clip ?) that used cooke, zeiss, nikon/canon ..
    i fully expect the nikor to come in last however i don't think it will be night/day difference and i think the nikor will stand right next to other images and you'll have to look very, very close to see differences other then one is warmer or cooler ...

for those that would like to see a little test ..
    this is Scott Billups test of canon XL H1 w/standard 20x zoom , Xl H1 with P&S adaptor w/cooke, sony F900 with canon zoom, & Viper is in a test vs H1 .. this was NOT a lens test .. the test was more for H1 recording out 4:2:2 vs the other camera's ... look at the photo's .. http://www.cinematography.net/hdcamt...ixelmonger.htm
    Last edited by donatello; 11-09-2006 at 09:23 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    I think it's high time someone here at DVX user started ripping the guts out of their Nikkor lenses and explaining to everyone how they can do a DIY conversion to cine lenses for us all to copy, can't be much more than a couple of pieces of sticky-back-plastic and old washing up liquid bottle after all

I'd certainly pay good money for the information and parts of how to do it. Don't get me wrong I jest for sure but still I'd be happy to take a $100 lense and at least attempt to convert it if I had the know how and the parts - The parts being the worrying point, it'd probably cost just as much to buy these as a 2nd hand cine lense!

7. Collapse Details
    I think that with a very nice glass lense, and a x0.5 factor ring focus puller you can get the same feeling as with a cine lense.

www.blackmilk.eu

Macgregor is a trademark of Miguel de Olaso

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersapien
    I think it's high time someone here at DVX user started ripping the guts out of their Nikkor lenses and explaining to everyone how they can do a DIY conversion to cine lenses for us all to copy, can't be much more than a couple of pieces of sticky-back-plastic and old washing up liquid bottle after all

!
    Hi,

This sort of thing was done by Fries Engineering in the 1980's for Mitchell cameras for use on Motion Control rig. Its their AF35R conversion, I actually used one yesterday!

What they did is cut the front of the camera off, put the lens mount on rails and focus by moving the lens. You only need 1 set of mechanics for all your Nikon lenses. Probably will make the camera a bit heavy to hand hold!

Stephen

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by obin
    who needs 1.3 when we have a super 35mm sensor!?
    People shooting indoors.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Homersapien

I'd certainly pay good money for the information and parts of how to do it. Don't get me wrong I jest for sure but still I'd be happy to take a $100 lense and at least attempt to convert it if I had the know how and the parts - The parts being the worrying point, it'd probably cost just as much to buy these as a 2nd hand cine lense!
    I was going to look into converting SLR lenses, especially Canon Auto lenses since I already have a bunch of them and they won't be supported by Red. The only problem is that I'm short a machine shop, and I can't tear a lens apart and add cinema features without machining a whole new housing for it to go into. The milling machines cost money (and space), the metal costs money, the work takes time (thus money), and the research costs in both time and money. If you add it all up I'd be suprised if it wouldn't add $2000 on top of the original lens price. But still... it'll be cheaper to go that route then to buy a cinelens. So away I go to continue researching my options.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast