• Yes - make them now, I want, I want, I want

121 87.68%
  • No - don't make them I'm going to use Still Lenses or other Cine Lenses

17 12.32%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hey. Tonacidigital... Snap!

2. Collapse Details
    I'm referring to the lens not the camera so don't put words where their not found. comparisons were made in regards to cookes and ziess' in other threads as well. A DINOSAUR is a company that is huge and is not progressing or innovating -- that is definitely not Cooke or Ziess.

Companies that focus on one product like a tripod or lense or sensors etc. are MOST LIKELY to make superior products than a company that makes 10 brand extensions, if investment and R&D are in place.

Best tripods are made by companies that specialize in them, best lenses the same, best cars the same, best audio-phile products the same etc. the more resources a company has to focuus on a product rather than a multitude of products the better, statistically and historically, that product will be. You know this come on now.

I support the Red camera but just wanted to throw my opinion since not many like to go against the grain even if they have concerns or doubts.
    Last edited by nycfilmmaker; 11-08-2006 at 03:51 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfilmmaker
    comparisons were made in regards to cookes and ziess' in other threads as well.
    As well a where? I can't see any here. I can't recall seeing any in other threads. If you could supply a link it might be helpful.

Best tripods are made by companies that specialize in them, best lenses the same, best cars the same, best audio-phile products the same etc. the more resources a company has to focuus on a product rather than a multitude of products the better, statistically and historically, that product will be. You know this come on now.
    I understand your argument, this is often the case, but there are equally many example of successful companies with more than one product line, so it isn't a forgone conclusion. But I come back to having a problem with with understanding exactly which posts you have an issue with.

I support the Red camera but just wanted to throw my opinion since not many like to go against the grain even if they have concerns or doubts.
    I see many doubts expressed in many threads, I really cannot see why you have an axe to grind.

I do think you have a writing style which comes across a bit aggressively, this may well not be your intention but it comes across like that. If you feel slightly alienated it may be because people just feel you are trying to attack them.

Martin

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zakaree
    unless ur working back to back on project to project as a dp or camera operator.. why spend that much money on a set of lenses? renting sounds alot more reasonable to me.. at least when it comes to a production that requires so many lenses.. im not saying dont have any lenses at all... but zeiss... cooke.. arri? used maybe (as long as they dont have any fungus or scratches) but seriously.. NIKON makes some nice glass for not so much money.

its not the same class of lens. the reason they are expensive is that aside from being the same stable Tstop, they are color matched, and respond within very similar tolerances to each other. plus tehy are often made with gears built in, two sets of distance markers, so the AC can see them from bothsides. These are things that Nikon wont put into an SLR lens.
    Director of Photography
    www.timurcivan.com www.tstopcinema.com 917-589-4424
    Visit my blog: T.stops : <- click here
    "He who thinks interms of catching mice, will never catch Lions."

5. Collapse Details
    I'm not looking to buy the best lenses in the world. Cooke's reputations is just way too expensive for my level of work.

Their are very few options when it comes to PL Mount Cinema Lenses. I'm so tied of using Still Photographic lenses and am anxious to have lenses to work with when the camera arrives.

If RED Primes are said to be 90% the quality of Cooke or Zeiss, that will do me for now. Having a lenses that is meant for Cinema is the important thing for me.

There are 3 options on the camera:
    1) PL Mount
    2) B4
    3) Still Lenses - Nikon & Canon

When the camera ships we know for sure that it will have a PL Mount on the camera. I want to be ready to shoot.

Affordable Cinema lenses are needed it times of the revolution!

6. Collapse Details
    cooke and zeiss have been around for decades. they specialze in optics not making cameras not making radios -- just optics. Millions of dollars and years upon years of engineering have gone into those optics. how could anyone say that red lenses will be better or even comparable than ziess or cookes? that's insanity. love the Red camera though.
    One word. Yamaha. They make everything.... and they make every thing well.
    Director of Photography

7. Collapse Details
    all is good. don't feel alienated never have. Yeah, my writing style is pretty direct, no agressive intention made, just honest opinions eh.

8. Collapse Details
    comparisons were made in regards to cookes and ziess' in other threads as well.
    No one on these boards have ever implied that RED will be better than Cooke as you have stated here:
    how could anyone say that red lenses will be better or even comparable than ziess or cookes? that's insanity.

A DINOSAUR is a company that is huge and is not progressing or innovating -- that is definitely not Cooke or Ziess.
    To clarify..my reference to dinosaur was meant to imply how long they have been around. Sorry for not being clear.

Companies that focus on one product like a tripod or lense or sensors etc. are MOST LIKELY to make superior products than a company that makes 10 brand extensions, if investment and R&D are in place.
    As this same line of reasoning applies to RED lenses...your thesis is "since Zeiss and Cooke only focus on optics, there is no way RED could ever make any lenses comparable to Zeiss or Cooke. "

Time will tell if your thesis is correct.

My initial response to your post was meant to point out the fact that many believed, or still believe, that the RED project is impossible.

It is interesting that your post solidifies the same skepticism towards RED's future line of lenses.

tonacidigital. red hype machine.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Hinds
    I'm not looking to buy the best lenses in the world. Cooke's reputations is just way too expensive for my level of work.

Their are very few options when it comes to PL Mount Cinema Lenses. I'm so tied of using Still Photographic lenses and am anxious to have lenses to work with when the camera arrives.

If RED Primes are said to be 90% the quality of Cooke or Zeiss, that will do me for now. Having a lenses that is meant for Cinema is the important thing for me.

There are 3 options on the camera:
    1) PL Mount
    2) B4
    3) Still Lenses - Nikon & Canon

When the camera ships we know for sure that it will have a PL Mount on the camera. I want to be ready to shoot.

Affordable Cinema lenses are needed it times of the revolution!
    yea but this is what i dont understand man,

Why are you buying a RED, if you cant neccesarily afford its peripheral equiptment. Whats the use of ahving a 4K camera if youre not gonna buy glass that will support it? i mean the camera costs 17k, but htats probably only about 1/3 of the neccesary costs to make it run efficiently. lenses, Editing, stroage, Software that will operate on 4k...

i mean C;mon, dont scrimp on the LENSES!!!!!!!!
    Director of Photography

10. Collapse Details
    When did I say I was scrimping on the lenses?

I want PL Mount Cine Lenses, I just don't want to pay for overpriced Cookes and Zeiss or buy inflated used lenses which devalue as soon as RED bring out their set.

I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.

Spending a $100k on a set of Cooke or Zeiss isn't an option for me.

What lense options are you going to go with?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast