1. Collapse Details
    What Color GREEN is Green Screen?
    Hello!

I want to start shooting some green screen stuff. A heard that if you know the exact color green that it is, you can inexpensively buy a roll of that color green fabric from a fabric store, which is much less than going to a studio that has it, or buying greenscreen stuff.

What do you guys think? Is it possible? If so, how do you know what green to buy - is it a Pantone color?

Best,
    Dan Jablons
    Thanks,

Dan Jablons
    www.rstcimprov.com

2. Collapse Details
    it's pure green, so in 8 bit RGB it would be 0:255:0. In theory pure green or pure blue doesn't exist in nature, thus if shot properly, every natural colors can be keyed out (that's the theory). In practice, any hi saturated green or blue should do the trick, lighting the screen properly and evenly is what's really important and where most people make mistakes.

3. Collapse Details
    I've never heard a PMS color spec'd for greenscreen. But, since you're in L.A., why don't you stop into Studio Depot on La Brea? You can look at their stuff and get an idea what hue you need to find. I bought a 10' x 12' Westcott greenscreen fabric backdrop there for about $150. They have greenscreen spray paint, paint in cans, etc. You could buy something there, then take it to a fabric store and try to match it. But just so you know, just about any "bright" green or blue will work.

4. Collapse Details
    Try running a Search, This has been discussed before.

Quoting myself for example...

Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson
    You want a more deep green, and a not so much neon green.
    The neon will glare and cause spill. You need a deep saturated green.

Here's the EXACT color that you are looking for:

That's from here: http://www.rosco.com/uk/scenic/chroma_key.asp

I'll add that as "RGB" isn't an absolout color system, you can't use it to define a color acuratly. Not to mention use it to spec any sort of pigment. In fact that Image linked above is only a pointer too - it will vary on every monitor and differ again when printed.

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

5. Collapse Details
    Also if you've ever been to a fabric store you'll find that getting a 10' fabric is easier said than done + it many fabrics wrinkle easily. Just save up 300 bucks and buy a nice green screen with foam backing. It won't wrinkle and you don't need to waste your time looking for a "cheaper" way.

Remember, you get what you pay for!