Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Charli
    Geez, Theo I have no idea what you just said.
    I guess this is why I didn't win the screenwriter's catagory!!!

Perhaps I put too much in that post. I just heard mention of "people changing their scores to get the desired outcome." I wanted to admit that I was one that said that I would but I ended up not doing so.

That's all.

Plus some other junk about we're all winners, blah, blah, blah!

2. Collapse Details
    Well, a think a good deal of this thread has been taken out of context to make people (mainly me) seem ingrateful and spiteful of the fest. Don't let this be a reason to not submit the spreadsheet to the public. I wasn't trying to bitch and moan when I posted what I posted, and this certainly wasn't a thread about "why didn't I win" or "I deserved this." I was just trying to be honest with my initial post about some issues.

3. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I don't think you come off that way.

I think the thread has been used as a soapbox by some that do come off that way.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

4. Collapse Details
    I have my opinions, and I am fairly certain that others have their opinions too, but unless any of us is willing to step up and run our own contest (I know for certain that I am not even remotely interested in that) we really can't complain on how this one was run. We are able to offer our suggestions and observations via this and other threads; remember, we can choose to participate or not based upon our own experiences in this and previous contests.

Thanks again for everyone involved in putting this thing together, I am certain that it was one hell of a lot of work!
    Last edited by khmuse; 10-18-2006 at 01:16 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    I think MOST people here are not complaining about the the spreadsheet final scores... just the actual spreadsheet itself.

And complaining is the wrong word.

John G.

6. Collapse Details
    I was going to say the same thing there, Rubix. I don't think you came off that way. I am just disappointed that you may be right. Perhaps some people did look at the films at the bottom of their list and give the same low number across the board (just to simplify their life).

That would be too bad if they did and a dis-service to you. Those numbers SHOULD have some significance to you... how else are you going to decipher the information?

7. Collapse Details
    i ll use a slogan by some gum commercials here, 'sometimes it's better to chew than speak'

8. Collapse Details
    I was also going to say that we probably wouldn't all be yapping so much about the damned spreadsheet/voting/judging if it were strictly a festival with a title award. Because of the generous prizes, they in essence made HorrorFest a CONTEST more than a festival.

John G.

9. Collapse Details
    I just got back from lunch and saw this thread had grown considerably. I just finished reading through the pages and I have to say I am dumbfounded.

How ingrateful can you be. This is a FREE contest that offers FANTASTIC PRIZES. And, if that wasn't enough, you get the benefit of hearing what people of VARYING skill levels ACTUALLY THINKS about the work you created.

Unlike many contests/festivals, where you pay a fee and submit your film, then wait to see if it will be accepted. Then if it is accepted you wait while it is judged. If it wins you are told, "You win" and you get your prize. If you lose, you might be told, "You didn't win, sorry". And, that's the end of it. No feedback, no input as to what works, what didn't work.

If this fest continued but did away with the voting, spreadsheet, and prizes and all we got out of it was people commenting in our INDIVIDUAL THREADS about what they liked/dis-liked, that would be more than enough for me.

When I entered a film in the HeroFest, the best thing I received out of the whole experience was the EXPERIENCE of producing an actual film and seeing it through to the end. I learned how to deal with a myriad of problems and situations as they arose, trying to prevent me from completing the film. The second best thing I received was the FEEDBACK in the individual thread. What a blessing to hear what people thought and then get a chance to say, that makes sense, or to explain what I was thinking or what problems I was trying to overcome and then get feedback on how I might resolve that in future projects.

I think this thread should be closed and I am ashamed that it ever was created in the first place. Sure if you have an issue with how a particular thing is run, you should be able to say so. But this is a matter that should be taken up with Jarred and/or Barry S (the one's who run and administer the fest), not something run up the flagpole for everyone and their brother to bash and complain.

Thanks for listening.

Peace,
    Larry

10. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I do wanna stick up for Rubix briefly, Larry.

I don't feel like he was bitching ... just having some thoughts and conflicted feelings about how the category scores related to the overall scores, which is fine.

Just doesn't seem like the forum was mature enough to handle the discussion and it went other places.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast