1. Collapse Details
    GUTS by ??????????
    Here's another film without a thread, so I'll start it.

GUTS, well, what can you say.

This is one of those "well, we wanted to do something for HorrorFest so I got some friends and we went out to the woods and shot this thing for a couple of hours and made it up as we went along and had fun and didn't really take it very seriously and etc. etc."

OR

Was an amibtious effort for somebody... maybe a first film or ???

Some good ideas, but the story definitely had that "we made it up as we went along" feel to it. Don't know how long people can run around with their entrails hanging out unless they're a zombie.

I was hoping they would all just jump off the cliff at the end.

The score sounded like something out of 80's corporate video.

If you were the first production description above, well, is this really how you want to approach the art of filmmaking and subject the audience to it?

If you were the second, then I applaud your attempt. You definitely had some key elements in this take of the genre. I'd say next time, worry more about the story than the "cool" special effects.

Roger Corman would have liked it.

John G.

2. Collapse Details
    This was interesting. Definitely could have had a better story. It was essentially a silent film, but that's ok. Some parts didn't work for me: the foot, the girl smiling and pushing the bad guy off the cliff, the chase (one minute he's right next to her, the next, they're all over).

I liked the guy hitting the rescuer with the log and bits of wood flying everywhere. Best part of the movie.

Keep shooting shorts.

Take care.

3. Collapse Details
    I wasn't sure if there was to be some humour in this or not .
    As mentioned above I find it funny the girl has her foot chopped off and yet manages to run and at one point you can see her feet (..both of them ..). When see pushed the guy off the cliff ..where are her guts ?
    This story I think had a lot of potential .
    Ian

4. Collapse Details
    Just finally getting the time to copy the notes I compiled in a Word doc while watching the shorts:

WOW, I’d SWEAR that was Jerry Buxbaum as the psycho killer, and even though the names are similar in the credits, is this person related instead? Last name Steen sounds really familiar too. Anyway, moving on … because I thought this was Jerry, I really enjoyed watching it, and then had to rewatch it for more of the technical/story aspect. Story is fine, but the script itself doesn’t make sense to me … mostly the fact that her guts are SPILLING out with that first big knife cut, yet she’s able to run afterwards. Fine, I’ll buy that, but I don’t believe she could get herself to fully extend her arms at the end to push the guy over the cliff. In addition to that, it’s just moments after we see him CHOP HER FOOT off, that she’s running through the forest again? On what, her stump? Aside from being able to even stand, let alone run, I found it hard to believe she’d be able to brace herself enough to again get the leverage to push him off the cliff.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

5. Collapse Details
    Hahaha, I didn't even realize tha this was here! Thanks for posting it.

Norm, Jerry speaks very highly of you. Thanks for you comments. Steen is familiar because i'm Jerry's wife.

Anyway, I knew what the critiques would be before I even finished the short. With very little time to put anything together, we probably should have left this one out of the contest. However, we've never EVER submitted a short or film to any festival and thought this would be a great place to start. In the end, it became a test to see if we could actually get in under the deadline, more than a serious endeavor in filmmaking. Mission accomplished there.

I never expected to win anything and I totally thought we'd be the last short on the list (if we made it at all). No, this isn't exactly how I wanted to debut myself on DVXusers. It did however, end up helping me motive a talented group of people to get off their asses and take time out of their 'normal' lives and jobs to dip into a world they all dream about, but until now have been too scared to join. We all learned something from this goofy little short and I think that that is the most important thing about these contests.

Thanks again for the comments. Dramafest is on our horizons and I guarantee you will be seeing a marked improvement in story and overall content. This will be a true representation of what my team is made of! We're serious now, no more silly crap.

Thanks,
    Ladyhazle

6. Collapse Details
    Hey there,

Glad you could make it back on here! Jerry must have called you just after I got off the phone with him, lol. Good!

Also, FYI you didn't place last, so no worries there. I personally enjoyed this one simply for no other reason than seeing Jerry in it. It was campy, and I think had you tried to make it even a little campier with some gags/spoofs, it probably would have done even better, because people would have known more what the intention of the film was.

If you'd like to download the scoring/placement sheet, it's a few posts down in this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=74881

And you're right, getting it out there & made is an accomplishment. There were plenty of folks that started out wanting to make a short & then bailed in the 11th hour or soon for a variety of reasons, some quite valid. Regardless, finishing a film (let alone starting one) is not the easiest thing in the world, and you will CERTAINLY progress with each outing, as you'll take with you what you want to change/improve from the last, etc.

Looking forward to seeing more from you guys & your HVX!
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    It was campy, and I think had you tried to make it even a little campier with some gags/spoofs, it probably would have done even better, because people would have known more what the intention of the film was.
    That's what I get for not listening to my DP . She said that exact same thing, I guess I just wanted to get it done... oh well, lesson learned.

and yes, I did just get off the phone with Jerry. haha