Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Voting is a bi*&%^&
    Heres my problem with voting maybe someone can help...

best way to describe this is with an example

Bloody MAry and ID

I absolutely loved these movies however, I liked ID just a Little better, so heres the dilemma.... IN edit sound score screnplay acting (IMO) they where pretty close and
    think in cinematography bloody mary was better. I mean all around bloodmary was more polished, but again I like ID better not by much but I did like it better.. SO HOW THE HECK DO YOU VOTE... arrrgggghhhhh!
    Michael Petro
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not a serious filmmaker, I am however serious about making more fun movies.

2. Collapse Details
    Wow! Michael... I don't know what to say. But THANK YOU!

However I end up in this race, I will always remember this comment.

Thank you so much!

Ted

3. Collapse Details
    I totally agree. I'd rather there be one category that just says "rate this film" and I could give it anywhere from a 1 to a 10.

Some of the films were very polished with great acting and excellent camera work but the story was subpar or the ending was unacceptable or some such thing. And then there was stuff like The Awakening which was just silly fun, not technically skilled. Or "The Commitment", which certainly didn't have the best cinematography as compared to the others, but hands down it was the scariest and perhaps the most fun of 'em all.

If I had to watch 'em again, you'd better believe that I'd rather see those last two rather than some of the others, yet the way the ballot is structured it may turn out that the less-enjoyable ones will score higher.

I'd rather see one category where you give the film an "overall" rating, which is where creativity or story or the indefinable "it factor" can all come into play.

4. Collapse Details
    I was thinking there should be an "X-factor" category, like for horror, it should be "How Scary was it?" for comedy "How funny?" etc.

5. Collapse Details
    I found out that when I was putting my marks, as I explained in a thread and many many posts, I tried to be objective and work each category on its own without considering the film but just the technical aspect.. However I would end up seeing movie X having an overall figure higher than movie Y when movie Y I loved much more than movie X. That kinda puzzled me...but I decided to go with it as much as I could because since the ballot we're given has categories, than you have to judge according to these categories, and if the overall mark is what it is, then you have to stick by it. I mean...there are some movies that I really enjoyed watching and would watch again and again but technically (categories-wise) were not so good. It's just the way it goes. I mean I love watching Rocky IV or RamboII for the entertainment, but I couldnt give them high marks.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah, agree with this too!

I was going through the ballot and ran into this same problem.
    In the end it will seem that the TECHNICALLY BEST movie will win; which is cool, but not really. A SEPARATE category where OVERALL movie appeal is rated, and it counting maybe TRIPLE or even QUADRUPLE would be a possible solution to this dilemma.

As it is, I caught myself ADJUSTING the individual scores just so the END TOTAL score is somewhere where I'd consider it a good overall rating. So I now stopped rating them for now...
    --------------------------------------------
    Killer Sound (horror fest entry)

lingothree download

Notable misquotes:
    "I cant review this" VersuS
    "CRAP!!!" Rezfactor
    "Man not another one with no story. GEEZ." Kholi
    "WHAT???" TheatreGuy
    "like wtf?" Inexistence

7. Collapse Details
    I have to agree, (just in case this influence the future vote-casting method).

Having never done this before, I was expecting to see an over-all rating method... which would have been a lot easier for me to fill out.

But, I do see the merit in this system. It really makes you have to put a lot of thought into your casting, which I am anyway... but just a lot more than I expected to.

8. Collapse Details
    I am almost tempted to go straight across the board with the same number to indicate how much i liked the movie i dont know trying to figure it out...
    Michael Petro
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not a serious filmmaker, I am however serious about making more fun movies.

9. Collapse Details
    I might have to resort the Petroesque Voting system also, because as it is, I'm pretty well stuck.
    --------------------------------------------
    Killer Sound (horror fest entry)

lingothree download

Notable misquotes:
    "I cant review this" VersuS
    "CRAP!!!" Rezfactor
    "Man not another one with no story. GEEZ." Kholi
    "WHAT???" TheatreGuy
    "like wtf?" Inexistence

10. Collapse Details
    Well, Michael, not to influence your vote, what Marius explained above sounds very reasonable and something that I intend on adopting without comprising the integrity of the film (meaning, I don't want to "jip" someone out of a best editing award if they deserve it by lowering their score in that dept. just to get the films to line-up as I see them. Does that make sense? I do believe that I read that there was, in addition to the 1,2,3 spots, an award for best editing and something else.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast