Thread: rating yourself

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. Collapse Details
    #21
    Senior Member cinealma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,335
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by apollyon
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. For me it's a matter of integrity. And in regards to your above example...that's not the lesson I would want to teach my son.

    Look at it this way...how do you think your son would feel if he knew the only reason he won is because his father was on the panel judging? Do you think that would earn him the respect of his friends and peers?

    Please note Cinealma I am not attacking you personally, just offering up another way of looking at this. You are 100% entitled to your own opinion on the subject, and I do not presume I can sway you.
    No offense taken. I firmly believe in one's right to an opinion and do not feel attacked at all, my friend.

    My intention was to give an example of a "what-if" situation. Integrity in such matters would dictate that I decline the seat on the judging panel.

    My kids are the best. Pure and simple. That's the father in me talking. No matter what they do, they are still going to be #1 in my book. Now, I might get the occasional, "Dad, WTF are you talking about? I sucked!" And then the conversation might turn to how they can become better. But for me, they are still #1 overall. Why? Because they're my boys. I don't think it translates as bullsh*t. It lets them know that I support and love them. Maybe BIASED is the word we are all looking for?

    As filmmakers, we can be our own worst critics. On the flip side, to try and judge our own films, most of us would probably KILL our own films, because in our minds, the damn things are NEVER ever finished. But I save that kind of ca-ca for the editing room.

    But the real answer here is for Jarred to ignore any "own film" scores. That solves the problem.

    And I don't think integrity is an issue. Or else, most of us wouldn't be promoting/marketing our "great" films as such. It would be more like:

    Cure for Writer's Block: No. 9
    Not the best film, but I really hope you watch it anyway. Please.

    "Acting was subpar. An average film" - JoeUser
    "I could have done better with a disposable camera and a can of Pringles" - BobUser
    "How about a cure for whatever mentally degenerative disease that made you come up with this piece of artsy sh*t!" - BettyUser


    John G.



    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #22
    Tech Guru khmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    2,729
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealma
    But the real answer here is for Jarred to ignore any "own film" scores. That solves the problem.
    A simple and direct solution, I agree.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #23
    Senior Member Jaime V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    430
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealma

    Cure for Writer's Block: No. 9
    Not the best film, but I really hope you watch it anyway. Please.

    "Acting was subpar. An average film" - JoeUser
    "I could have done better with a disposable camera and a can of Pringles" - BobUser
    "How about a cure for whatever mentally degenerative disease that made you come up with this piece of artsy sh*t!" - BettyUser

    John G.
    This made me laugh . I can see your point.

    I was very hesitant to promote my own film...in fact I didn't other than just create a Thread, and I almost didn't do that either because of what you mentioned above. I almost went with "the Devil Inside: My first film, please don't hurt me. Please."

    It's funny, I think we approach this from opposite sides; you are very upbeat about your own work (and rightly so) and I am very downbeat about mine. I wonder what that says about me...

    You are correct, we are our own worst critics I think.

    Your simple solution is correct also of course. Thanks for the discussion.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #24
    Senior Member Inexistence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    dark clouds from the ground
    Posts
    387
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealma
    And I don't think integrity is an issue. Or else, most of us wouldn't be promoting/marketing our "great" films as such. It would be more like:

    Cure for Writer's Block: No. 9
    Not the best film, but I really hope you watch it anyway. Please.

    "Acting was subpar. An average film" - JoeUser
    "I could have done better with a disposable camera and a can of Pringles" - BobUser
    "How about a cure for whatever mentally degenerative disease that made you come up with this piece of artsy sh*t!" - BettyUser


    John G.


    This is how I thought the reviews would have gone because it would have been more
    toward real reviews that I would probably read in a paper somewhere. Sometimes
    I felt I was scaling back my criticism when I should have been turning up the heat
    instead. Overall I would still standby all my statements thus far.

    I would not vote for my own short because of bias but, I definitely see
    cinealma's point. Therefore I agree that we toss out the personal scores for
    each film.

    As far as judging myself in every category.... hmm let's see, if I had a gun to my
    head forcing me to score myself then I would. In all other instances you're
    sort of judging yourself throughout the process of creation anyways. The numbers,
    after the fact, are meaningless unless you want prizes. I think I can safely say
    that feedback carries the most weight around here.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #25
    Producer Mod Brandon Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    18,814
    Default
    Ok. We're going to ignore the scores of your own film... I am going to get a hold of Barry_S and Jarred to make sure we do not add in the score you give your own film.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

    New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #26
    Producer Mod Brandon Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    18,814
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by khmuse
    I would install a filter the rejects the entire ballot of any participant that rated their film a 10 across the board (and would be suspicious of a 10 in any category as that implies perfection in that area and perfection is by my standard nearly unachievable).
    Hm. I disagree with this. Every fest, one film gets all 10's from me. It's never been my own, but one film does.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

    New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #27
    Senior Member Darkline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Watford, UK
    Posts
    1,034
    Default
    Well Done Brandon. I think this is a great move!

    I honestly think we are not qualified to judge our shorts right now anyway. Maybe in a year, but not as soon as we've finished them.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #28
    Senior Member JoshuaNitschke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    581
    Default
    The highest score on my ballot is 9.3 I never rate 10s all across.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    179
    Default
    I have no shame, ALL 10's to my movie! Bwahahaha.

    (Plug: http://dvxuser.mikkowilson.com/horrorfest/dreamcom.mov )

    ;)
    DreamCom HorrorFest October 2006


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #30
    Senior Member Matt Sconce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oakhurst, California
    Posts
    4,133
    Default
    Good call Brandon!


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •