Thread: rating yourself

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I can agree with that, as my favorite movie is not the one that is rated the highest.

I see the value in the categories, as it can tell you where you need to improve, and I think that's what we're all trying to do here. But to me it seems the final rankings will be more a result of technical aptitude than anything else. I'm not saying this is good or bad. But a 'favorite' ranking would have been interesting as well I think to see how it played out. Is anyone else's favorite not the highest ranked one on their ballot?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jeans
    No, of course not, I just think it feels weird to judge yourself in any official sense, and I wondered how others felt.
    I can see how some people would be uncomfortable with that.

By the way, my post was an argument for why I was rating my own film; it was not literally directed at you, jeans, when I said 'you'. It was just my reasoning.

3. Collapse Details
    You can bet some people actually think theirs is the top shinny and even if they dont you can bet they're giving themselves 10's anyways ....

shame shame shame

But, their one vote wont swing the standings.

4. Collapse Details
    Hell, I don't even feel right rating the movies of others. I'm no critic. I'm barely a filmmaker.

5. Collapse Details
    you forgot some 10s

6. Collapse Details
    I did give some high marks for editing in one movie, but low
    marks on other areas. Where one part excelled, another part fell short.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Hudson
    You can bet some people actually think theirs is the top shinny and even if they dont you can bet they're giving themselves 10's anyways ....

shame shame shame

But, their one vote wont swing the standings.
    This is an interesting conversation. On the one hand, you want to seem fair so you critique yourself by the same standards as everybody else. A side note, honestly, peer voting is very emotionally and psychologically draining.

BUT, then again, this is your baby. My wife and I have five kids. If one of my boys is being judged on something and I can vote on it, why wouldn't I vote for him above everybody else? "Sorry, son, but little Bobby over there was just plain out better than you." Yeah, right.

Do you think politicians don't vote for themselves? "Well, I hope I win the election, but I think my candidate here is the better man, so I voted for him." Um, I don't think so.

What probably should be in the rules for this contest is that any scores you make on your own film will be thrown out (i.e. don't vote for your own film). I think that can still be arranged, if the powers that be want it.

Ok. This might rub some people the wrong way, but if the opportunity is there, I'm giving my film 10's across the board. Not because I think I have the best film out there, but simply because it is MY film. And I personally feel that all of my blood, sweat and tears should at least be rewarded with a perfect score from my own heart and hand.

John G.

8. Collapse Details
    now you made me feel like an ar## that I gave 5s and 6s to mine.... i want my ballot back!!!! looooooool

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealma
    BUT, then again, this is your baby. My wife and I have five kids. If one of my boys is being judged on something and I can vote on it, why wouldn't I vote for him above everybody else? "Sorry, son, but little Bobby over there was just plain out better than you." Yeah, right.

John G.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion. For me it's a matter of integrity. And in regards to your above example...that's not the lesson I would want to teach my son.

Look at it this way...how do you think your son would feel if he knew the only reason he won is because his father was on the panel judging? Do you think that would earn him the respect of his friends and peers?

Please note Cinealma I am not attacking you personally, just offering up another way of looking at this. You are 100% entitled to your own opinion on the subject, and I do not presume I can sway you.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by VersuS
    now you made me feel like an ar## that I gave 5s and 6s to mine.... i want my ballot back!!!! looooooool
    For me, a film which gets a 5 to 6 (average) is one of the better ones. I consider 5 as a mean in each category, and scale up or down based upon the merits of that aspect of the film. I am nearly finished voting now and I think that the highest ranked film will be in the mid 7's as an average. For me a 7 is a pretty good film by any stretch.

I would install a filter the rejects the entire ballot of any participant that rated their film a 10 across the board (and would be suspicious of a 10 in any category as that implies perfection in that area and perfection is by my standard nearly unachievable).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast