Thread: rating yourself

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    rating yourself
    This subject was touched upon in at least one other thread, but I thought I'd give it it's own place.
    How does one do this? It's pretty hard to be objective, whether your too hard on yourself, or too easy. I guess maybe some people will just give themselves all 10s. I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with routing for yourself if that is the case. In fact if everyone gave themselves a 10 it would be the same as if everyone gave themselves a 0, as far as relative averages. I guess I just want to know how other people feel about this. My inclination is to leave mine blank, but I wonder if that would mean it doesn't effect the average, or if it counts as all 0s. I guess probably the former.

2. Collapse Details
    So far I ve rated all of the movies but I will go back to it just to make sure I am ok with my ratings. In the current format of my ballot I have put marks for my movies. I tried to be objective but worked in comparison as well. However I dont think in my submitted ballot I will keep my scores, probably delete.

3. Collapse Details
    Not rating mine.

4. Collapse Details
    I would rate my own film honestly. Real numbers, attached to things I think I did well, and things I did that sucked.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

5. Collapse Details
    Yep. Real numbers, baby!

I don't believe that when it is all said and done, that inflating your own numbers will make much of a difference... unless it is a close-tie for 2nd or 3rd. And in that case, you probably are not inflating your numbers!

6. Collapse Details
    I rated my own movie objectively. I don't believe in giving yourself 10's across the board just because it's your own film. If you can't judge your own work, I don't think you're going to get very far. Will you only know that what you did is good or bad if someone else tells you it is?

I didn't need anyone to tell me that my sound sucked, my shots were bland, my music was blase and the fx amateurish. Personally the only things I liked about my movie were the story, and how I cut it together. And others may not even like that much, but since this is how I objectively see my piece, I rated it as such.

7. Collapse Details
    real numbers here all the way across. Sid you got a 10 in my book. You had
    the best score on the planet, okay, on these boards!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by apollyon
    Will you only know that what you did is good or bad if someone else tells you it is?
    No, of course not, I just think it feels weird to judge yourself in any official sense, and I wondered how others felt.

9. Collapse Details
    I have a bit of difficulty rating my own efforts as I tend to be even harsher than I am on others. I would be interested to learn the average of all the films critiqued by each participant. I am very harsh, not a 10 anywhere (as this implies perfection in that category for me) and I don't expect to ever see a 10 in any area from a short film. I will either go with my harsh approach for my own film or just not rate it at all.

I am really not liking this rating system for a number of reasons. The categories are unweighted and there isn't a separate rating for the film as a whole. A film can be good in each of the listed areas (judged by only the category of the column) but less when viewed as a finished project.

I would much prefer to have one rating for the film as a whole and then an optional rating of each category (having no bearing on the final scoring, rather just a bit of statistical gathering).

10. Collapse Details
    I have to agree with khmuse here. I was a bit taken back at the catagories needing individual numbers.

Having never done this before, I was looking forward to just ranking the films as a whole.

But I do see the merit in this system, I am just overwhelmed by it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast