Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheatreGuy
    Huh? Did I miss something?

I stumbled onto this thread and saw John_Hudson all over it. I thought that I would take the time to ask since he may be on it.

I really was looking forward to seeing it.
    Man I was just kidding !!! friends?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by desperatecomfort
    Dude, considering the only work I've ever shown here is a comedy about butt-sex, I'm patting myself on the back for not getting laughed off the board
    DUDE your the manhole-dude?... gee I need pay attention geesh hahahaha buttsecks...wait thats nasty
    Michael Petro
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not a serious filmmaker, I am however serious about making more fun movies.

3. Collapse Details
    Betrayed a wholly unoriginal film... but its got lesbians.. and thats always nice.

//wait did I just mock myself..
    Michael Petro
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am not a serious filmmaker, I am however serious about making more fun movies.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Hudson
    Any one that did not have the SERIAL KILLER/HOSTEL/SAW thing going on was creative.

That's like I guess 4 of them it seems
    John,

Are you suggesting that '4 of them' had the SERIAL KILLER/HOSTEL/SAW thing or that only '4 of them' did not?

I haven't seen HOSTEL or SAW.

5. Collapse Details
    I was exagerrating but suggesting maybe 4 did not

(and let us refrain from further mention of buttsecks; unless it involves Cindy Crawford)

6. Collapse Details
    The most creative I've seen? Hmmmm I would honestly have to go with rekindled or broken circle. Although although it's a real toss-up between them and Lakeside;)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by VersuS
    Man I was just kidding !!! friends?
    I figured you were kidding... just didn't get it!

John, sorry to hear that your film is on hold. Seriously.... I wanted to see that. Love the title. Keep us posted if it becomes available to view!

Lakeside original? hmmm... yeah.... four young kids, pulled over by a hillbilly "cop" (actor of the festival BTW!) then spend the first night of their vacation in a dream cabin while some beast kills the little dog and threatens to do the same to them!!!

Yep! Sounds original! (I hope you don't mind the sacrcasm... actually Lakeside is one of the best made movies here!)

Ted

8. Collapse Details
    Lakeside is my favorite film. It just felt like a movie.

9. Collapse Details
    The sun rises, the sun sets; story has evolved since mankind could communicate, and I tell you there is no story that is truly unique. All you can do is take things that speak to you and put them together in your own way. Who cares if the revenge story has been told? the killer campfire story (not not an actual killer campfire! that would be too original), the urban legend, the monster in the woods or under the bed, the ghost of the dead lover/child, the unexplained creature in your underwear?...... These things work, and have done for centuries for a reason....What matters is they have never been told in the way YOU will tell them. You will tell them in a fusion that no-one else has.. And that to me, is the creative part.

If you want to call my entry a a saw rip-off (for the opening kidnap), then you have to also call it an audition rip-off (for the squirming bag), a bit of japanese horror, the descent, elm-street (for the face in the wall), maybe even 70's horror for the recurring endings, maybe even 50's b-movies for a munching carpet monster!.... I'm guilty and Im going to hell....

Of course it doesnt help we're working in 'horror'. Horror is probably the most derivative genre of the lot. It relies on certain techniques to scare. It plays on our fears which are universal throughout time...People go to the cinema regardless just to see someone elses perspective on it.

Working on a budget as most of us here do, some of those like the woods or the hostel treatment are going to show up more than others. They are cheap to do and the avilability is local and immediate!

So all Im saying is that creativity is not in story alone.... its in editing, lighting, atmosphere, direction, sound, and the combination of all of these to form a cinematic experience.

This isnt a defense of me, its a defense of anybody that bothered to make an entry this year. Yes, some may be more genre derivative than others, but look at each one deep enough and you'll find something in it unique.

Hey at least no-one in here made 'Valentine' or 'Hide and Seek' eh?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynic821
    What is up with all these quotes? Its worse then the giant animated banners of the past. hard to read these threads.
    uh oh. not again. PM me if you want a trick to turn 'em off.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast