1. Collapse Details
    Generation II Macbook Pro???
    I wanted to get a new Macbook Pro, but I heard the initial ones were having a lot of problems with overheating and other things...

So I was advised by some friends to wait till the second generation ones came out...supposedly in October.

Does anyone have any information on this?? or has anyone heard similar things, or can anyone give me feedback if you are currently using a Macbook Pro.

Do they really break the product up in to generations..can you tell in the batch of serial numbers or what?? i don't know anything about how this works.

I tried calling a couple Apple stores, but there playing real dumb about the whole thing...like its some big political scandal...

Any info would help, I don't want buy a new machine that has problems.

Thanks
    Eye On It™
    vimeo.com/eyeonit

2. Collapse Details
    I don't think there is a specified date that the 2nd gen Macbook Pros will come out.

Macrumors.com says that
    Quote Originally Posted by Macrumors
    AppleInsider expects that Apple will update its complete laptop line (13" MacBook and 15/17" MacBook Pros) to Core 2 Duo "Merom" before the holiday shopping season starts in late November. According to the site, development has been completed and the launch is simply awaiting Apple's marketing team to "pull the trigger."

3. Collapse Details
    yeah, I myself am in the same position. I had the dough a over a month ago and am now sitting on my thumbs waiting for the new MBPs to come out. There's no question that new ones are on their way (updated hardware always comes every 6-8 months) it's just a question of when. I heard late August, then september, now october (or rather before november).

I'm sick of waiting, but it will be worth it. Beyond all the fixes with overheating, crashing, "mooing", etc, the new MBPs will be fully 64 bit which will mean leaps in speed over the previous generation (also means support for over 2gigs of ram).

so if you don't NEED it, I'd wait.
    "If it ain't helpin' your story, get rid of it" -Michael Bay lol I think he meant blow it up and shoot it from 8 different angles in slow motion.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks, that makes my decision a little tougher now
    I thought the Core 2's for laptops wouldn't be till next year and that they were just putting out a 'revised' (so to speak) Macbook Pro in October.

See, i just didn't know the definition of 'next generation'

Considering getting a new Macbook Pro this week when a whole new machine is coming out next month is even more frustrating...but i have to get one asap.
    What to do? Grin and bear it.
    Eye On It™
    vimeo.com/eyeonit

5. Collapse Details
    core 2 duo's are already out from several PC laptop manufacturers, so Apple's behind. I can't imagine them waiting until next YEAR to release them.
    "If it ain't helpin' your story, get rid of it" -Michael Bay lol I think he meant blow it up and shoot it from 8 different angles in slow motion.

6. Collapse Details
    Macbook Pro updates came out today.

7. Collapse Details
    but when does the Mac book pro with santa rosa platform come out (this will make it a true 64 bits machine) !!!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Mutsaers
    but when does the Mac book pro with santa rosa platform come out (this will make it a true 64 bits machine) !!!
    As usual it will be "Not Soon Enough" or "Too Soon" Depending on your perspective