Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Homemade Latex Release agent?
    Can you make a latex release agent? or is there something cheap you can get from a grocery store that will work as a release agent to get the latex out of the mold? Pockets are getting thin, and I'm trying to be low budget and have some idea's but want to run it but the, "guys" and "girls" first to see what you think if there is any way of doing this without going to the prop store and buying some. Thanks.

Brian Sinister

2. Collapse Details
    I heard of people using all sorts of things, from motor oil, to dish soap, to WD40, to vaseline - but I've always just used industrial release agents made for the application in the FX shops I worked in. You dont mention what your mold is made of.

I'd recommend trying your homemade release on a small area before trying to cast the whole thing. No better way to find out than to try.

-GageFX

3. Collapse Details
    Oh i did forget to mention that were just using good ole plaster of paris.

4. Collapse Details
    plaster of paris is rather porous. like i mentioned, try a little test and see what works. I would suggest getting a bag of ultracal. much better mold material and much less porous.

Just curious, where does your screen name come from?

- GageFX

5. Collapse Details
    Hmm... My handy-dandy Special Effects Make-up book doesn't mention any sort of release agent at all.

Sure you need one?
    Movies, Music

"I thought you had to go to Pittsburgh for that."

6. Collapse Details
    Latex on plaster is is not the hardest thing to seperate, but it is advised. I'm on my way over to ISS, I'll ask what they recommend.

-GageFX

7. Collapse Details
    Okay. So I visited with the guys in the rubber room at ISS. The first thing they said is "Why are you making molds out of plaster of paris?"

I said, "It's not me."

They then said, just use release agent. Nothing else will work as well and petroleum based solutions will not react well with the latex. I asked "What about no release?" They said, "no. You need it. Especially with the plaster of paris.

The can he had - I dont remember the brand - he said was $10. Comeon Cook, shell out the 10 bones. He also offered to give me the can. I reminded him it wasnt my project.

$10.

-GageFX

8. Collapse Details
    well I will have to make the trip then, i just didnt want to have to drive an hour away to get a release agent when i had the mold and the latex all set and ready i should of thought about that when i set out of the project. My screen name is my last name. I do or try to do special FX and visual effects is what I was going to school for till the school found that it wasnt attracting enough people and that 50 students wasnt worth having and shut down the program. So I sued and got some tuition back, and Im slightly trained in after effects, and have a basic knowledge of compositing, and green screen. I took a whole year of just editing on FCP. But yeah the name is just my last name. And if you asking why i call myself sinister after my first name is because thats my nickname.

9. Collapse Details
    Cool. "GageFX " comes from when I was working in the field here in LA. Dont ask about Gage. Makes no sense and I dont case to explain. It's stuck, though. I worked go 4 different major shops and finally decided it wasn't what I wanted to do. Fun stuff though. If you ever come to LA looking to work, I'll see what I can do.

- GageFX

10. Collapse Details
    We just did this for our horror shoot and Vasoline worked like a charm. We made the same prosthetic over and over from one mold, and as long as we greased it up good with Vasoline everything came out fine.

Gage, what do you mean by "petroleum based solutions will not react well with the latex?" Just curious, because as I said we just did this and it worked great, and I'm probably going to be doing some more of this kind of thing (I thought shooting was fun, but it ain't nothing compared to making monster make-up!!! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast