Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Actually, this product looks very interesting, not to record uncompressed but to bypass the 25mbit HDV compression and capture to a decent HD codec. On Mac, Photo JPEG at 75% quality would be an excellent choice in principle, although even the new Mac Pro seems to stuggle to encode in real-time. DVCPRO HD would be another possibility.

Either way, a simple FireWire drive can easily handle the bandwidth and a laptop is a whole lot more practical in the field than a Mac Pro!

2. Collapse Details
    I went by BlackMagic's website and it said you can use two Intensity cards in a high-end Mac with their switching software called On-Air 2 and switch 2 HDMI signals while recording the result to hard drive.

Doesn't the Red have an HDMI output?

Couldn't you use Intensity to record a live-switched two Red-camera shoot?

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    As far as I knew you couldn't expand a Mac Mini in the first place. a Mini PC, however, yes.

Which laptops come with the ability to add a capture card? Only option I've been thinking of is Mini - PC cube with two internal drives. Or, maybe, two external G-Raids.

Why won't the cameras just be here so I can test?
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    That means a data rate of somewhere around 250 megabytes per second. How could you even begin to record that on an imac's internal drive? Or a laptop's? Hard drives only run at around 30 megabytes per second.
    Reasoning that most modern laptops come with a firewire port, and that Firewire's bandwidth is either 400MBs or 800, I would assume that unless there is a technical idiosynchracy i am unaware of, that would mean a Laptops hardrive "can" store at a significantly faster rate than 30mbs.

Besides, arent those external USB 2.0 harddisks up to snuff? Unless the bottleneck is that the data has to go "through" the computer first. Still, should be decently fast.

And wait, the new IMacs have a laptop-type Hard disks? Man, yeah I know its the only logical explanation for the slim size, but I just so want this to be untrue!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    It is a PCI Express Card.

Of course it won't work on a Mac or PC without slots.

or am I missing something?
    No you are not. Actually I was referring to what I had mentioned in another thread. I mentioned that BlackMagic ought to be considering PCMCIA cards. We really need those cards on laptops.

Make sense now?

Quote Originally Posted by kholi
    Which laptops come with the ability to add a capture card?
    I think I already answered that. We need PCMCIA cards...and faster Hard-disks...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    Reasoning that most modern laptops come with a firewire port, and that Firewire's bandwidth is either 400MBs or 800, I would assume that unless there is a technical idiosynchracy i am unaware of, that would mean a Laptops hardrive "can" store at a significantly faster rate than 30mbs.
    Bits and bytes, bits and bytes. Laptop hard drives run at around 30 megaBYTES per second, firewire runs at 400 megaBITS per second. Even so, firewire is capable of up to 50 megabytes per second, laptop drives aren't. You can look at the tests for yourself; tom's hardware guide used to have lots of great test info but they seem to have undergone some sort of reorganization and I can't find anything decent on 'em.

Let's put it this way -- a two-drive 3.5" RAID like a G-RAID can only sustain a maximum throughput write rate of about 50 megabytes per second. No way will a little 3.5" or 2.5" laptop hard disk come close to that.

7. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    One thing I have never understood about Black-Magic is why they dont go more for mobility?
    What I don't understand is, after spending close to $1,000 for one of their cards, why couldn't they throw in a few cables? Even a manual would have been nice.

8. Collapse Details
    HD Uncompressed? you'll at least 400mbs a to succefully run uncompressed video with AVID of Finalcut using any of their capture boards MOJO.BLACKMAGIC or AJA. You will need a fiber channel drives to have that type of tranfer rate. Raids 1 or 2 will not work in your favour at 270mbs, you will expereince drops in the transfer speed pretty much all the time using uncompressed.
    Solution, dig all your media on site with your laptop usind HDVPRO if you wish to see how the edit would look in big format, I recommend you did 4:3 to save space for your off-line, Firewire 800 should bring HDVPRO in only some problems, I recommend a SATA drive for best results. You should!, unfortunately at this time only use HD 10 or 12 bit unconpressed during your online process, at this point if in most casses can't afford a fiber channel drives you can rent them for a day or two to get you media at that quality.
    As far as laptops you won't experience this type of technology that is applied to your desktop computers for sometime.

9. Collapse Details
    Actually capturing uncompressed HD on Laptop has been done in the past.
    Scott Billups had a portable system back in 2003, using his Powerbook g4 with a Magma extension cabinet with the Pinnacle Cinewave and a scsi controller, and an external raid.
    This enabled him to capture uncompressed 8-bit 1080p.
    Article

If a company made a combined eSATA / HDMI expresscard it should be possible to capture uncompressed 10 bit 1080 to a 4 way SATAII hardware raid.
    CodeMonkey of P2Genie (Mac), FCP Rescue and....The Dane Hack

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    How could you even begin to record that on an imac's internal drive? Or a laptop's? Hard drives only run at around 30 megabytes per second.
    The new Imasc have a 160GB Serial ATA 7200-rpm hard drive at a minimum. I am sure thats more than 30 MB per second. So now we only need a PCI slot on the IMac and we are all set.

I wish Apple would produce an Imac with a PCI slot...

Thanks for the link Anders. Checking it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast