Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Blackmagic Intensity: First HDMI PCI Express card
    What do you think about this?

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    If you are on a mac, this is horrible, particularly because you can only use it with the Mac Pro. On a PC its fine.

One thing I have never understood about Black-Magic is why they dont go more for mobility? PCI Unompresseed HD Capture cards are suitable only for studio-like environments since desktops obviously cant be carried around. We need a latop/notebook solution, especially since Merom processors now allow Laptops to be as powerful as Desktops for processing HD.

I wish either the MacMini could be modified to accept the cards, or BlackMagic would release a PCMCIA card so that we could use a new Merom Laptop with the camera and really get some Indie-style Uncompressed-HD fottage.

4. Collapse Details
    This is not true. Any Power Mac G5 with PCI-Express slots will run this card.

-Christopher

5. Collapse Details
    Thats what I meant. You cant use it with IMac, emac, or or the books...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    It is a PCI Express Card.

Of course it won't work on a Mac or PC without slots.

or am I missing something?

7. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    It's pretty portable when you take time to plot out a portable system.

A little PC Cube with a large enough HD LCD screen with this input is rather portable. I mean, you get into powering issues, but once you figure that out then you're set.

S'what I plan to do.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    Well of course not. It's recording uncompressed HD! It needs the PCI bus to handle the data rate of, what is it, 2 gigabits per second? That means a data rate of somewhere around 250 megabytes per second. How could you even begin to record that on an imac's internal drive? Or a laptop's? Hard drives only run at around 30 megabytes per second.

It is an impossibility. The only way you could even start to do so would be to compress the footage. And if you're compressing, then what's the point of recording uncompressed?

9. Collapse Details
    You need a Raid 0 of at least 10 drives with fiberlink or infiniband (sata II may just cut it) to lay down 250megabytes a second... this could work no a mac mini.. as long as you have a small refrigerator sized raid array sitting below it.

10. Collapse Details
    Silly Product
    I want to record the decompressed HDMI signal uncompressed so that I can....what. Eat up a ton of hard drive space. It's analagous to capturing SDI (270 mbps) from DVCam (25mbps) tape. It's not like there is anything out there (acquisition) that records uncompressed HDMI. Even HDCam SR is compressed. Good enough for Star Wars good enough for you I always say. What I would like to see is an HD toaster. Remember when computers weren't fast enough to process video and you had to use dedicated external boxes? What about having a box that had various inputs analog HD, HDSDI, etc., married to a SATA card. You could use a slow machine that would control the parameters of the box but the actual processing would be done on the toaster. Your machine would only guide the process and not do the processing. You could use a G3 iBook and a SATA raid and capture high data rate HD. The major cost of devices like the FS 100 is the development of the control processes that your computer cal already do. 2000 dollars for a 100gb hard drive is ridiculous. My 100gb hard drive has a 17" screen and runs my editing software as well as email, after effects, photoshop, etc., Innovation Please!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast