Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by StMad
    Why is deep dof even considered an issue? On a 1/3" sensor it'll be marginally shallower - and you'll only notice this when a number things like zoom and object distance are maximised. Even then you'll lose your field of view. Framing becomes more difficult.

Fit an adapter, and as long as your image is sharp to start with, you're laughing.
    Well, the difference in size (diagonal) compared to 1/3in is 33% ((6-4)/6), difference in area is 55.5% (((4.8*3.6)-(3.2*2.4))/(4.8*3.6)) .. is it not? (numbers in mm) Far from insignificant ... and actually makes it clear just how much less light 1/4in would receive, especially when you're already dealing with the tiny photosites needed for HD.

I don't know precisely how that change in area will relate to DOF, can anyone save me an hour of reading up on the maths involved? ;)

For those of us who always strive for as shallow DOF as possible, this may be significant.

I completely agree that if the cam is sharp enough then it will take a 35mm adapter, and this is something that I was seriously thinking about (35mm on a V1, fed via HDMI into the new blackmagic card), but the 35mm adapter will be really impractical for any kind of doc / run-and-gun type of work.... I wish that all of my filming was music promo and cini style, but it isn't ;)

EDIT: looking at the numbers (but not actually researching it properly yet), my best guess is that the difference in DOF would be proportional to the diameter ... so a 33% difference, where aperture and focal length are equal?
    Last edited by epicedium; 10-01-2006 at 06:30 AM.
    www.mothcatcher.co.uk Mothcatcher/ The Hold, Edinburgh, UK

2. Collapse Details
    I saw this camcorder at NAB in NYC, Looks like the old VX1000 in size and shape, a bit heavier. It will compete with the HVX and the new small Canon. Sony has a new way of extracting HDV from 1/4" CMOS chips. Looks like the Canon A1 and will probably be its closest competitor, for now. I would like to see a side-by-side between these two camcorders.
    Last edited by accelv; 10-26-2006 at 07:24 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    I recently saw some v-1 footage at the miami digital expo. It was an hdv tape playing back on a hdv sony deck. The footage looks like the real deal, 24p, nice color, and no motion artifacts. The blacks looked a little milky. I think sony is going to hit a home run on this one.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456