Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGobo
    I'd say 30 years is long enough to figure out if your material is worth saving on a film print or not...
    Ha ha, that's funny . . . film in 2036?

I don't think so.

More likely everything will be reduced to a chip the width of a nose hair and wi-fi'd directly to the brain, bypassing the optic nerve completely. But hey, who nose?
    Canon 6D Mark II Tokina 11-20, Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

2. Collapse Details
    Film is the best way to make sure the footage stays around a good long time...

3. Collapse Details
    (Retract)

My apologies to Jan. I had made a defensive remark about DV tape being able to hold HD on the HD100, but realized she meant using DV tape as an archiving option specifically for the HVX200, which of course cannot store HD on DV tape.

Again, I'm sorry. It was inappropriate under the context of this thread.
    Last edited by Neopics; 10-01-2006 at 01:30 AM.
    Earl R. Thurston
    Director of Digital Media Services
    Stargate Connections Inc.

4. Collapse Details
    As I said, a purly electronic system cannot in any way be considerd archival, if by archival you mean "beyond my / our lifetime"
    Provided the base is archival (Estar rather than acetate), and the film is stored sympatheticaly, then the image can always be "read", can the same be said of any electronic/digital system? I think not, even if the data does not degrade, can it be decoded? Again probably not, certainly not in the 100+ year timescale, and remember, old B&W silents of 80 years ago can still be recoverd, and still photos of 150 yr are still around.

Dave

5. Collapse Details
    Dave,

I think in this and other Video applications when we discuss archive, we really are talking about the footage to be useable in our lifetime for our own interests and money making capability. Your point is taken and the Library of Congress would agree with you as for the purest interpretation of the word. However the folks that are working with video as data, need a means of archiving and retreiving their footage shot today yesterday and years ago. On tape, that is pretty straight-forward, just find the tape; in the data domain, one has to retool a bit to resolve that parameter. That is what this discussion is about.

While I am sure it would be in everyone's wildest dreams to have the Library of Congress care about their images being preserved for the next 100 years, most of us really need a means of finding the one clip out of 40,000 that has the subject matter on it that I need, and that is what this solution will help folks do and yes it is called an archive as well.

Hope that puts it into perspective for you.

Best,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daveswan
    Hmm...30 yr life
    Sorry and all, but 30 yr aint archival. To me "archival" means min 100 years. In fact, can it be said that any purly electronic system of data storage be called archival? I think not, but that's a topic for another thread.
    I've seen 10 year pen on paper that didn't last.... can't imagine what media you're thinking of. Heck, film isn't much better than 30 years. I think the gentleman that stopped by at IBC had it right. His company budgets to transfer their important archives over to current technology every 10 years.

7. Collapse Details
    Jan, your point is well taken, and I apologise for hijacking this thread. It wasn't intentional. Perhaps discusions about what constitutes "archivality" belong in another forum

Dave

8. Collapse Details
    All my tape drive backups from 1989 to 1995 when I switched to CDs are demagnetized and non functional. Some of those old CDs that werent gold are toast too.

9. Collapse Details
    what is the best archiving solution ?

10. Collapse Details
    That's clearly a matter of opinion and personal need.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123