Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    For higher end users of P2 (think news, corporate, advertising), this archiving solution makes a lot of sense ... and really isn't very expensive when compared to digi decks, and P2 cards, for that matter.

I've no doubt that it will sell well, but the majority of the dvxuser crowd are hardly its core market- most can hardly afford the HVX, let alone expensive archiving.
    www.mothcatcher.co.uk Mothcatcher/ The Hold, Edinburgh, UK

2. Collapse Details
    How about the new 70 gb REV Drives?
    SÚrgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

3. Collapse Details
    A few questions mulling around in my head here...what kind of tape this is...what makes it good for archival use, for instance--how big is one of the cassettes, how much would a pack of 'em cost you, if it's a hard drive/tape deck system or does it just write directly to the tape, and when I say tape I'm thinking DV tape or something similar to it, am I off base there? I'm kinda confused, and you guys' site was slightly unclear. In any case it seems like a step forward for the P2 workflow, if the tapes or whatever are cheap and don't artifact (much) and store well. So yeah, hopeful...but ever-so-slightly confused.
    Last edited by Justin Kuhn; 09-27-2006 at 09:25 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I agree the message from Quantum may not be that honed yet. As we finalize our integration with the tape drive hopefully our marketing spin will be a bit cleared in P2 terms.

I spent 5 days with these guys in Amsterdam and learned a lot. To get a 30 year shelf life the tape isn't your run of the mill stuff. Also, the deck has smarts when it comes to cueing a file--very fast.

I can't answer the pricing issues at this point. Quantum uses only select dealers for this product at the moment.

What's very cool is the "MXF aware" feature....being able to retrieve only snippets of needed material rather than forcing original file sizes. Also being application independent means the files look just like any hard disk in Finder or Explorer.

The physical size of a cassette is about that of a BetaCamSP. There is no hard disk involved. But, the drive builds an index on each tape for the file listing.
    Last edited by Dan Montgomery; 10-02-2006 at 05:16 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Of course I've got more questions...but for now I'm going to just say it sounds pretty darn good, even for 7K or so.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGobo
    A few questions mulling around in my head here...what kind of tape this is...what makes it good for archival use, for instance--how big is one of the cassettes, how much would a pack of 'em cost you, if it's a hard drive/tape deck system or does it just write directly to the tape, and when I say tape I'm thinking DV tape or something similar to it, am I off base there? I'm kinda confused, and you guys' site was slightly unclear. In any case it seems like a step forward for the P2 workflow, if the tapes or whatever are cheap and don't artifact (much) and store well. So yeah, hopeful...but ever-so-slightly confused.

The way that the Quantum Drive works is that it saves blank space at the front of the tape to record the MXF information, this makes for speedy retireival of single clips. The tape is a metal particle tape, unlike DV tape which is Metal Evaporated tape. Quantum does have a white paper on their website about the archival nature of one type versus the other with the conclusion being that Metal Particle tape is vastly superior in the long haul.

When determining the price of the tape you need to bring it down to how much per GB. As I recall the 300GB tape was about $100. This means that your cost of storage is 30 cents a GB. When comparing that to DV tape, DV tape is about 16 cents a minute and unreliable and of course is not HD. DVCPRO HD tape is about $1.00 per GB, so I am sure you can see the savings in the SDLT archive and you have a random access ability that is just not possible on tape.

Hope this helps,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

7. Collapse Details
    It does indeed, very illuminating. Thanks!

8. Collapse Details
    Hmm...30 yr life
    Sorry and all, but 30 yr aint archival. To me "archival" means min 100 years. In fact, can it be said that any purly electronic system of data storage be called archival? I think not, but that's a topic for another thread.

9. Collapse Details
    "MXF aware" and the way this works is pretty cool, almost overcomes being a linear storage solution. I think I'm going to trudge along with my $750 (bought used on eBay 5 months ago) LTO-2 drive and $20 tapes.

Now if I were a TV station this would be the cats meow . . .
    Canon 70-200 & 24-70, Tokina 11-20, Sigma 18-35, Rokinon 35, 50, 85, 135, GH4, Lumix 20, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300.

10. Collapse Details
    I'd say 30 years is long enough to figure out if your material is worth saving on a film print or not...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast