Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Panasonic Products!
    I just talked to a rep now who just happend to walk by where I'm sitting after the show has closed, I have info on some new high end Panny gear.

I spoke to the good gentalman for a few mintues and he filled me in on some excitign new gear from panny.
    I've just found the press releases here: http://panasonic-broadcast.com/index...E3DBF1F3CEFB2D

The main new products are:
    AJ-HPX2100 . a 2/3" Big brother to the HVX, inluding most (all?) of the features of the HVX and more including AVC-intra.
    720/50p support in their AG-HD 1400 deck.
    AV-HS300 low cost HD/SD viedeo switcher.

.zip of all the press releases here too: http://ibc.mikkowilson.com/amsterdam2006.zip

Here's some key quotes about the HPX2100:

Specifications:

• 2/3” 1.0M pixels Progressive 3CCD
    • High sensitivity up to F10(2000lx)
    • 5 P2 card slots with hot swapping capability giving continuous shooting.
    • ND/CC Filter (two filter wheels)

Rec. Formats:

HD; DVCPROHD & AVC-Intra (H.264)

DVCPRO HD :
      1080/60i, 50i, 25P(over 50i), 30P/24P/24PA(over 60i)
      720/60P, 50P, 25P(over 50P),30P/24P(over 60P)

SD; DVCPRO50, DVCPRO & DV
      480/60i, 30P/24P/24PA(over 60i), 576/50i, 25P(over 50i)

AVC-Intra (H.264) :
       1080/50i, 60i, 25PN/30PN/24PN
       720/50P, 60P, 25PN/30PN/ 24PN

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Cool -- thanks for finding that!

Looks like Panasonic has a bunch of new press releases about new products.

One is the HPX2100 -- curious, as I thought they were announcing an HPC2000. Looks like the HPC either got replaced or upgraded to an HPX. 2/3", 5 P2 slots, and 1080 @ 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i & 60i, and 720p @ 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60, in both DVCPRO-HD and also AVC-Intra! And, unlike the HDX900, it also does standard-def in DV, DVCPRO, and DVCPRO50, in both NTSC and PAL, in 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i, and 60i.
    Availability is 1Q 2007, with a suggested retail price of $29,990 Euros.

They've also announced AVC-Intra, an intraframe-only codec based on H.264/AVC. They introduced two bitrates, 50 megabits and 100 megabits. At 50 megabits they say it's equivalent in quality to DVCPRO-HD but at half the bandwidth (or, put another way, the effective recording time on P2 cards is now doubled). But in the 100 megabits mode it's higher quality than DVCPRO-HD and records the full 1920x1080 raster.

They also announced a "P2 Mobile", which they describe as a P2-based laptop-style field editor with six slots and an LCD screen, speakers & a jog-shuttle controller, with built-in upconvert/downconvert capabilities. Supports P2 in DVCPRO-HD and AVC-Intra as well as all the SD formats; MSRP = 12,000 Euros.

Also announced the AV-HS300, a live HD/SD switcher, 7000 Euros.

3. Collapse Details
    Any idea Barry about where they would put this AVC-Intra codec? Meaning a new camera (replacing the 100b) or is it something to record on P2 on the HVX? Or will it settle into a higher end camera.

Looking to move on from my DVX-100 and shooting long format stuff overseas. Will go 100b out of convience or llok for something coming down the pike...

FD

4. Collapse Details
    AVC intra is for the high end cameras.

So in the prosumer class its gonna be AVCHD

5. Collapse Details
    As MovieSwede says, there's two new formats coming out.

AVC-HD is their answer to HDV. It's a long-GOP 4:2:0 format, but based on H.264/AVC instead of MPEG-2. I would expect any potential DVX replacement to be based on AVC-HD (but note: there has been no mention anywhere of the DVX being replaced).

AVC-Intra is a new professional format, an intraframe-only version meant to provide DVCPRO-HD quality at lower bitrates, and even better quality at the same or higher bitrates.

So I would expect that AVC-Intra is likely to appear on the big 2/3" cameras and above (like the aforementioned HPX2100) and AVC-HD would be on the consumer/prosumer lineup.

AVC-Intra can be recorded to the P2 cards. AVC-HD is much lower bandwidth (18 megabits or even less, Sony's AVC-HD goes down to 5 megabits) so you could get up to 20x as much recording on a P2 card with AVC-HD (but obviously not at the same quality!) AVC-HD can be recorded straight to SD cards as well, which points to tiny HD cameras as a possibility.

6. Collapse Details
    Price of the new cam?

7. Collapse Details
    That would be a nice firmware upgrade! . . .

8. Collapse Details
    AVC-HD cannot be implemented in a firmware upgrade. It would require a hardware encoder chip, and that's not something you can download off the internet!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green
    AVC-HD cannot be implemented in a firmware upgrade. It would require a hardware encoder chip, and that's not something you can download off the internet!
    I'd still try!

10. Collapse Details
    Wish Panasonic came out with something new in the $4,000 range that is a competitor of the Canon A1.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast