Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Where is Panasonic?
    It seems Panasonic hasn't opted for a stand at the IBC2006 this year. Does anyone know what the reason for this is?

And...ehhh...I haven't found the Avid-stand yet (after two full days at IBC), but they might be in the one hall I haven't found the time to visit yet. Are they actually there? They're missing in the floor-plan.

Also, some smaller companies that aren't represented this year that I'd have loved to talk to: Bryco (miniDV-storage), Rode-microphones and a small company I saw last year that sells a system that lets you use a PDA for teleprompting.

2. Collapse Details
    They made an announcement after last year that they weren't going to be exhibiting at IBC anymore. There's a press release around somewhere, google for it and you'll probably find it.

3. Collapse Details
    Panasonic not showing up was a surprise to me, but I have heard from a few people this year that the crowds arn't as big as normal so maybe they made the right call... Although its always good to show up when all the competitors do.

4. Collapse Details
    Here's the text of the press release after last year's IBC:

------------------

After a lot of discussion, consultation and deliberation, Panasonic Marketing Europe has come to an important decision regarding the future of its Marketing strategy with regard to IBC.

For reasons laid out below Panasonic has decided not to exhibit at IBC in 2006 and for the foreseeable future.

We have several reasons that we feel are contributory to this decision. They are:

• The number of broadcast professionals is increasing and multi tasking more as workflows become simpler. This means there are more influences on the purchase and use of equipment today.

• Fewer of these people will make it to large exhibitions as they can get all the information they need from the internet via websites and discussion forums.

• Increase of competitors and solutions means the use of marketing tools need to be more fine tuned, requiring all of us to make the best use of those tools and to be sure that the investments made receive the appropriate return.

• Not all customers attend exhibitions to check, test or see products and solutions. Some come to listen the basic direction and strategy of every manufacturer, looking for those manufacturers and solution suppliers who will better fit into their company strategy.

• Massive marketing tools, in our industry have clearly demonstrated their lack of success. Return in the kind of investments made is at best difficult to justify. Sniper activities are very welcomed by customers, as it better fits their expectations. We know where these customers are and if we can offer them a personal solution to their production needs we can better offer a full range of marketing opportunities.

In summary, customers have changed their behavior, while suppliers haven’t changed the way to approach them. With this in mind Panasonic would like to make the following statements:

Panasonic and IBC as an Organization have always had extremely good relations. Panasonic wants to take this opportunity to thank them for the support and sensitivity to our requests and needs. In one way or another we will keep collaborating with IBC.

Panasonic wants to thank Amsterdam and Holland for the hospitality they have shown us over the years. So it is not a decision, at all, based on the voices that say that IBC should move somewhere else. Independently of the city, we would not attend.

It is not a decision in order to cut costs in our operations. In fact we are already working on the use of a higher budget for activities next year. We intend to use this in a more focused approach on the targets we decide are key to be promoted directly from Panasonic Broadcast Europe. So in fact, we intend to make a more efficient use of our investment.

Obviously, this is not a decision based on the findings of one person in PME. But is based on a strong conviction of the whole team that nowadays exhibitions, for large organizations such as we are, find it increasingly tough to find a return in the huge investments we make, when in a changing world there are probably other ways of making the best use of resources (especially people and time).

We will keep attending IBC, but not as Exhibitor. We intend on having a Press Conference as this is an outstanding opportunity to meet so many of the press in one place. We will also study other activities that we will participate in.

If you require any more information on the contents of this release, it’s motivation or news on future marketing plans please contact info@eu.panasonic.com

5. Collapse Details
    Avid is not here, but Digidesign is (stand 7.924). I think it is not wise for Panasonic not to show up at IBC. Sure the Sony power here is overwhelming, but they (Pana) need to present their possibilities. It's a choice.

The crowd is actually BIGGER then last year!!
    Look outside...Do you see noise?

6. Collapse Details
    I just read the Panasonic-statement as well (at https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...o/ibc/133.html), but it is still a mystery to me why they would actually take the DRASTIC step of not promoting their own products at all. Even if I accept the fact that a company can decide to spend their PR-budget in a better way than attending large exhibitions, surely they could've scaled down their presence and thereby keeping in touch with their customer base.

I am actually personally terribly dissappointed they are not at IBC as I was hoping on a face2face meeting with a representative of Panasonic Broadcast (NL). Now I will have to schedule an appointment with them that might (or might not) be a complete waste of their and my time.

IBC is, for me, an ideal platform for getting all the major players in Broadcast (and Prosumer) together and have meetings about the $1mil+ retail-business I represent in just a couple of days. Panasonic's non-presence is a major dissappointment and I hope they will reconsider for next year's event.

7. Collapse Details
    Mike: ( HD for Indies)
    Amsterdam: Day Two, IBC Day Minus One
    'The town has good genes - there are gorgeous women with impeccable cheekbones every 9 feet in this town. Wow.'

You see what Panasonic is missing in our city?
    Look outside...Do you see noise?

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    eheh

i already posted it but these gringos don't believe it!

9. Collapse Details
    When will they release there new camera's? well at leats talk about them or some us pics?

10. Collapse Details
    Well we see a cheaper hxv200?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast