Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    TheatreGuy's "ID"
    A call for help.... write a new ending for I.D. details click here!!!

Fresh off the presses!!! NEW LADDER RIGS!!!! click to visit!!!

THE CEILING DRIPS BLOOD!!! how I did it! click to visit post #323

NEW SCREEN GRABS!!! click to visit!!!
    [IMG][/IMG] HOT! HOT! HOT!

In fairness to Kelli Leigh-Ann Connors, (the woman in the bloody basement scene), I thought that I would post a grab of her when she is not so... um, into the part! (so to speak!) ((I can't give away my story!!!)

JUST ADDED! Dead Body photo!!!

Greetings Filmmakers and fellow Wannabes!

This thread could be titled, "The diary of making your first film" or better yet, "The ultimate how-to guide of how not to make your first film!"

Either way, I hope that this thread can offer entertainment, enlightenment and encouragement... not only for the guests who may read and post here, but for me as well! It is my hope that I not only make a film short that I will be proud to share but that I can learn from this experience.

With that in mind, I hope that you all feel free to leave feedback, advice and criticism. (And I welcome stupid questions... it helps me not to feel so stupid!

(I know, a very different approach than MOVIE MASTER but please don't be misled... I do intend to present a film that will hopefully give you the heeby-jeebies!)

FIRST DIARY ENTRY: 9-8-06

Dear Diary, I have posted my first design of the poster and banner for "ID." Fairly happy with it but want to find time to enhance the design.

Test footage has gone well. Learned a lot. Making wedding videos and taping events is a much different creature. There is so much more to think about with camera angles, wide or medium wide framing, etc.

Today, I started shooting "ID." I'd like to say that I have a scene in the can but I don't. I would but I have a cable running across the counter that I simply cannot allow. A bit of advice... next time hire an actor! Trying to do everything by myself is crazy! But having worked on film sets, as an actor, of many productions I know how much actors sit around. I don't want to do that to anyone as I go through these learning stages. I do have two actors who will have minimal screen time as well as two extras. Their shoots are scheduled for next week. (Let me be the guinea pig!)

As far as the script... I am very happy with it. I had a good day when I wrote it. The creative juices were really flowing. I have sweetened it up by adding blood where ever I could and have changed my ending. I feel that it is now more horrifying and I can't wait to see it other than in my mind.

One concern is the time limit. 6 minutes can seem like an eternity as well as just a brief moment. I edited the scene that I shot today, even with the cable running through it, to get an idea of the timing. It took 25 seconds! Yikes! Must trim!!!

Other than that, I feel really good about "ID." (We won't even talk about adding a score yet. When I think about it, I get freaked out with the amount of work I need to complete before I reach that stage!)

Well, I need to get back to shooting! I'll write back later. And I will post some pictures that I shot while on the set!

Until then - Ted

Entry 9-8-06 supplemental (I feel like a captain on the Enterprise!)

Shot some great footage today. Taking advantage of the full moon period. Very pleased.

Interior kitchen shot that had the cable running through it now has my wife's Pampered Chef catalogue teasing the corner! I have to check out this "over-scan" feature on the dvx100B. According to what I've read, you see the entire frame in the LCD screen. I am not so sure. I checked and double checked that counter top. But when I captured the footage, I found the teasing catalogue. I could live with it, but alas.... I was barefoot in the shot and I need to be wearing white socks! (continuity note! When I later shoot the scene when I step in a puddle of blood, the white socks will be much more effective than bare feet!)

UPDATE ON LCD SCREEN IN SQUEEZE MODE with the DVX100B... In squeeze mode, the LCD has a 10% underscan!!! VERY IMPORTANT info for 100b users since one of the improved features is the fact that the LCD now gives you the complete shot (overscan). BUT THAT IS ONLY IN 4:3 mode. NOT SQUEEZE.

Make a note of it... you'll be glad that you did!

Had some nice comments posted today. Well wishers and the like. I have to agree with desperatecomfort when he stated that these fest are a good motivation to shoot. It's what got me off my butt!

Will post pictures tomorrow. Too tired tonight. Lugged all my gear to a deserted, hillside cemetary and stayed to shot several moon shots.

Till Tomorrow - Ted

Entry 9-9-06

As promised... some photos!

screen grabs...

and a picture of my "camera rig!"

The above 2 screen grabs are shot in sqeeze mode but when I pulled the clip from FCP, it doesn't seems to present them in their wide screen format. Maybe something that I have to do in FCP before clipping a grab or something that I have to do in photoshop. Either way, I'll work on that. If anyone knows an easy solution, besides shooting in 4:3 cropped (I've read Barry's "violet purple font!") let me know.

Well, I have to go to the racetrack and videotape a car race! Try to post more soon!

Until then - Ted

Entry 9-9-06 supplemental

Okay! I survived my shoot at the race track! Had fun doing it but really wanted to be shooting my film!!!

Anyway, I did want to take a moment and post a couple more stills. Nothing too exciting, but I can't give you blood everytime! Gotta save some surpises!!!

These next two are from the abandon hillside cemetary that I found while scouting for locations. The first shot is from the dvx100b scene file 6. The second is after I played with the settings.

Well, I will be celebrating the NFL kick-off season tomorrow with my annual party. Not much shooting gonna get done. But Monday!

I'll be back - Ted
    Last edited by TheatreGuy; 10-12-2006 at 06:14 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Congrats!!! I am glad you are making this film. It sounds like a good "first movie experience" I hope everything goes well for you, and I look forward to your updates!

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, to a degree, this is what these fests are really good for, is to give people an excuse to get shooting.

4. Collapse Details
    I like the poster it's moody... Good luck on your short.

5. Collapse Details
    Good luck man! Way to get out and make a film!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    Good luck and have fun!

I'm in the same situation about the score. I'm a little freaked but, I always go back
    to the K.I.S.S. rule.

7. Collapse Details
    Photos added to first post!

And thanks for the good words!!!

8. Collapse Details
    Ted,

I love your diary and am really enjoying your sense of humor and attitude. I'm betting that you are going to be cooking up something pretty damn cool in that kitchen. Love the way you elevated your camera and the resulting shots are wonderful. You can really tell that you love what you're doing and that means everything. All the best to you.

Mark

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheatreGuy

Entry 9-9-06

As promised... some photos!

screen grabs...

and a picture of my "camera rig!"

The above 2 screen grabs are shot in sqeeze mode but when I pulled the clip from FCP, it doesn't seems to present them in their wide screen format. Maybe something that I have to do in FCP before clipping a grab or something that I have to do in photoshop. Either way, I'll work on that. If anyone knows an easy solution, besides shooting in 4:3 cropped (I've read Barry's "violet purple font!") let me know.

Well, I have to go to the racetrack and videotape a car race! Try to post more soon!

Until then - Ted
    Love the rig! I like the screenshots!

10. Collapse Details
    The rig's hilarious and resourceful. Great solution!

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast