Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    What are the projected ship dates for JVC's new HD110, HD200, and HD250 (at NAB2006, JVC had announced different, staged release dates for each model)? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Ralph Oshiro; 09-09-2006 at 03:52 AM.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by visualbrother
    If your talking 24frames then 720/25P is not great, but its not that bad either. If your talking TV then 720/50P is the same as 1080i for most things its actually better. DVCPro HD is 1440 scaled up to 1920 so is HDCAM, 1440 devided by 2 is 720 :P For effects, chroma keying etc. 720 50P is perfect a lot better then 1080i.

Please enlighten us about your filmmakers point of view, you showing your DVX work on 35mill copies? I'm a filmmaker, I think video standarts are important to know and abuse. And 720P has its advantages if your going to use effects.

As for the HD100 and HD250: your better off buying a HVX, not just because you have the choice of resolution and recoding formats. (P2 rules) but your not going to use the lens option. Unless your going to rent a PS+tecnick option, but then your better off with a HVX as well. Putting a 2/3' lens on a 1'3' body just means your brilliant broadcast wideangle turned into a basic long lens.. wel sort off and getting the overpriced 1/3' lens is a bad joke.

Personally I think the whole idea of producing 1/3" HD cameras is ridicoulous, the last thing you want as a filmmaker is a HD camera with more DOF then your grandmother has grey hairs.

"ok so we pull back from the flower and focus on the woman in the corner"
    "eeeh like we can't its all in focus.... like we need a bigger set if you want to do focus pulls..."

Oh aand i think the HD100 is a horrible little camera to shoot with, crappy viewfinder, to light for real shoulder work but a great idea. The canon is, like the HVX, just another gloryfied camcorder but then again i'm used to real cameras so perhaps not the best point of view here :P
    i can sum the question with only four characters or in this case a number: 1:2.35

3. Collapse Details

Is that your question in regard to my answer or your answer in regard to my question?

With any luck i'll be shooting a short with a viper or a sony 950 next month, should be fun to take the HVX and HD 100 on set and shoot along side.
    It's Digital and Exposed: www.digital-exposure.com

Yo Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/visualbrother
    the videoplayground.

4. Collapse Details
    Why do people whine about 720p being useless when so many of us were all using 480p (or even 480i) so often and so many still are? If audiences can still stomache SD then they can certainly stomache 720p (uprezzed if neccesary). For that matter, I'd much rather have a lower rez progressive signal than a higher rez interlaced one. Interlaced just seems plain stupid.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugitive
    Well, frankly, I didnt know. I was basing the comment on my previous knowledge of what I had read. Thanks for the correction. As far as creating FUD is concerned, I think we are at liberty to make such comments if only so that someone can correct our ignorance about them. Thats what DVXUser is for, isn't it?
    That's true. I was probably too hard on you guys. Anyhow, no worries

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by visualbrother
    DVCPro HD is 1440 scaled up to 1920 so is HDCAM, 1440 devided by 2 is 720 :P For effects, chroma keying etc. 720 50P is perfect a lot better then 1080i.P
    Respectfully, DVCPRO HD recorded format is actually 1280 scaled during playback to 1920. Because of DVCPRO HD's limited bandwidth (100Mbps vs. HDCam's 140 Mbps) it was not possible to record HDCam's 1440 frame size.

Please don't interpret my comments as coming from a Sony fan. I'm truly not.

7. Collapse Details
    Why not a Sony fan? They still make some very nice stuff. A Sony DvCam industrial camera has definately my preference over a Panasonic DVX100 of HVX200 when shooting SD I think in general Sony's DP150 and 170 are both great at low light conditions as well, Panasonic gives weird cheap stretchy noise.

Anyway, do you mean the HVX200 shoots at 1280? Or the format is itself is 1280?
    It's Digital and Exposed: www.digital-exposure.com

Yo Vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/visualbrother
    the videoplayground.

8. Collapse Details
    The NTSC HVX200 shoots in 1080 i/p with 1280*1080 with chroma 640*1080

The PAL HVX200 shoots in 1080 i/p with 1440*1080 with chroma 720*1080

HDCAM is 1440*1080 with chroma 480*1080

The reason why DVCPROHD in "PAL" can shoot at higher is because it goes no futher than 25P/50i where HDCAM shoots all the way to 60i/30P

140/30 = 4,666
    100/25 = 4
    100/30 = 3,333

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234