Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Procedure for uprezzing 4x3 letterbox to 16x9
    EDIT: I can no longer support this thread because the number of PMs and emails has become overwhelming. What I have documented here is the extent of my knowledge on the subject. If you cannot figure something out I would suggest you post your question here and others, who maybe more qualified or familiar with their particular brand of NLE, will help you out.

Here it is.

Using the program Photozoom Pro, you can uprez your 4x3 letterbox footage to high quality anamorphic 16x9 footage. If you do not own this program, a demo version is available at the following URL: http://www.trulyphotomagic.com/short...page=downloads Make sure you download the pro version.

NOTE: This procedure is optmized for footage shot using the letterbox mode using f5 or f6. Footage uprezzed originating in Squeeze mode or with the anamorphic lens will not be as dramatic. Final footage is intended for a widescreen project. I have only tested this using Adobe Premiere 1.5 so the slant in this tutorial is towards that program. I have no knowledge of the capabilities of other programs regarding this procedure and I encourage you to post in this thread if there is something that has not been addressed.

Here are the steps:

Step One:
    Export your letterbox footage from your 4x3 timeline as TIFF frames.

Step Two:
    Launch Photozoom Pro and click on New Batch. At the bottom of the screen choose either Add Images or Add Folder. Import the frames you just exported from your NLE. (I believe there is a limit of 1170 frames per batch so you may need to do multiple batches). EDIT: I have since imported more than 1800 images without a problem....so not sure what the limit is.

Settings are the following:

New Size for letterboxed footage: 720 x 640 (use 720x618 if you want to keep the entire letterbox frame, even though it will be slightly out of aspect ratio)

or

New Size for already cropped footage (meaning footage shot in squeeze mode, with the anamorphic lens, or cropped from letterbox mode using another program): 720 x 480

Make sure*Maintain Aspect Ratio is deselected before you enter the dimensions.

Leave the resize method as S-Spline and settings as Generic (You can play with the settings and experiment for yourself later as you desire)

Step Three:
    Click Run.

Click Browse and choose a folder to dump the new images into. (It's best to create a new folder on your hard drive for the uprezzed images for simplicity sake.)

Output format should be set to TIFF

Leave the rest at the default

Step Four:
    Click Start Batch

Step Five:
    When the batch processing is finished, import the newly created TIFFs into a 16x9 project in your NLE as a sequence so that a movie file is created.

Step Six:
    Interpret your footage as "widescreen 16:9", then place on your timeline, render and you are done.

Here's an example of the before and after footage. I have added a scope letterbox to the uprezzed version to make it easily distinguishable. The difference is much more remarkable on a TV screen, obviously.

http://www.pinelakefilms.com/photozoom.html

Let me know if any of this is unclear...
    Last edited by disjecta; 02-16-2006 at 11:48 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Procedure for uprezzing 4x3 letterbox to 16x9
    Does the magic work only with the progressive footage (with completely separate frames) or the interlaced footage as well?

just wondering ???
    Aejaz

3. Collapse Details
    Not sure but you are welcome to try it. I've spent all the time I have on the progressive ;)

4. Collapse Details
    Great find Disjecta...congratulations and thank you for showing us a new way to use our cams 'competitively', specially amidst the talk of the HD cams and the specualtions of 'sd cams having been rendered outdated'.

Aejaz

5. Collapse Details
    I've been following both of these threads. Awesome.

I'm a little confused, though. You said:

"New Size for letterboxed footage: 720 x 640 (use 720x618 if you want to keep the entire letterbox frame, even though it will be slightly out of aspect ratio)

for already cropped footage: 720 x 480"

So, if you've letterboxed "in camera", to get an anamorphic squeezed frame out of PhotoZoom Pro, you set the size to 720 X 640?

Also, when you say "for already cropped footage: 720 X 480", what do you mean by "already cropped footage? Isn't in-camera letterbox already cropped footage? I don't understand the difference between the two.

Thanks!

6. Collapse Details
    It's the difference between squeeze mode and letterbox mode on the camera.

Letterbox mode gives you a full 4x3 frame with masks on the top and bottom to represent the widescreen image but you are still working with a full 4x3 size...

Squeeze mode creates an anamorphic image that has the top and bottom portion already cut off so it is, in effect, "cropped".

Does that make sense?

7. Collapse Details
    [quote author=disjecta link=board=Events;num=1097870435;start=0#0 date=10/15/04 at 13:00:35]Import the frames you just exported from your NLE. (I believe there is a limit of 1170 frames per batch so you may need to do multiple batches).[/quote]

Hmm, 1170 frames equates to just over 48 seconds of footage at 24fps. I wonder if there is a way to batch a batch? Otherwise, converting in 48 second chunks would be cumbersome.
    .:. N o r C a l F i l m s .:.

.:. http://www.NorCalFilms.com/ .:.

8. Collapse Details
    Look, nobody is saying this is perfect but you are getting more than you could hope for so the level of compromise you are willing to make is really up to you. I'm sure there's some programmer out there capable of writing a macro that could do multiple batches...

I am ecstatic with these results and what I can achieve with the camera now. There are a lot of limitations lifted for me personally so I consider this a monumental achievement *

9. Collapse Details
    I know that it is not as good as using the anamorphic lens but how does the footage look on a 4:3 TV and then on a widescreen tv....Is it anamorphic and does it not look all stretched out....

10. Collapse Details
    It works exactly the same way as footage you would get from the anamorphic lens. It will look vertically stretched on a 4x3 TV and will be the correct ratio on a widescreen TV.

When you burn it on a 16x9 DVD, it will display correctly on your 4x3 with a letterbox mask and on will fill the screen of a 16x9 TV...

I have tested it on both and the letterboxed image on a 4x3 TV is stunningly clear. Aside from that, all of my tests were done with a widescreen plasma TV and it also looked great on that.

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast