Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    We are cheating for IBC...
    OK. We are going to cheat at IBC. I said it in public. We will, unless a major castastrophy happens, show 4k footage at IBC. But it really won't be 4K. We will cheat. It is really 5K scaled down to 4K. We have a true sensor size of 4900x2580. So actually we will have to scale it down to 4K for presentation. This is news we wanted to keep secret but I couldn't sleep at night. Now I feel free.

Please remember that we will have had only one month to get the full images up off the sensor, characterize the sensor, color correct the sensor, shoot, compile, and edit. Then package for a 4K projector we have never seen.

I hope everyone will forgive us...

BTW, when the camera ships, the largest size available to shoot is 4520x2540.

Jim

2. Collapse Details
    Awesome news!!!

3. Collapse Details
    I Knew From The Beginning That All That Red Thing Was A Fake, I Knew It!

4. Collapse Details
    Did somebody order extra sensor by mistake? 4900? My brain can not handle that much. I need an upgrade.

5. Collapse Details
    4900? The sensor just got bigger?!!

I remember reading a quote from RED a while back about the sensor design allowing you to see outside the frame. Maybe that's the reason for the extra size?

By the time it ships it will probably have a 14900x12580 sensor with depth channel mapping, the ability to see through walls and back in time by up to fifteen years (thirty years in windowed mode).
    RED ONE #362
    RED ZOOM #267

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneIsNumber1
    By the time it ships it will probably have a 14900x12580 sensor with depth channel mapping, the ability to see through walls and back in time by up to fifteen years (thirty years in windowed mode).
    Nah, they are surely holding that technology back so they can sell the "upgrades" in a few years! Stupid camera companies, always limiting us...

;-)

7. Collapse Details
    With an oversize sensor, might it be possible to have built-in image stabilization? Jim?
    "My subject matter always is and was just looking at people the way they are." - Mike Leigh

8. Collapse Details
    (jaw dropping) holy smokes!!

9. Collapse Details
    Most sensors use the outer edge to gather important information about white balance and other imaging charachteristics. At least in DSLRs which seem to be analogous to alot of Red's core design pricipals. Although digital capture, being a first generation lossless system seems to handle up-rezing much better than scaned film does. So I would not be surprised if, like 1080P being up-rzed to 4k for Star Wars's Imax releases, Red's 4k couldn't be used with spectacuar results when up converted as well.
    Last edited by evinsky; 08-09-2006 at 11:41 PM.
    Always beg forgiveness, not permission! http://www.evingrant.com http://www.evingrantdp.com http://www.evingrantphoto.com
    RED #199
    HVX #69

10. Collapse Details
    Jim, you're a madman! I love it! haha.
    IN RED I TRUST. #194
    -------RED ZOOM #9-------

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast