Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    To address the original question: oh yes there is most certainly a difference between different UV filters. You don't want to go sticking some cheap piece of coke-bottle glass in front of your lens; what's the point of buying a high-def camera if you're going to force it to look through some uncoated slab of cheap glass?

If you're going to put a UV filter in front of your lens, get the very, very, very, very best UV filter you can afford. EVERY SINGLE FRAME of video that you shoot from that moment on will be affected by that filter. You want a multi-coated filter for high light transmission and reduced reflection/glare. I went with a B+W 82mm MRC, cost something like $130 at B&H. If I could find a better one I'd probably get it.

B+W is the circular screw-in name for Schneider Optics; so Schneider and B+W filters are made by the same company. Heliopan is also a good brand. Hoya and Tiffen, at least in screw-in, are not as good from my experience.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm ponying up for the Formatt Hi Def UV and Polarizer filters.

3. Collapse Details
    which polarizer for HVX?
    I am trying to find out, whether I need a circular or a linear polfiter for use with my HVX 200. I even asked tiffen and they immediately answered:

"Usually the Circular type is used with HD cameras having a video assist in them. Check your owners manual or the manufacturer for that information. Otherwise, I would recommend the Ultrpol Linear."

The mentioned manual doesn't help because I don't know what a video assist might be (video assist in a video camera sounds like a pleonasm to me).
    So, does anyone know, if the HVX needs an (expensive) circular polarizer, i.e. it has a 'video assist' or if a linear polfilter is just as fine? Any experiences?

4. Collapse Details
    If you are going to use auto focus at all with it, you need a circular. If you're totally manual focus while using it then get the linear.
    A linear will mess with the auto focus of a camera whether it's a still camera or video.

The circular is made so that it will not affect auto focus systems.
    --==Kevin==--
    Kevin J Railsback
    Silver Phoenix,LLC
    Filmmaking Naturally

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks n8ture, that is very helpful.
    I can't imagine using auto focus together with the polarizer, but just in case: does the circular have any disadvantages besides being more expensive?
    I think I will get me a linear anyway, but I am curious...

6. Collapse Details
    Can I ask which filters you are looking at, I am in the market as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Maybe I am missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by n8ture
    If you are going to use auto focus at all with it, you need a circular. If you're totally manual focus while using it then get the linear.
    A linear will mess with the auto focus of a camera whether it's a still camera or video.

The circular is made so that it will not affect auto focus systems.
    Hey there n8ture!

I couldn't get an 82mm circular polarize anywhere in PDX. Now I have never questioned the old wisdom of circular vs linear. But I was at one shop that happened to have an 82mm tiffen linear.

Well I tried it out, and it did not affect the autofocus on my HVX in the slightest, or anything else for that matter and worked great. Still unsure they had a Cokin P circular polarizer there and holding it up to the lens I found no performace difference.

So I got the linear for only $40.00 and have been a happy beaver ever since. But still I wonder what gives, because while I was happy to experiment, it did go against the circular/autofocus reasoning.

BTW, I love the images on your site!!!!!
    Travis Cooper
    Beaver Hill Productions
    Coquille, Oregon USA

http://beaverhill.tv

8. Collapse Details
    The HVX works with either. Linears do not affect autofocus as they do with most still camera lenses. You're only spending more money than necessary by buying a circular polarizer (unless you plan on using the same filter with a still camera.)

9. Collapse Details
    Member With Answers
    I got a Hoya SMC Pro 1 82mm CP from The Filter Connection earlier this week, but haven't even tried it yet. I don't expect any problems though.

It's on their website, but a special-order item they don't usually stock. It took them about a week to get it.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cbdv
    Can I ask which filters you are looking at, I am in the market as well.
    I want some 4x4 Filters and it seems the tiffen wht/wtr ultrapol linear is what I am looking for as a polarizer. I heard Schneider is the best quality, but I will probably not see any difference myself.

Linears do not affect autofocus as they do with most still camera lenses. You're only spending more money than necessary by buying a circular polarizer
    If circular polarizers only make sense on still cameras, why are 4x4 circular polarizers being produced? Those square filters are for film cameras and not for still cameras, are they not?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast