Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by D_and_G
    So your shooting stuff to spark a story ? That's a cool approach, that i haven't done before.
    I always enjoy your kind comments--thanks. Yup, that's the way I do everything. Shoot first--write later. It's the only way I get to thinking cinematically.

And how do you know it wasn't scary if you don't have the story yet?
    Good point. I didn't. But I saw myself falling into some genre cliches that I was really hoping to avoid. So I stopped, trashed everything, and rethought the whole thing.

Also, shoot whatever it is that you're passionate about. Don't worry about whether it's more thriller than horror, or whatever, IMHO. Trust your instincts. Look forward to your submission (as always). Are you thinking of doing any BTS stuff for your own DVD?
    Yes! I think I've FINALLY given myself "permission" to do just that! And now that I've done that (and am doing 'that'--shooting what I feel passionately about), it's all kind of coming together now--naturally and unforced. Thanks so much for that thoughtful comment. I really feel like I'm on a better track now with this project. I am excited about making films again--and that's a very good thing. And yes, I definitely plan to shoot some BTS footage of the more interesting set-ups!
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

2. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Nice Grabs Dude, and your marketing materials are super clean ...
    though I prefer the sans serif font you were using in your banner.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

3. Collapse Details
    This stuff looks great! Hope to see more soon...

4. Collapse Details
    REZ

Banner's are great! very clean, very pro... looking forward to seeing some work with the DSR450... Your lead is HOT...solid stuff looking forward to the film!

Trey.

5. Collapse Details
    Best of luck with your project : )Can't wait to see more!
    No sigs bigger than 569 Wide and X 70 High please.

6. Collapse Details
    looks good so far... congratulations and best of luck on your project...

7. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    updates sir?
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

8. Collapse Details
    Funny you should ask, Jack . . . [thanks for the kind comments, guys]

PRE-PRODUCTION UPDATE: 16 AUGUST 2006:

• Lead actress is on vacation.
    • Script (what little of it there is--okay, it's still just an "idea.") needs a key set piece which apparently is unattainable unless you're a goddamned movie studio or something.
    • Deadline is scaring the pee outta me right now, since, I basically still have NOTHING.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

9. Collapse Details
    A small technical update on some tests . . .

DSR450 FOOTAGE vs. DVX100 FOOTAGE

Well, I intercut some DSR450 and DVX100 footage (DVX100 footage was blown-up in post to fill the 16:9 aspect ratio of the native DSR450 widescreen footage), and my trusty little ole' DVX held up pretty damned good! I may intercut way more DVX footage into this thing than I had originally planned! Perhaps, even enough to qualify for voting and prizes!

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be THAT easy to tell the difference, and if I actually do finish a film for this fest, it'll be interesting who can pick out the DSR- vs. DVX-acquired footage. Sorry, can't post any grabs, because that would give too much away.

10. Collapse Details
    Getting down to the wire. . .

09 SEPTEMBER UPDATE:

Well, I think I just recast my lead. Hot girl in banner lives too far away . . . maybe next contest. Met a stand-in on a TV show set today, and cast her on the spot (she agreed to do a bikini scene). Let you know if she shows up to the shoot I have planned for Sunday. I've cut about 40 seconds of set-up footage from stuff I've been shooting up until now with no actors, still with no script in hand. Only have that vague story idea I talked about before. Also bought some more props at Target today (at least that makes me feel like I'm doing SOMETHING). We'll see if I can pull it off soon enough.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast