Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I think there is a lot of great infor here, and agree with the person who said that making the film was the easy part, the art is certainly in the deal.

You often wonder why there is a lot of crap out there, it is because these guys know how to put deals together and find money

It's great to make short films and enter festivals, but when you do this as a business, there is a whole set of rules, and you realize that you are not totally in control.

I am about to start a second season of my series, and I am spending about 1 month of prep just dealing with legal and negotiating, and insurence. If you don't know about E&O and production insurance, then you'll be in for a surprise.
    Director/Producer
    www.digitalcrossing.ca
    www.4kafrica.com (UHD Africa stockfootage&Volcano stock footage)
    Epic, Scarlet, Canon 5d, Skyjib 8

2. Collapse Details
    Art Films
    What are some pointers for Art Films? I only make art films and I used to look for the AFM as a source of distribution, but now distribution has changed and I'm not sure how effective the AFM is for indie films.

If you have any experience with art films, I'd appreciate some advice as to what to do.

Thanks.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this, as we're trying to get our next project sold.
    Yeah I'm trying to get my movie sold as well. No luck as of yet!

Chris

4. Collapse Details
    What an important topic. Wealth of information. The info on deliverables alone put a lot into perspective. I'm in development on shooting my first feature and delieverables were last on my list. After reading the topic it will be a priority. Wish there were more resources on distribution. Awesome topic.

Indie Film Producer
    Film Funding Blog

5. Collapse Details
    indie filmmakers will never get a fair deal until they form their own indie distribution companies

http://www.releasing.net

6. Collapse Details
    I agree, but how do we do it? A few years ago, I started a site that I felt could move in that direction by picking the best two submissions each month as well as a short film compilation. At the end of the month they'd be archived to the catalog page, but for one month, they'd be on the landing page of the website. The problem is that I had almost no money to market the site. We did actually get quite a few submissions over time, but I honestly wouldn't even release them. For me, the point of the website was that these are indies nobody has heard of that are the cream of the crop and if you buy here, you're buying quality. Most of the films submitted were barely watchable. I feel like it was a good idea, but this was 2006, and self-distribution has moved a bit further along since then. Indieflix.com was barely around for a few months when we started up, and I felt their mistake was not aggregating the best of what's out there. Now I realize, it wasn't a mistake, it was a way of staying in business. Also, with my site, I really did want to give the filmmaker the best possible terms, so they were getting 50% of the gross sales, not net sales after we deducted the cost of making the DVD's, etc. It came out to a little over $6 per DVD sold, and $2 per DVD sold for the shorts, since it was split among three short films on the one DVD.

But no company created 'by indies, for indies' can survive unless we hit a certain quality level with what's being released, and it would also help if the first 10-20 releases were good, entertaining genre movies, either horror, sci-fi, or comedy. From what I hear about a lot of these horror films, it's that they might actually be very good, and these companies that seemingly release anything wind up rejecting them because they don't cater to the LCD for 90 minutes. So a few great horror films on a label created by people like us might be a good way to start. Also, I think that there's not enough combination of indie film with indie music. Many of these bands on myspace have a following of 9,000+ fans, and if you could leverage the fans of a few bands and cross-promote the films, you could see a healthy profit.

The bottom line is, it just won't happen until we get a few indies with entrenched guerilla and grass roots marketing that also happen to be good movies, who actually choose the new kid on the block as an experiment for releasing their film. I think most of the good films are still on the festival/find a distributor road and it would be hard to knock them off of it, even if it ends without a deal. That's what I was trying to do, position my website as a rebound place for films that just didn't make it, for whatever reason, but were still entertaining. There were about four films out of thirty that fell into that category. These days, I'm guessing there are a lot more.

I don't know, there's a way to do this, we just have to get a nice group together that is willing to forge ahead and owns the rights to a few good films.

7. Collapse Details
    Hey guys I have added a new thread about a twitter feed I am starting to update as I go through my second experience of indie film post production and quest for distribution. Feel free to follow and ask questions about the process as I go through it again.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=197758

8. Collapse Details
    Indie filmmakers don't trust anybody

9. Collapse Details
    Seems like it's easy to get distribution if you just hand it over to someone, but hard to actually make money back or break even.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You have to get money upfront, otherwise who knows if you'll ever see any more. A bunch of tiny foreign sales, a solid U.S. DVD deal, U.S. TV, etc., it adds up fast.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast