Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Why4009 View Post
    anyone having any luck with distibution? love to hear about it.
    We got distribution for The Return of Johnny V via Indican Pictures we sent a general inquiry for acquisition and mailed them a physical printed DVD Screener. In addition we sent them both a professional printed presskit and pdf version in our first email. There were no notable cast members and this was clearly an interest to the distribution company because it was a genre film. Action/Grindhouse. Overall I think the presentation caught their attention and the killer trailer. Also they already had a market they could exploit Grindhouse fans and Mexican-Americans. So they automatically knew they had an audience.

p.s. We were informed that the film would be promoted heavily at Comic Con which for a geek like me is pretty awesome.
    Last edited by El Gato Negro; 05-20-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Indie Film Producer
    Film Funding Blog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    So far this process has been quite uninspiring. All mostly due to the very very dirtied pool of information. On one hand you hear things from filmmakers first hand that conflict with each other, and then you've got the consultation bloggers that conflict with each other, and sometimes contradict themselves.

It's so hard to find information from more than one source that reflects another.

The only consistent things are the same ol' "get a name".

And I havent' even really started yet....
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

3. Collapse Details
    distribution is hard for no named actors films, but it's feasible, my sales rep Phil Gorn recently did a low budget action/martial arts film and it got distributed many places (obviously it's a bit bias since it's his own movie and he would sell it more than any others). I have produced 4 features, 1 was never finished, the other 3 was repped and only one got several distribution deal (the latest was UK). I had 3 of my short films repped and synidacated world wide... but short film is just that, short, only one that made me profit so far.

With features, it was a long process and it is still going, I just went back and look at the film and lol I hated the look of it (mind you, it was shot in 2005 and finished in 2007), so I am doing some minor color corrections (now that i have better computers) and going to take it to a friend to do upres conversion and pal conversion for UK, this way it would get more attention in the future with other vendors (we lost a lot of opportunities due to a lawsuit - please do not ever hire friends that don't deliver and yet sue the heck out of you and then wanting to settle out of court after piling up over $250k in attorney fees)... An expensive learning process.

Making movie is just one of the battle, getting it shown is another, then getting it sold is the 'hardest' part, not only you have to deal with different territories and deliveries, you have to make sure they will not reject your film due to 'some technical issue that they can't resolve' ... (even though they've watched the film before buying it).

Also, sign up with good sales agent that will sell, I have two sales rep that I go to, and both have been extremely good to help me get some sales and I can actually see some $ coming in.
    Just another filmmaker living in Midwest that has gone full time with a nice studio www.mdifilm.com
    oh... and winning a bunch of awards...

4. Collapse Details
    Yea, this is a tough issue. I finished my first feature when I was in college—this is 2010—got an agent in 2011 after a few festivals; he made a deal with Maverick Entertainment. The movie is called "Emulation," and it's now on Amazon. The difficulty is in getting the people who are "distributing" it, to take action. Most distributors are looking for a slam-dunk. You'll hear the excuse, "we're having a tough time because there are no stars in the film."

I'm starting to see that marketing involves a lot of creativity. Maybe even more than the film. Anyways—here is the trailer for "EMULATION." I made it for under $500.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvDy0ptChg

5. Collapse Details
    Distribution is a much harder road to travel than getting the movie made (hard to believe, but true). Theaters are all but impossible at this level, you are looking at DVD (now in the process of fading away). My target demographic, the faith based audience, primarily watches the disappearing DVD medium, not Blue Ray or VOD. If you do get DVD distribution (which we have done so far on all projects), there is the very distinct possibility that lots of stores will acquire your DVD, then it won't sell well, and many will be returned. If you've already been paid, or an advance has been made, you have a real problem. This is happening more often than not. I know of a recent situation where a half million dollars of a distributor's inventory were returned to the wholesalers by that big box retailer we all go to. You can imagine what this does to the bottom line.

Wish I had something more positive to say about the situation, but it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

6. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGetty88 View Post
    Yea, this is a tough issue. I finished my first feature when I was in college—this is 2010—got an agent in 2011 after a few festivals; he made a deal with Maverick Entertainment. The movie is called "Emulation," and it's now on Amazon. The difficulty is in getting the people who are "distributing" it, to take action. Most distributors are looking for a slam-dunk. You'll hear the excuse, "we're having a tough time because there are no stars in the film."

I'm starting to see that marketing involves a lot of creativity. Maybe even more than the film. Anyways—here is the trailer for "EMULATION." I made it for under $500.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvDy0ptChg
    Good trailer! I assume you mean you made the trailer for under $500, not the movie itself -- right?

Nice job!
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910