Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R
    Kholi - I don't know why you would be PM'd for negative comments....in my mind that is the whole point of this festival. I was anxiously awaiting the "negative comments", not because I like to hear negative things...but I knew it would be honest and fair.

Peace!
    You're a good man, Larry. It's good to see you had another goal outside of winning, which was to learn and get some feedback on how you could improve yourself.

I did get PM'd by some people after I left comments in a thread. Although I think I was abit on the harsh side (I think?), I was just being honest about what I had seen and it was my first time really commenting on something.

At the same time, I got the chance to watch the same short in it's lengthened format and it was a completely different movie. Going on to say as well that the creator now has a big project coming up this summer and is improving every time I see something that he's created. That's truth.

2. Collapse Details
    Hell yes, we are down for the "Horror fest"

Be very afraid.
    CLUTCH is good for what ails you

3. Collapse Details
    I wasn't disappointed by the films this time, but by the number of films... I know, I shouldn't be talking. I wasn't able to get one done either, but SO many people dropped out. Many more than sci-fest. I actually think the quality is VERY good overall. Many less HORRIBLE films than sci-fest.

And Kholi, I think there's a way to give negative critique. Its about being gracious with your opinion of someone's work and being able to give direction of HOW it could be better.

I think spidey's comment was out of line, but you did mention some films you did like. Look... I didn't like the film you did for sci-fest spidey. Does that mean I did not respect your talent, and think it was a darn fine effort? No. There is something to appreciate about someone who went and made a film (unlike myself) and that is something we can always be positive about.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film COMPROMISE now available to see!

4. Collapse Details
    well theres a few things I must say.

Before I had to stop a week before I had to shoot a feature I spent 1200 dollars on my short. I was pulling money I didn't have just so I could compete. CPU was shot with only 300 dollars, So I figure time money and effort times even more would be better but was halted. I was devistated.

I've critised harshly. I always do. I havent seen your yet larry. I'll give you feedback once I watch it. I enter this to compete and to show work. I assure I had everything ready I'm dying because I didnt get to enter. But you should enter each contest "in it to win it" mode; if not what are you showcasing?
    Director / Writer / Editor
    "We're like comparing paint by numbers to Picaso or Van Gogh..." - Jeremy Hyler
    http://www.youtube.com/user/spyderjch
    http://www.funnyordie.com/jeremyhyler
    www.filmlifefilms.com
    twitter: @jeremyhyler

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    well theres a few things I must say.

Before I had to stop a week before I had to shoot a feature I spent 1200 dollars on my short. I was pulling money I didn't have just so I could compete. CPU was shot with only 300 dollars, So I figure time money and effort times even more would be better but was halted. I was devistated.

I've critised harshly. I always do. I havent seen your yet larry. I'll give you feedback once I watch it. I enter this to compete and to show work. I assure I had everything ready I'm dying because I didnt get to enter. But you should enter each contest "in it to win it" mode; if not what are you showcasing?
    Seriously, though. If you aren't shooting for the stars, then why are you shooting?

I feel horrible, as well. I had 3k potentially invested into my hero-fest script, and it was ready to go. Then, got down to the weekend..and.. well.. arG. It's eating me up inside. I get your ail.

6. Collapse Details
    to be honest spidey all i see here is some one who is complaining without giving specific or usefull feedback, while you yourself did not enter, IMHO. Chanel that frustration and dissapointment into helping everybody else who is not worthy or not up to your standards. thats what this is all about, not hating...

alex
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

7. Collapse Details
    but I have gave comments to those I've seen. I havent got to all. but i been telling them how it is.
    Director / Writer / Editor
    "We're like comparing paint by numbers to Picaso or Van Gogh..." - Jeremy Hyler
    http://www.youtube.com/user/spyderjch
    http://www.funnyordie.com/jeremyhyler
    www.filmlifefilms.com
    twitter: @jeremyhyler

8. Collapse Details
    I totally agree, I entered with the goal of winning. I wanted to make the best film I possibly could. But I also am aware of my limitations/lack of experience and so had an ulterior motive of learning.

For me to get fair, honest feedback is as great as getting any prize I could win by having the best entry.

Sure, I want to win...everyone that enters wants to win. And that goal should drive us to the highest peak of our experience and talent....but baring that, if I don't win, then I want to know why. What did I do wrong? What was I missing? What would make it better? How could I improve this so next time I can win?

That's what I mean. I hope you do watch my film and I hope you enjoy it, but more than that I want to know, honestly and fairly, what didn't work in your mind and what could/should I have done differently.

Looking forward to your comments.

I also agree with briceman, there is a right way and a wrong way to share criticism. You can tell people the truth and what you honestly believe/feel without making them feel like they are idiots and losers. If I have zero talent, then tell me; but if I have even an inkling of talent showing through then treat me like there is the possibility of improving rather than making me feel like I am in the wrong "business".

Peace,
    Larry

9. Collapse Details
    i don't mind telling it how it really is or honesty. i just didn't like the way you came off sounding
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

10. Collapse Details
    Originally posted by LarryR
    It is great to hear people applaud you, but I don't think anyone here enters for that goal exclusively. This is supposed to be (at least I thought it was) a site dedicated to the exchange of knowledge and expertise...why can't that extend to the festivals?

Along with that, I think the "international quality" films you all refer to had larger than $400 budgets and more experienced cast/crew and more than 3 months from concept to release.

Kholi - I don't know why you would be PM'd for negative comments....in my mind that is the whole point of this festival. I was anxiously awaiting the "negative comments", not because I like to hear negative things...but I knew it would be honest and fair.

Please understand, I'm not upset at the comments and ideas suggested in this thread. And I am in no way feeling defensive because my film was not one of the favorites. I just want to make sure everyone remembers this is supposed to be a place to grow and to help others grow.
    I agree Larry. That's why I said that those international films are in a different league ( budget, professional crew, SAG actors, time). And hence my surprise, if we did get to that point. Yet, it is the gold standard for many.

Maybe, this thread shows that there are competing agendas in these fests, which is not necessarily a bad thing . For many it's an opportunity to learn and grow, and for others they are wanting to produce festival worthy films, which requires a higher level of both skill and critique. I can see where both sides have valid points. Personally i find it gratifying to see artists improve, and I want to be totally constructive. But on the other hand, I have a different front that I'd like to judge/help get the participants to - festival worthy. It's a conundrum, for me.

Sort of like Kholi, I don't want to get into arguing over the quality of a film with the filmmakers. I try and be as positive and constructive as can be, where i feel I can help, but sometimes that's too much, I guess.

Either way, I applaud all those who shot something...good bad...sucked...rocked...rolled...and I don't care if that's pussy footing.

This community is a unique place. Like i said, rising tide. that's what I'd like to see. So in these fests, one day, we're arguing over whether it's good enough for Cannes, or just Palm Springs
    Last edited by D_and_G; 06-11-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast