Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Jarred,

I have a question regarding the voting. SFX is in a "blue" column. This would seem to tell me, as it did on SciFest that you can rate them for SFX but it isn't required. In the score tally, however, the total score is divided by 7, therefore including SFX. I'd hate to have to give a movie a high SFX score if it doesn't deserve it just to make sure it finishes where it belongs overall. All the other categories are essential, I'm just concerned about the SFX being counted on all movies, and not optional. Perhaps average it in where it's used but not where it does not apply.

Just wondering.

2. Collapse Details
    All columns count, the blue col isnt to be ignored, its blue this time as its one of the more important columns as you probaly have seen from the films.

Sorry for the confusion.

3. Collapse Details
    Jarred, any word yet on how long the voting polls will be open?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R
    Jarred, any word yet on how long the voting polls will be open?
    Ditto, I would like to make a page for my movie, but will wait until voting ends.

5. Collapse Details
    cool cool...time to vote...oh jeez this gonna take me a while.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    All columns count, the blue col isnt to be ignored, its blue this time as its one of the more important columns as you probaly have seen from the films.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Jarred,

Doesn't counting VFX this time around put non VFX centric films at a disadvantage? There was no requirement for VFX in the contest rules. The way VFX was handled during Sci-Fest, IMO, worked pretty well i.e., bumping Cinematography or Lighting to reward VFX.

"Lot 6a" -- Official 2009 DVXuser Monsterfest Entry

(click on picture for official thread)

Monster Fest 2009 :: Lot 6a on Facebook :: Lot 6a on Twitter

--

Hell Froze Over - Original Web Series shot with DVX100A and HV20

7. Collapse Details
    Or we expand VFX to include everything visual that had to be artificially constructed, including costuming, props, etc. That is, old-fashioned practical effects.

8. Collapse Details
    I like that idea.

9. Collapse Details
    Seņor Schmarty Pants Alex DePew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Patrick
    Jarred,

Doesn't counting VFX this time around put non VFX centric films at a disadvantage? There was no requirement for VFX in the contest rules. The way VFX was handled during Sci-Fest, IMO, worked pretty well i.e., bumping Cinematography or Lighting to reward VFX.
    I completely agree. This is a filmmaking contest not a visual effects challenge. This site is geared towards telling stories using a dvx. How does making VFX an important and neccesary category make sense. If this were CGtalk.com I would completely understand. Why not have a column for best fight scene and penalize anyone who didn't have one (just making a point). Jarred, so how do you propose people vote on the films that have limited or no VFX? Give them a 1 or a 2? That doesn't seem rational or fair. I liked Jack's idea in a previous thread that you take the average of the other columns and place it into that column.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex DePew
    I completely agree. This is a filmmaking contest not a visual effects challenge. This site is geared towards telling stories using a dvx. How does making VFX an important and neccesary category make sense. If this were CGtalk.com I would completely understand. Why not have a column for best fight scene and penalize anyone who didn't have one (just making a point). Jarred, so how do you propose people vote on the films that have limited or no VFX? Give them a 1 or a 2? That doesn't seem rational or fair. I liked Jack's idea in a previous thread that you take the average of the other columns and place it into that column.
    I definitely agree. Some films were very good but will have lowered scores based on the SFX vote, simply because they were not fx based. I think this should be as the last competition and SFX should be weighed seperately.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast