Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 185
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Mr. Hollywood Blaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,959
    Default
    Jarred,

    I have a question regarding the voting. SFX is in a "blue" column. This would seem to tell me, as it did on SciFest that you can rate them for SFX but it isn't required. In the score tally, however, the total score is divided by 7, therefore including SFX. I'd hate to have to give a movie a high SFX score if it doesn't deserve it just to make sure it finishes where it belongs overall. All the other categories are essential, I'm just concerned about the SFX being counted on all movies, and not optional. Perhaps average it in where it's used but not where it does not apply.

    Just wondering.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    President/Founder Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1975
    Location
    California
    Posts
    87,437
    Default
    All columns count, the blue col isnt to be ignored, its blue this time as its one of the more important columns as you probaly have seen from the films.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    .


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Fest Master Larry Rutledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,483
    Default
    Jarred, any word yet on how long the voting polls will be open?


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member Matt Sconce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oakhurst, California
    Posts
    4,133
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R
    Jarred, any word yet on how long the voting polls will be open?
    Ditto, I would like to make a page for my movie, but will wait until voting ends.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member slinks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    596
    Default
    cool cool...time to vote...oh jeez this gonna take me a while.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member Shaun Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    629
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    All columns count, the blue col isnt to be ignored, its blue this time as its one of the more important columns as you probaly have seen from the films.

    Sorry for the confusion.
    Jarred,

    Doesn't counting VFX this time around put non VFX centric films at a disadvantage? There was no requirement for VFX in the contest rules. The way VFX was handled during Sci-Fest, IMO, worked pretty well i.e., bumping Cinematography or Lighting to reward VFX.

    "Lot 6a" -- Official 2009 DVXuser Monsterfest Entry

    (click on picture for official thread)

    Monster Fest 2009 :: Lot 6a on Facebook :: Lot 6a on Twitter

    --

    Hell Froze Over - Original Web Series shot with DVX100A and HV20


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Senior Member WilderWorks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Burbank, California
    Posts
    195
    Default
    Or we expand VFX to include everything visual that had to be artificially constructed, including costuming, props, etc. That is, old-fashioned practical effects.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    126
    Default
    I like that idea.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Seņor Schmarty Pants Alex DePew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    903
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Patrick
    Jarred,

    Doesn't counting VFX this time around put non VFX centric films at a disadvantage? There was no requirement for VFX in the contest rules. The way VFX was handled during Sci-Fest, IMO, worked pretty well i.e., bumping Cinematography or Lighting to reward VFX.
    I completely agree. This is a filmmaking contest not a visual effects challenge. This site is geared towards telling stories using a dvx. How does making VFX an important and neccesary category make sense. If this were CGtalk.com I would completely understand. Why not have a column for best fight scene and penalize anyone who didn't have one (just making a point). Jarred, so how do you propose people vote on the films that have limited or no VFX? Give them a 1 or a 2? That doesn't seem rational or fair. I liked Jack's idea in a previous thread that you take the average of the other columns and place it into that column.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member Matt Sconce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oakhurst, California
    Posts
    4,133
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex DePew
    I completely agree. This is a filmmaking contest not a visual effects challenge. This site is geared towards telling stories using a dvx. How does making VFX an important and neccesary category make sense. If this were CGtalk.com I would completely understand. Why not have a column for best fight scene and penalize anyone who didn't have one (just making a point). Jarred, so how do you propose people vote on the films that have limited or no VFX? Give them a 1 or a 2? That doesn't seem rational or fair. I liked Jack's idea in a previous thread that you take the average of the other columns and place it into that column.
    I definitely agree. Some films were very good but will have lowered scores based on the SFX vote, simply because they were not fx based. I think this should be as the last competition and SFX should be weighed seperately.


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •