Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Welp, same with before, don't want to repeat, but here it goes.

My Thoughts:

overall, i really really enjoyed it. The pacing for the waking/office scene was effective. I liked the dolly shots.
    The ninja plaque made me laugh. Nice touch.
    The 'glass/bandanna' case in the drawer actually made me think of the scene in "The Brief Case" from the sci fest. Didn't know if it was alive or not.
    The boss's dialog, "Come in here" was dominated by the score. (tone that down a wee bit?
    Score.. First part friggin' amazing. Very, very effective. I even dug the techno elments in the fight. I wish the composer would have blended the two together and really brought that out.
    The knife on the tree/cut VO was one of my fav parts of the film.
    Acting. I really enjoyed the 9-5's performance. Is he a karate guy for real? I think if you sped up the fighting it would have been a bit more belieavable. Seemed 'thought out' and planned. Amazing none the less. bravo there.
    The kid and forest fires. Meh. That could have been something else. Cliched and you knew what the 9-5 was about to say.
    I dug the final hit into the camera. That made my laugh.
    Lighting was great. Smoke effects.. I think i used the same smoke effect in mine (me thinks its the same digital footage?)(@3:21?)
    The scotish guy? Ok.. Yes. I bout peed my pants... FREEEEDOM!
    Audio, I dug. I think the compression could have been a bit better but we are limited on that.

Cheers! I enjoyed it!
    /j
    Last edited by Edgen; 06-05-2006 at 11:49 PM.

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

2. Collapse Details
    first half is pretty bad, but the second half is amazing. Really hilarious and cool at the same time. The part in the office with the boss just doesn't add anything positive...but at least you make up for it with the wind blowing out the lighter at the end...soooooo great!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickTempleton
    first half is pretty bad, but the second half is amazing.
    It is funny where people's viewing likes and dislikes differ. I loved the first part of the film for things the DP and Director of a film loves (the dolly shots, framing, subtle stuff) It is nice to see other opinions and it helps me learn what to do differently in the future. Is there anything in particular you didn't like in that first part?

Quote Originally Posted by DerrickTempleton
    The part in the office with the boss just doesn't add anything positive...but at least you make up for it with the wind blowing out the lighter at the end...soooooo great!
    I am glad you liked that part of the film. It is one of my favorites as well. That actor is a junior high schooler. He had just gone through a loss in his family so we had him come onto the project, so he could have time to do something fun and get away from the sadness for a while. He also was a great little actor. He loved it and is always talking about how much fun it was. Thank you for your comments and critiques.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgen
    Welp, same with before, don't want to repeat, but here it goes.

My Thoughts:

overall, i really really enjoyed it. The pacing for the waking/office scene was effective. I liked the dolly shots.
    Thank you. I wanted to keep it interesting but build to the knife throw. Wait until the BTS. The dolly shot is a funny story...

The boss's dialog, "Come in here" was dominated by the score. (tone that down a wee bit?
    Yeah, I see what you are saying. I played with the levels for that moment, but always came back to my final settings. Maybe, it is my speakers, but I always felt it was too loud when the music was quieter. It is probably because I knew that line was coming.

The knife on the tree/cut VO was one of my fav parts of the film.
    Thanks! This is one of my favorite shots as well. The Kanji on the knife says Seieido "Way of the Elite"

Acting. I really enjoyed the 9-5's performance. Is he a karate guy for real? I think if you sped up the fighting it would have been a bit more belieavable. Seemed 'thought out' and planned. Amazing none the less. bravo there.
    He is an actor who graciously agreed to do our film for free. He is a grandmaster in Seieido... here is his website (www.masterjohnson.com), he is also a master in Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Shotokan Karate. He is also over 50 years old, and in great shape. I think he rocks!

The kid and forest fires. Meh. That could have been something else. Cliched and you knew what the 9-5 was about to say.
    It seems people are split on this. Some people think it is the funniest thing ever and others think we should have left it out. I personally chuckle when I see it...the master saves scotsman from ninjas and helps preserve the forest..hehe

I dug the final hit into the camera. That made my laugh.
    Mission accomplished! hehe. I am glad you liked it.

The scotish guy? Ok.. Yes. I bout peed my pants... FREEEEDOM!
    That was great...We planned and changed our minds for a long time on who the ninjas would be attacking. The Scottish guy won out. He is a bonified Scott and provided all his own costuming.

Thank you for your in depth comments and critiques. This helps me so much. I look forward to the others that I will receive to help me make better films in the future.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by msconce

Thank you for your in depth comments and critiques. This helps me so much. I look forward to the others that I will receive to help me make better films in the future.
    You are most welcome! Everyone's provided some really great feedback on these shorts.

now that you say that the 9-5 was out saving Scots and preventing forest fires, it makes it that much funnier. 50 years old??! Dang! ya, I couldn't tell if that was a gut or if he's actually that beefed up. I'll have to check out his site and shoot him a congrats email.

cheers and looking forward to seeing your next.
    /j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

6. Collapse Details
    What can I add?

Everyone's covered pretty much what I would say.

Excellent coverage and composition.
    Great lighting.
    Sound, well, you know about the boss' line so we'll leave it at that.
    The music rocked but I'm wondering if some "Eastern" influence couldn't have been added to the fight mix?
    The acting was great...."FREEEDOM!!!" LOL!!!!

Yeah. That last punch into the screen was the only way to end it, IMO.

But is it Hero or....Kung Fu?

I think that might be the only place you might lose points with me.

But that's just me. Perhaps ONLY me.

Regardless. That was one great short.

Well done.

sincerely,

ian
    My Equipment?

DVX100b x2
    Manfrotto 028 Tripod x2
    Manfrotto 501 Head x2
    Manfrotto 558b Monopod
    Varizoom VZROCK PZFI Zoom x2
    GH1 w' kit lens
    rainbowimaging Canon FD to m4/3 adapter
    Canon FD lenses, 50mm 1.4; 28mm 2.8, 135mm 2.8, 35mm 3.5(doh!)
    Fader ND
    Cokin P-series holder
    NO Cokin ND filters heh

7. Collapse Details
    thought it was very well shoty especially the first half. good angles and shot that complimented the story. also liked the music in the first half.

the second half feels a bit more messy to me but still good. smoke looked cool and shots were really nice and crisp.

overall very good job

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
    But is it Hero or....Kung Fu?

I think that might be the only place you might lose points with me.

But that's just me. Perhaps ONLY me.

Regardless. That was one great short.

Well done.

sincerely,

ian
    Man is getting attacked......man gets saved by Nine to Five Ninja.....Nine to Five Ninja=HERO....

I hope that helps. I believe he is a hero and what he does is quite super with his bandana of power and all.

9. Collapse Details
    What can I add?

Everyone's covered pretty much what I would say.

Excellent coverage and composition.
    Great lighting.
    The music rocked but I'm wondering if some "Eastern" influence couldn't have been added to the fight mix?
    I am glad you liked the lighting, composition, etc. Yeah, I think the eastern influence would have helped add a dimension the film was lacking, but I am happy with the music. If I would redo it, that is definitely something i would change.Thanks for the helpful feedback!

The acting was great...."FREEEDOM!!!" LOL!!!! ?
    haha! I laugh at that everytime. Definitely one of my favorite moments in the film. That is what comes about when you sit with your co-director for hours at Wienerschnitzel coming up with your dialogue. Chili dogs+long hours=strange things.

10. Collapse Details
    I really dug this one. It had a great 80's Dolph Lundgren/Steven Seagal direct-to-video action movie look/feel to it--I mean that as a very high compliment. Great job!

"Lot 6a" -- Official 2009 DVXuser Monsterfest Entry

(click on picture for official thread)

Monster Fest 2009 :: Lot 6a on Facebook :: Lot 6a on Twitter

--

Hell Froze Over - Original Web Series shot with DVX100A and HV20

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast