Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmcneese2
    Miata, you do need to watch this again...this is one of the most entertaining movies in the fest. Have you ever seen 'A Clockwork Orange'? Where they pin the guy's eyes open...I'm gonna do that to you until you agree that I have good taste in short film.

BTW, people keep mentioning color, but I'm telling you people that the color pops because of proper lighting and iris management. Can we get some insight on what/if any CC was done?
    Thanks mjmcneese,
    I used Final cut pro for the color correction, but most of the colors are intentional. I chose everything in every scene to make it pop, ex. I't took me 3hours to set up, art direct and light the livingroom scene and it was only in the shot for about 10 seconds. I painted everything so the only colors were pink and green exept for the subject (TOM) and some blue flowers on the right side of the frame. So it takes a lot of time and consideration to make colors like that, nothing is in the background accidently.
    thanks again.
    joey

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Great camera work in the beginning part of the film. The lighting, colors, shot-choice, etc., were really nice.
    The actors were great.

I think it's very solid until the ending. The secret lair bit needs some work in terms of shot choice and lighting--it becomes far less dynamic than the beginning had been.

You could have also done with a little more work on the script. The story seems to be about the weirdness and homogeny of small town-life, but that idea is dropped pretty quickly once we get to the lair. I'd suggest using that theme to infom the ending. It'll make for a tighter movie.
    What about the lighting and shot choices didn't you like?
    I don't know that the story is about the wierdness of small town life as much as it is about superheros trying to seem like normal individuals and not quite pulling it off. Thank you for the comments Jason! keep 'em comin.
    joey

3. Collapse Details
    I really dug the film Conrad! The first half of the film is pitch perfect. The acting/premise during the first half really reminds me of Kids in the Hall in their prime. Simply put, the first half is hilarious.

Also, kudos, on the lighting and cinematography. Some really good looking stuff here and amongst the best in the contest.

The second half, though, left me wanting more. The premise (superheroes trying to seem like normal individuals in the neighborhood) just seemed to lose a lot of steam and punch when we were transported into their actual world. It would have been interesting to see the battle/confrontation between the superheroes/villain (with them still trying to act 'normally') play out in the neighborhood setting rather than in the villain's secret lair.

My two cents. Great job.

"Lot 6a" -- Official 2009 DVXuser Monsterfest Entry

(click on picture for official thread)

Monster Fest 2009 :: Lot 6a on Facebook :: Lot 6a on Twitter

--

Hell Froze Over - Original Web Series shot with DVX100A and HV20

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgen

"American action sQuad.. AssemblE!! "
    Was Great!

My Thoughts:
    Over the top, quirky, great acting.
    Sound was great for the most of the movie. Did you ADR or was it the original?
    Only sound I didn't like was the BBQ outside.
    The FX work here was great with the fire.
    When the realtor hands him the keys the expression on the main guys' face is friggin' hilarious! It set itself up to be a quirky movie right off the bat. Like a really bad commercial in happyville or something.
    I think some of the scenes were perhaps a little over exposed? but, it was consistent.
    I think the film paced well and the acting was entertaining enough to keep my attention.
    I agree about the end reveal. I would have liked to see his face first. I wasn't quite sure if that was actually him or not. Instead he comes in looking right at the ground. Not really an establishing angle that we've been used to. You don't really see it until he cocks his head and walks off camera. I would have liked to see that earlier to establish that was him.
    I think if the entire sidewalk was filled with for sale signs that would have REALLY made the movie great and just really hammers home in that the neighborhood is indeed... funct.

Great short, great comedy. I had fun watching it.

/j

The sound was all adr.
    What didn't you like about the bbq sound?
    I overexposed on purpose to get a really sunny feel to the piece. Is it out of taste?
    thanks for the comments.
    joey

5. Collapse Details
    I haven't read most of the comments yet, so I may repeat things that have already been said...that said, here's my review

This such a fun piece...I really enjoyed it. The over-the-top, quirky acting was hilarious.

I loved the overall image quality, that HVX is everything I hoped it would be. But I would liked to have seen some work done with the overall color of the film. It seemed like there was no color-correction done.

The audio sounded pretty good, except when the realtor hands over the keys...it was a little muffled or quiet there. Would like to hear that brought up. Would also like to hear more neighborhood ambience (sprinklers, ice cream truck, kids laughing, bicycles riding by, that kind of stuff); I remember hearing nature elements (birds in particular) but I think the others might help sell the location more.

The costumes were equally over-the-top and funny...I loved every one of them.

The effect of the fire from the finger starting the grill was really good...looked very seamless.

I liked the score as well...it sounded more like background music from a tv show than a film and I think that fit this piece very well.

"American Action Squad....Assemble" brilliant, I loved that line! It so reminded me of "Wonder Twin Powers...Activate"

Great job, I enjoyed this film very much.

Peace,
    Larry

6. Collapse Details
    I really dug this one. It was like an episode of Adam West's Batman on acid.

I thought you could do without the tracking shot in the beginning. It's a cool maneuver, but I felt it slowed down the flow of the beginning.

I really liked the little details, how each character's last name revealed clues about their superpowers. I loved the over the top characters and that the actors never broke from their roles. It's hilarious after Tom closes the door and Gary does that big goofy smile before walking offscreen. Kind of reminded me of the Coen brothers Fargo.

The shot of Burns jumping on the roof is a little sloppy. It stands out. I would either clean it up, or take it out. It's already established that he's got funky powers when he lights the grill so losing the roof shot would give you some trimming room.

The zoom out to the house for sale signs could use some trimming. You started the shot before the zoom and it looks sloppy and automated. If you cut into the zoom you'll mask that jerkiness.

Loved the costumes, and sets. Egselent work...

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member MiataFilmSomething's Avatar
    [quote=mjmcneese2]Miata, you do need to watch this again...this is one of the most entertaining movies in the fest. Have you ever seen 'A Clockwork Orange'? Where they pin the guy's eyes open...I'm gonna do that to you until you agree that I have good taste in short film.

"That's right folks, your dear narrator, broken and weak, was strapped into a chair and forced to watch this movie over and over. Not even the comfort of Ludwig Von to keep him company..."

I watched this again. I'm sorry dude, it's just not there for me.

I mean this as a compliment, honestly: I think this is a movie you either love or hate. With movies like The Matrix and Napoleon Dynamite, you can say for the most part that people either love or hate it, there's little in between. Usually, I am the person that always loves it, and fights back against the nay sayers to defend the movie. But I'm on the opposite side on this one. Anyone who didnt' like a movie that I did before, I would basically say that "You just didn't get it", and if anyone wants to say that to me now, it is welcome and I even deserve it.

Pros - Some great camera angles and movements, and vibrant colors. I enjoyed many of the visuals. I also liked the quick montage sequence of the family using their super powers for household tasks, it really helped the premise of the movie. I liked the name Dr. Toxic too. It fit just right for this film.

Cons - The acting. I'm sorry, I'm probably alone in this, but it was just way over the top for me. I guess I've done a few improv things, and felt like it was an improv troop attempt. There's also the concept of glass houses too though, my acting was sub par in our movie, but that's explained in the thread...
    The looks on the faces many times were just not funny to me.
    I just didn't get it if they were super heros they were serious, and secret identity they were goofballs, but they were both at different times.

Overall - I'm accepting the blame on this one, I didn't get it. Ignore this post...
    "...and knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence..."

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataFilmSomething
    I watched this again. I'm sorry dude, it's just not there for me.
    Man, you're missing out. This is in my top 5.
    Mike McNeese
    Director of Photography

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataFilmSomething
    I just didn't get it if they were super heros they were serious, and secret identity they were goofballs, but they were both at different times.

Overall - I'm accepting the blame on this one, I didn't get it. Ignore this post...
    I loved this film a ton and a half but this was my one quandry as well. The characters are extremely goofy, and then when they are planning with the map, they are serious. Sandy changes her voice to the quirky when they hear Tom at the door, giving the impression the corny voices and such are cover. But then they are quirky and weird again when they are going to save Tom, and not undercover. That is being extremely picky and it is the only thing I found strange about the film. Everything else was superb, and i LOVED the acting.

10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member MiataFilmSomething's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmcneese2
    Man, you're missing out. This is in my top 5.

At least I tried again, most people don't even do that...

So, there.... and what's up with chubby lookin' doctor on your banner???
    "...and knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence..."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast