Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    There Goes The Neighborhood
    Hello hello hello -

Directed by a girl. Photographed by a boy.

We filmed this on an HVX.
    We borrowed a bunch of lights from our friends.
    We rented flags n scrims from a rental house.
    We lost a bunch of footage and so we had to beg the rental house to lend us the HVX again. They cheerfully obliged.
    We lost some pieces of our crane down an elevator shaft.
    We made costumes out of boys' and girls' undies.
    If you look carefully at the side of the blue passat, maybe you can see where our director/editor threw up all over the side of her car the night before. Hangovers during shoots are a bad thing. A very bad thing. Don't mix fruity rum drinks with beer, my friends.
    Filmed on location in Minneapolis, Minnesota and Apple Valley, Minnesota.

Okay, and for the geeks, here's the relevant stuff:
    edited on final cut pro
    composites completed in adobe after effects
    color correction completed in final cut pro
    kino-flos and arri fresnels and chimeras
    lions and tigers and bears
    dolly was made with loving care by our carpenter friend, who moonlights as a real estate agent in the film. We wanted to ask our real-life realtor to act in the film, but ran out of time. Here's his website - he's awesome. http://www.realtorbobwilliams.com/

Okay, that's it. See ya.
    Last edited by conrad_johnson; 06-05-2006 at 09:42 PM.
    joey

2. Collapse Details
    Acting was GREAT!!! I smiled the whole way through. Very simple (good in a 5:00 movie)...well executed.
    Mike McNeese
    Director of Photography

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Great Acting!

Great Visuals ( I smell HVX here. Am I wrong?) Particularly the first shot of the empty house. I liked that, it looked very spacious.

Great/Funny costumes.

Story was "hmm" but I liked the overall. Good job, Conrad.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

4. Collapse Details
    Oh man! I was rolling on the floor when those do gooders were at door. The way they were laughing and acting so fake! I loved the actors. I know people that act like them. They were like door to door cult member recruiters or something. It reminded me of "Strangers with Candy".

Excellent!
    Music & Film : noct.us | Last.fm | Vimeo | isara.com

5. Collapse Details
    yes conrad great film , was the movie dvx or hvx filmed ???????

peace n luv

Mark Dog

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks so much guys. yeah, we shot this one on the HVX, a very nice camera indeed. We had a lot of fun, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    joey

7. Collapse Details
    That was pretty good. Those people irked the crap out of me. I would kill them too if i had to live next to them. American action squad... ASSEMBLE! My kids were dying on that one. My daughter was like why does he have a garbage can lid if hes a super hero. The funny, consistant acting was great. It was almost like a kids show like power rangers but in a good way. Good job.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

8. Collapse Details
    People need to be talking about this more. This was well-executed in every category. I will question you on the CC at the scene where Mr. and Mrs. Powers discover that Tom's been captured...everything looked like it had a green CC tint.

Can't critique you on anything else, though. Like I said before, the acting is very strong, very fitting. Good choice of music. The lighting is top-notch...it looks so appropriate, a lot of people are gonna overlook it.

Well done...this is one of the most entertaining!
    Mike McNeese
    Director of Photography

9. Collapse Details
    I was drawn to this, particularly because I live in Minneapolis and I went to high school in Apple Valley. I actually live less than a mile from Realtor Bob Williams!

Awesome film. The acting was perfect, which is about the last thing that most indie filmmakers concern themselves with. I loved the evil lair, the props were right on. Could have used a few more dutch angles, but it was fine without them. ;-)

My only concern was that the "reveal" wasn't paced quite right. I knew it was him before the music and reaction confirmed it for me, that shot just dragged on. And then then post-action scene seemed a bit too long also. Otherwise, the pacing and editing were fantastic!
    Last edited by The Noble Robot; 06-06-2006 at 02:29 AM.

10. Collapse Details

"American action sQuad.. AssemblE!! "
    Was Great!

My Thoughts:
    Over the top, quirky, great acting.
    Sound was great for the most of the movie. Did you ADR or was it the original?
    Only sound I didn't like was the BBQ outside.
    The FX work here was great with the fire.
    When the realtor hands him the keys the expression on the main guys' face is friggin' hilarious! It set itself up to be a quirky movie right off the bat. Like a really bad commercial in happyville or something.
    I think some of the scenes were perhaps a little over exposed? but, it was consistent.
    I think the film paced well and the acting was entertaining enough to keep my attention.
    I agree about the end reveal. I would have liked to see his face first. I wasn't quite sure if that was actually him or not. Instead he comes in looking right at the ground. Not really an establishing angle that we've been used to. You don't really see it until he cocks his head and walks off camera. I would have liked to see that earlier to establish that was him.
    I think if the entire sidewalk was filled with for sale signs that would have REALLY made the movie great and just really hammers home in that the neighborhood is indeed... funct.

Great short, great comedy. I had fun watching it.

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast