Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool Blaine, glad you liked the film...and I agree, the music when he is changing is my favorite also.

That's a cool song, it does SO fit the movie. I read the rest of the lyrics and it actually also ties in with an alternate opening we talked about. We talked about having a small boy, 3 or 4 years old, with a towel tied around his neck like a cape and have him playing with his superman action figure. Then we would fade to the main actor in the same location...perhaps wearing the same color clothes. Thought it would be a neat look with the small child fantasizing about superheros and then he grows up and becomes one.

Anyway, thanks for posting the song...glad you liked the film.

Peace,
    Larry

2. Collapse Details
    Rebel with a cause Kirk Gillock's Avatar
    Very nice story Larry and well made. I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing that jumped out at me was, at exactly 1:00 minute into it, the man in black is stopped and then he starts walking and the camera starts dollying. It looks like you said "action" and the scene begins. You need to cut a second or two off and just have it cut to him walking. Also, at 4:45 there's all kinds of strange masking going on the left-hand side. People probably already mentioned all these but I haven't had time to read everyone's review. Sorry. But overall I thought the story and acting was great. Nice work!

3. Collapse Details
    Sweet...glad you enjoyed it! I appreciate getting your monk's-eye view on the project

Yea, when the man in black (no not Johnny Cash) starts walking I originally had it start a few seconds later so he was already in motion when you see him. I have heard from a few people now about it starting too early where he isn't moving yet...so I went back into the project files to figure out what happened. I finally remembered that the other end of that shot had a problem also....the dolly ran off the track and so the camera jostles around...when I fixed that I must have altered the beginning of the shot. I'll have to cut it down a little to fix it.

That strange masking is because two kids (extras) walked over and sat on the park bench to "watch the action"....they didn't fit into the mood of the film at that time so I had to cover them up. I ran out of time and didn't get to finish fixing the mask...I hoped the action with the cop would draw people's attention away, but unfortunately the hero looks that direction right about that time...so it is quite noticeable.

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment....glad you enjoyed it.

4. Collapse Details
    hehe, I remember those children in the movie...I thought they were making part of the movie and actually they were nice there!!!
    Yes Larry, the music is close to the sinc, but now we have time to improve and fix everything!!!
    Leandro Gardini -Classical/orchestral/film composer

MSN: leogardini@terra.com.br
    .................................................. .............................

Pacific Ocean
    www.pacificocean.com.br
    Your best soundtrack is here!!!

5. Collapse Details
    Oh yes, we will definitely improve everything! The feedback I'm receiving here is invaluable as I head back into the editing room.

Thanks!
    Larry

6. Collapse Details
    Larry, nice work. I wish I had more to add to the comments, but most everything that I noted while watching it has been addressed.

I think the most important thing is the fact that you placed so much emphasis on the story. The wording of the VO felt very passionate and full of weight. It gave the story a very real feeling.

I know you ran into several bumps along the way, so major kudos to sticking to your guns and finishing a quality short.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

7. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Hey man nice work.

And kudos for making a real superhero movie that wasn't totally gay somehow -- that's why I leaned into the goth curve for mine -- avoid spandex

I thought the story was layed out nicely and the actors were good.

Only technical ding -- howcome we can only hear the asian dude's footsteps when there's like five people walking on screen? lol

I'd find a nice ambient bed of a fair or an outdoor crowd and leave it at that -- maybe keep the footsteps and don't worry about higltinn them too much.

But nicely done.

Jack
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

8. Collapse Details
    snodart - I'm glad you finally got to watch this, and I'm even more glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of discussion with the that reviewed my script about that voiceover...the wording changed several times, though the meaning never did.

There was actually an additional piece of voiceover that I had to cut at the last minute because I couldn't fix the recording enough. It was when our hero was on the rooftop at the end and he says, "When you reach the edge of everything and are about to step into the unknown...faith is knowing you will learn to fly!". I really liked that line and hated to cut it...but it needs to be re-recorded.

There were a couple times when I ran into one problem or another and I really thought about bowing out. In fact three days before the contest deadline my video card died. At the time I thought it was the whole computer dying and I was convinced it was over...I sat, glumily, on the couch and told my wife, "That's it, I'm out of the contest...everything's lost". Fortunately she wouldn't let me give up and I discovered it was just the video card and I got it fixed that evening, so I only lost one night.

But there were a lot of struggles and on top of that I work a full time job out of town which requires a four hours of driving each day (two hours each way)...so it is like working a full time and part time job.

But I decided early on I was entering and short of something catastrophic I would finish the film and enter it!!

So, thanks for the comments, and I'm glad I was able to entertain you for a few moments.

9. Collapse Details
    Jack - glad you liked it, that means a lot especially after seeing the work you produce.

Yea, I just couldn't bring myself to hand a pair of spandex over to some guy and say put this on and then come run around in the park here I wanted an classic, old-school superhero, but I wanted it to be a little more serious like batman begins.

I put an ambience track down, that's what all the background talking, etc is...but there isn't any footsteps in the track. I found the footstep sound effect I used and dropped it on the time line to see if it was usable and it lined up perfectly with the man in black's footsteps....so I used it. In hindisght, you're right, I need to tone it down a LOT....blend it in more with the ambience.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to watch it and I'm glad it was entertaining.

10. Collapse Details
    Larry - good job. You had a straightforward, coherent and cohesive story, a rarity among short films.

A few beefs -
    I question your choices in framing throughout. It felt like a lot of it left too much headroom over the actors, or not enough going on in the frame.
    Also, you really should watch to make sure you aren't letting the sky and various highlights blow out.

good job!
    joey

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast