Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
    Alex is it?

Well done!
    Let's get the technical stuff out of the way.

The score was heroic. Nicely done, Justin.
    i'd just like to give a shout out to justin. not only did he do a great job but he worked really hard. he sent me the first version and we discussed. And this went back and forth until it was perfect. Thanks again Justin.

The audio in places was very good and in others, frankly, I lost what they were saying as the actors either mumbled or the score overpowered the dialogue.

I'll definitely have to work on that for next time. ive been hearing several people with similar complaints.... In this short i tried something new. i used a mic stand instead of a person. i think it worked alot better that last time when i used a boom and operator. In one scene i used an operator and a boom and in fact the audio was of less quality. if you listen carefully to the school scene in the beginning you can sometimes hear the boom hitting something. The audio in those parts isn't has consistent in my opinion

When the protaganist dials the phone, perhaps some sound fx for the dialing and was the cellphone on vibrate? Minor, but noticable.ian

i purposefully left it out. I don't know why but all of the SFX i found sounded cheezy and they detracted from the feeling and mood. so i guess the cell phone was on vibrate. it doesn't really matter. maybe next time i'll do some foley for on set recording. i just didn't like the way any of it came out so i left it out.

The costumes were soooooo grade 9. Man. They were something I would have put together at 14. Nice job with the montage of costume sketching and the final result was worth it. The style and the way they were constructed pointed to a couple of kids and mom's sewing machine.
    i was going for that feel. It was really awqward when i went out and bought those costumes. I went to halloween costume store downtown (NYC) where i got weird looks and remarks from sales people. I kept trying to explain that it wasn't for me and that i was making a movie but they just smirked. haha

Thanks again for the comments
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

2. Collapse Details
    "i was going for that feel. It was really awqward when i went out and bought those costumes. I went to halloween costume store downtown (NYC) where i got weird looks and remarks from sales people. I kept trying to explain that it wasn't for me and that i was making a movie but they just smirked. haha"

You freak!!!
    thats funny, you have to put that in your behind the scenes.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JimtheJib
    i'd just like to give a shout out to justin. not only did he do a great job but he worked really hard. he sent me the first version and we discussed. And this went back and forth until it was perfect. Thanks again Justin.
    you are most welcome. I hope the score helped
    (remember folks.. on the ballot "Score... #10") muhahahahah

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

4. Collapse Details
    LOL. maybe i'll do an interview or two and add some bloopers but im incruch time as they say. i have a videography job on thrusday and exams coming up!!!

i wish i had planned more for behind the scenes.

Alex
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

5. Collapse Details
    some edits to credits added..
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member MiataFilmSomething's Avatar
    Just watched this one. Initial thoughts:

Pros - Loved the art work at the beginning. I'll be honest, from the start of the action I thought it was going to be a cheesy high school student effort, and I guess it kinda was or appreared to be, but you know, there was a really endearing quality to it. I loved the scene with the costumes at the end where they are complimenting each ohter on their costume choices. It was great. They both showed fear and vunerability, something that always touches an audicence when the hero shows his weakness, but still strives on. Great acting during that scene too. Funny twist in the end as well (no pun intended...)

Cons - Took a lot of time on the phone converstaion. Kinda dragged there. Acting was so so until the end.

Overall - A fine effort with some great hidden qualities and underlying themes. Fun to watch.
    "...and knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence..."

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataFilmSomething
    Just watched this one. Initial thoughts:

Pros - Loved the art work at the beginning. I'll be honest, from the start of the action I thought it was going to be a cheesy high school student effort, and I guess it kinda was or appreared to be, but you know, there was a really endearing quality to it. I loved the scene with the costumes at the end where they are complimenting each ohter on their costume choices. It was great. They both showed fear and vunerability, something that always touches an audicence when the hero shows his weakness, but still strives on. Great acting during that scene too. Funny twist in the end as well (no pun intended...)

Cons - Took a lot of time on the phone converstaion. Kinda dragged there. Acting was so so until the end.

Overall - A fine effort with some great hidden qualities and underlying themes. Fun to watch.
    thanks for the honest criticism. thats what this is all about i guess. learning and getting better for the next fest. I was trying to make this film as ridiculus as possible while at the same time have some valid underlying themes as you mention. the actors were just two kids i randomnly picked from school because they seemed to work well together. Im realizing more and more that actors can make or break a film. (especially with in a 5 minute movie where you only have very little time to captivate your audience)

I think one reason why the acting during the telephone scene didn't work that well was because the main actor with glasses was very late that day. So we shot the telephone scene seperately. The actors couldn't play off of the friendship they had in real life. When they did get together at the end, they really worked alot better and produced great results. i don;t think they had worked with film before so that could have also been a contributing factor.

thanks again,

alex
    My Website:

alexwoflewis.com

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Nice Work

Funny and believable world

The actors in the hall were a tad stiff but other than that, great all the way around.

I really liked the way the score worked against the improbabilty that these two would be heroes. In other words teh score wan't tongue and cheek or cute it represented how the kids saw tehmeselves or how they wanted to see themselves, and that gave it a cool Stephen Speilberg Amazing Stories kind of feel.

One place I thought the score was less effective was in the costume reveal scene.

I kind of wanted to hear a record scratch (not like rap music but like someone bumped the turn table) and then just have them play that scene in silence. The more silence the better because they are uncomfortable and feeling sort of goofy. The score didn't make as much sense to me here because it no longer mirrored what was going on inside them for these few beats. In the character arcs, they begin by imagining themselves as great and then start to put that into action -- so the non ironic hero music (which becomes ironic by its lack of irony) works even though these are just kids and not real superheros ... but when they were having a "uh ... maybe its not such a good idea moment" the score kept right on. I think it would be better both in the story telling and the comedic timing to have it cut out.

the moment played well but the audio problens and score were working against it IMHO.

try notching your vocals up alittle in the 3 - 5 k range which can add clarity

the story -- teh story was good and had a nice punch line

most impressive -- you know how to structure and tell a story.

you have an understanding of story sturcture and payoff that rivals most other people in the festival

Sorry I didn't get to meet you at the DVXuser meeting. Hopefully I'll catch you at the next one.

Jack
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography TimurCivan's Avatar
    That was aweosme. Seriously Awesome.
    Cinematographer
    Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

10. Collapse Details
    Alex, I watched this again today and, as MiataFilmSomething said, it truly has an "endearing" quality. Also, just read your comment about how the two actors did better when they had each other to work off of and how actors can make or break a short. You are thinking about all the right things and I am just so impressed by your drive and motivation. Can't wait to see your HorrorFest entry!

MsMaNHaTtaN
    All it takes is a dollar and a dream.
    Producer: Hello, Hello, Twilight Fest 2008
    Visit my Web site
    IMDB Profile
    My Blog: MsManhattan.net

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast