Thread: Submission Info

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
  1. Collapse Details
    Hey Jack Daniel Stanley,
    How do you make your h.264 files look so good. I am looking at your web file of "SHED". I have the same data rate 112 kb and a 40mb file size at a smaller 480 x 270 (6 min). I used quicktime 7.1 to encode my final dv avi into h.264. My movie is not as good as "Shed" but not counting that, my h.264 file doesn't look near as good. Any secrets?

David

2. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Hmm .. I basically use the presets and keep my frame rate and uadio at full quality
    ODD Squad that's on the web now:
    H.264,
    AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
    23.98 fps
    file size is 46.65 MB
    DATA RATE is 913.78 kbits/sec
    duration of movie is 7:08.92
    size of movie is 640 x 272 pixels

you can play with the data rate -- try to get as close to 960 or so as possible. I heard somewhere that that particular number was "good" ... from Disjecta I think, but that was probably with some version of Sorenson.

Theoritically a the highest DATA rate possible would be best, but again I hear 960, and as you can see 912 gave me a 46mb file with full framerate ad 640 pixels.

other than that I sometimes adjust the gamma for dark movies like Shed brightening by lowering the gamma number in compressor to .7, .8, or .9 to get something that works for darker screened PC's. The theory is if I don't hate it on my mac, I know I have brightened it some for PC's though I can never know what it looks like on everyone's screen.

So mostly I just use the presets in compressor, try to get the data rate close to 960, and brighten the gamma just a touch.

I'm convinced that good compression basically works by the "grass is always greener" Ergo, "the compression is allways better on the other guy's movie"
    Other people's movies ALWAYS look better than your own. You see every bit of artifacting or weird compression and when you watch other people's stuff you forget about that and notice the lighting, and story, etc., and then think when its done "wow that was compressed really well"
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I kind of agree with that Jack... about the fact that the other guy's movie always looks WAY better (as far as compression) cause like I don't notice things as much, like you said.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jack. So where do you find that gamma adjustment? I don't see it on quicktime export or my premiere export.

5. Collapse Details
    well that's the problem with questions like this, I'm on a mac and I use "compressor" to make .movs

If your on a PC its kind of a mute point anyway, -- in fact you would want to go the other way ... you would look for some kind of gamma (or brightness) adjustment and make it a point or two darker for all the mac people, the idea being if you make it a little darker, and still like it, then you have a little better chance of it not looking washed out on a Mac.

So that setting is really not all that important, and kind of black magic in the sense that you are "guessing" what your video will look like on another system by screwing it up on yours. -- But the idea is if you are on a Mac, try tweaking it a little brighter - you might actually like it better and then you know you are set because a little darker (which is how it woudl play on a PC) has always been acceptable up until this experiment. If you are on a PC, then reverse the brights and darks in the above.

On a Mac you can set your monitor to PC gamma. Don't know if you can do the inverse on a PC but you could try that too.

But again all of this is stuff you COULD do, but there's a good chance that none of it will make a difference anyway.

If your video is not crazy dark or crazy washed out, then just worry about getting a good data rate for the file size you want.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

6. Collapse Details
    Why Can't I see the location or the address of the Hero-fest. Can somebody please provide the address/directions. And please forgive me if this is the wrong forum/thread.

7. Collapse Details
    You mean to see the movies?

That thread will be up tomorrow or first thing tuesday.

This is the right forum.

Just check the Hero Fest subforum (where you are now)

There will be a new thread that will probably be a sticky announcing the link as up and open.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jack.
    I think my post was confusing. I thought there is a physical location in NYC where the hero-fest films will be screened today. I thought I would go there to watch, as I am in NYC right now. I am a new to the forum so please tolerate my silly questions.

9. Collapse Details
    there is a New York DVXuser meeting today

they did discuss screening Herofest films, but I don't know if they ever got permission to do so (films are not supposed to be scene outside of the forum until the contest is over)

but none of thr New York filmmakers have uploaded their films yet ... so whether they got permission or not, there probably will be no Herofest films there.

People do however screen work there.

Check the Meetings subforum for that information
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=36
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415